Losing weight-malabsorption even while eating? Anyone else?

[Lo...]

I have been struggling so badly with the inability to gain weight since this taper! I’m not absorbing all the nutrients in my food as well no matter how much I eat. Had CT scan a month ago of abdomen and nothing was found. Comprehensive blood work next week.

I’m simply scared out of my mind that something is wrong! As if I need that on top of this taper!!

Anyone else losing or unable to gain weight? I’m desperate to be reassured that this too is a taper issue and will resolve!!

Fondly,

Lori

It is absolutely a taper issue... and not your health failing.  We need to be relaxed in order to digest food.  I just learned this in my health class. Digestion is the first to "turn off" when stressed.  So getting upset or more stressed about the weight loss is obviously going to make things worse.  Knowing that relaxation is key right now - try to do mindfulness exercises to convince your brain that everything is OK and let your body absorb nutrients.

Another thing: Many people rely on Ensure or other protein shakes through this but I found that the Pediasure Shakes to be much more digestable for me. 

Take Good Care! and Keep Tapering.

It is absolutely a taper issue... and not your health failing.  We need to be relaxed in order to digest food.  I just learned this in my health class. Digestion is the first to "turn off" when stressed.  So getting upset or more stressed about the weight loss is obviously going to make things worse.  Knowing that relaxation is key right now - try to do mindfulness exercises to convince your brain that everything is OK and let your body absorb nutrients.

Another thing: Many people rely on Ensure or other protein shakes through this but I found that the Pediasure Shakes to be much more digestable for me. 

Hi Leslie! 

Thanks so much for responding as I was truly getting nervous that nobody else seemed to have this problem.  I hear so much about people gaining weight or having "benzo-belly" that I was really getting myself anxious and worked up about not being able to put on any weight! 

Again, thanks!  And best of luck to you as well!  (hugs)

Lori

Hi Leslie! 

Thanks so much for responding as I was truly getting nervous that nobody else seemed to have this problem.  I hear so much about people gaining weight or having "benzo-belly" that I was really getting myself anxious and worked up about not being able to put on any weight! 

Again, thanks!  And best of luck to you as well!  (hugs)

Lori

Lori you're so not alone in this. :hug:  I have it too. Wasn't able to gain over long periods of time, when I didn't know it was the benzo. Before all this happened, I had been to  the doc and the scale said I'd lost the 3 pounds I had recently gained.  Leslie is correct❤️ digestion needs the relaxation.    I additionally added in fats I could easily tolerate and this has helped me maintain weight, if not gain it.  Keep going!

Cheers! 🌷

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Lori I have struggled with this a bit I have ended up eating a lot sugary stuff to gain weight back.  My GI recently had me take some tests for this, and still waiting for the results. Ill let you know what the tests are