Son Visiting.....

[Fi...]

My 24yr son is visiting.  I’m trying to explain the difference between nerve pain and brain damage.  He has taken the time to do some research to educate himself about Benzo Withdrawal (which speaks to the kind of son he is).  His question is the pain in your head and neck coming from nerve damage or brain damage?  Because the brain can’t feel. 

I don’t really know.  Hoping someone here might. 

Fm

FM,

You raised a good child. He cares.

I do believe the brain can feel. Ask anyone who has had brain surgery. It can hurt.

The pain in your head and neck are most likely benzo WD symtpoms. They could also be due to other things, but for now, you should just think about NOW and not "waht is's."

Pain of all sorts is common in BWD. It IS your brain that produces pain feelings. Benzos affect the brain, not spefically your nerves. Nerves come from your spinal cord. And then travel the entire length of your body. But it is the brain that controls the sensations you feel. Benzo WD affects the brain. And with it comes feelings of pain, unease, discomfort, fear,l anxiety....tons of stuff.

The brain damage that benzos cause has been proven to be temporary in almost all people. Your benzo history is extremely unlikely to have causes permanent brain damage.

Dont dump too much of this stuff on your son. He loves you and wants to help you. Let it rest at that and keep the gory details to yourself. Do not frighten him...he is not a true adult yet.

Bless you for trying so hard! I admire you, FM. Your ARE a fighter.

east  :smitten: :smitten:

FM,

I do believe the brain can feel. Ask anyone who has had brain surgery. It can hurt.

The pain in your head and neck are most likely benzo WD symtpoms. They could also be due to other things, but for now, you should just think about NOW and not "waht is's."

Pain of all sorts is common in BWD. It IS your brain that produces pain feelings. Benzos affect the brain, not spefically your nerves. Nerves come from your spinal cord. And then travel the entire length of your body. But it is the brain that controls the sensations you feel. Benzo WD affects the brain. And with it comes feelings of pain, unease, discomfort, fear,l anxiety....tons of stuff.

The brain damage that benzos cause has been proven to be temporary in almost all people. Your benzo history is extremely unlikely to have causes permanent brain damage.

Dont dump too much of this stuff on your son. He loves you and wants to help you. Let it rest at that and keep the gory details to yourself. Do not frighten him...he is not a true adult yet.

East,

I Love Him So Much!  He’s so amazing.  And he’s been there for me every step.  He said you would do the same for me.  I adore him. 

I think that a very simple (and for me, reasonable) explanation is that in many cases, benzo's are potent muscle relaxants.  WHen they are withdrawn, the opposite happens (muscles tighten, spasm, become inflexible often). 

One area I have had considerable problem with is pain in the head.  From my research it appears likely that the muscles at the back of the neck/upper spine contract and or become tightened.  This also causes them to contract around the occipital nerves in that area - and the occipital nerves being squeezed cause nerve pain in many areas of the head (look at occipital neuralgia).  It also appears to create a feeling of pressure and problems in the ear (which in turn also creates vertigo, floaty/boaty feelings, dizziness, etc). 

In the last two months (I'm nearing a year since CT w/d from valium), my head pains/pressure, etc have abated.  I still have occasional vertigo (especially in the first seconds after lying down but it's minor. 

I think it's nerve pain/damage.  Just like ToughNights says, benzos relax muscles and without the muscles get overly tight.  For me, it's the upper shoulder muscles, right next to the neck.  Massage therapy has helped me a lot with it. 

I think that a very simple (and for me, reasonable) explanation is that in many cases, benzo's are potent muscle relaxants.  WHen they are withdrawn, the opposite happens (muscles tighten, spasm, become inflexible often). 

One area I have had considerable problem with is pain in the head.  From my research it appears likely that the muscles at the back of the neck/upper spine contract and or become tightened.  This also causes them to contract around the occipital nerves in that area - and the occipital nerves being squeezed cause nerve pain in many areas of the head (look at occipital neuralgia).  It also appears to create a feeling of pressure and problems in the ear (which in turn also creates vertigo, floaty/boaty feelings, dizziness, etc). 

In the last two months (I'm nearing a year since CT w/d from valium), my head pains/pressure, etc have abated.  I still have occasional vertigo (especially in the first seconds after lying down but it's minor.

I hope you don’t mind me showing him this.  You explained it with such clarity.  Thank you Tough Night

FM,

East,

I will try not to overwhelm him.  I don’t want our visit to be all about this.  Thank you T

I think it's nerve pain/damage.  Just like ToughNights says, benzos relax muscles and without the muscles get overly tight.  For me, it's the upper shoulder muscles, right next to the neck.  Massage therapy has helped me a lot with it.

Green cup,  Thank You.  It’s certainly painful as heck.  I need to look into MT or PT.  Something.  It’s unbearable.    T

My 24yr son is visiting.  I’m trying to explain the difference between nerve pain and brain damage.  He has taken the time to do some research to educate himself about Benzo Withdrawal (which speaks to the kind of son he is).  His question is the pain in your head and neck coming from nerve damage or brain damage?  Because the brain can’t feel. 

I don’t really know.  Hoping someone here might. 

Fm

Benzos only cause Temporary "brain damage."  It is not the same type of damage that occurs from a blow to the head or a car accident.  The pain in your head and neck is the result of your body repairing the Temporary damage the Benzos caused.  The pain is real in that you feel it and experience the pain, but not real in that there is no underlying medical cause for it, other than Benzo damaged Gaba receptors healing.

I hope you have a wonderful visit with your son!

Kim,

Thank you.  That was very kind of you.    He’s been a huge help.

Theresa

Dont look for diagnosis or whats-that-exactly so much. Withdrawal just brings a lot of shitty symptoms with it. Thats it.

Get good moments with your child, dont let withdrawal be the time killer between the two - put that topic aside for just a while, -this will help your son as well cause you show him not to be overwhelmed with sorrows about you. Its important to talk about the illness but its also important to put it aside actively and enjoy... Happy for you that he came for a visit!! :smitten:

FM,

East,

I Love Him So Much!  He’s so amazing.  And he’s been there for me every step.  He said you would do the same for me.  I adore him.

He sounds wonderful, and researching your problems, what a guy.  No wonder you adore him🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏💙❤️💛💜 Mary

I too hope your visit is wonderful! I think explaining things in simple terms is less overwhelming for all of us! Science doesn't always have to be explained in a complicated way! Hope you're doing well...

Thank You everyone for your kind remarks and support.  It has been great having him here.  We are closer then ever.  I’m not doing better with my symptoms.  Glad though to see my son.  Wishing You all windows!!!!!

F

Thank You everyone for your kind remarks and support.  It has been great having him here.  We are closer then ever.  I’m not doing better with my symptoms.  Glad though to see my son.  Wishing You all windows!!!!!

F

That's great f4me, hope he gets to come again soon!  Mary 💜☮️🙏💙

F

That's great f4me, hope he gets to come again soon!  Mary 💜☮️🙏💙

Mary,

Thank you.  Very sweet of you to say!  Thank you.

F4m

Had A great time with my son.  We put up the Christmas Tree together and he was so helpful.  Telling me jokes, going for walks, talking, it was a blessing a true blessing.

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

Had A great time with my son.  We put up the Christmas Tree together and he was so helpful.  Telling me jokes, going for walks, talking, it was a blessing a true blessing.

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

You to F4Me  :)

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

Thanks and blessings to you! Thank you for all you do in comforting others on this site. You are a bright light that shines in moments of darkness. Keep it up and I believe you will be rewarded in due time.

PG

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

Thanks and blessings to you! Thank you for all you do in comforting others on this site. You are a bright light that shines in moments of darkness. Keep it up and I believe you will be rewarded in due time.

PG

PG,

Thank you!    You are an angel, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  🙏🏼