Benefits of benzo w/d..?

[ni...]

A bit of a provocative title to this thread considering what we are all going through..

However I thought it would be interesting to try and take a step back and consider the ways in which this w/d process has been beneficial to us..

So I'll get the ball rolling and keep it simple (if everyone posting could just name 1 thing at a time for the sake of our benzo addled brains..), for me healthy eating is a big change that has occurred in my life, I used to eat only crap, not its bordering on obsessively healthy...

I think we become more apppreciative of life and live it in a completely different way after going thru something like this and once we finally turn the corner of being healed, it brings tears to my eyes to imagine how I will be living life to the fullest with my family. I’ll never take life for granted!

One benefit that can be derived from benzo w/d is an enhancement of our empathy for others. Be it short term or long term, be it temporary or permanent, while withdrawing from benzos people often experience an extensive range of severe mental & physical symptoms which can heighten our empathy for others who suffer from similar or even more debilitating conditions.

best wishes

We learn that we have the strength and resilience of warriors, not much, if anything, will faze us after surviving this!

Yes, I learned that I have a deep well of strength I never even imagined was there, and really didn't need xanax after all.  It was a long, hellish journey, but in the end it was worth it.

:smitten:

I no longer sweat the small stuff. Seems like stressful life events/traumas that use to present as difficult and challenging are simply easier for me to work through now with NO MEDICATION. Nothing seems anywhere near comparable to the challenges that benzo withdrawal presented to me, and believe me, I have been through a LOT of trauma  :wacko:

I have grow immensely in many ways from this long drawn out, horrific benzo withdrawal experience. Not glad that this happened to us but SO GLAD to be where I am now  8)

It has given me a new perspective on life, human nature and health. I just hope that I am well enough one day that this will be of real value to me.

• 2 weeks later...
My senses are greatly improved.  I can taste things in a way that seems beyond what I have ever tasted before.  I also can appreciate beauty in nature, just looking at clouds in the sky over some trees, seems like an amazing beautiful thing that I can't remember ever enjoying or being taken aback by before. 

My senses are greatly improved.  I can taste things in a way that seems beyond what I have ever tasted before.  I also can appreciate beauty in nature, just looking at clouds in the sky over some trees, seems like an amazing beautiful thing that I can't remember ever enjoying or being taken aback by before.

That's how I felt once I woke up from the benzo haze. I remember cycling in the fall and noticing how vibrant the colors were. It was like nothing I ever experienced before. All the little 'critter's I would see on the trail were especially adorable, even the big green frog. This motivated me to appreciate all the beauty in nature and around me. I continue to do this now although I've been recovered for a long time.

PG  :smitten:

It may sound corny, but sometimes when things are a bit tough, I can draw some strength that I get the chance to face the challenge of a slow taper. So many that have not gotten that opportunity

It may sound corny, but sometimes when things are a bit tough, I can draw some strength that I get the chance to face the challenge of a slow taper. So many that have not gotten that opportunity

Well said and a very good point Matt!  I thank my doc every time I see her for allowing me to taper at my own rate. So very lucky I know.

Well said and a very good point Matt!  I thank my doc every time I see her for allowing me to taper at my own rate. So very lucky I know.

That is so true and that is definitely a blessing for us that have that Dr, so many don't.

I also learned I can truly care for someone I have never met.

There are so many things I've learned in this long, drawn-out process. I tend to cry a lot now and am more compassionate for others. I've also learned to be very thankful for all I have and for my hobbies, which have been put on hold because of anhedonia. But slowly my desire is coming back. I also want to make certain that my life is filled with things to do. I'm not ready yet, but worrying about my health all the time is no fun! Therapy has been a good thing, but it has to be the right therapist. I'm learning to forgive doctors. That's a biggie! And I will forever be grateful for my son, who has stood by me in this and is helping me financially. Without his help and support, it would be very, very difficult, if not impossible. I'm learning to manage my anxiety, even though it's taken eons to do this. I want so much to be calm!

And I have found so many good people who are more than willing to help on BB!! I couldn't have done it without the encouragement I've gotten. Forever grateful!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

The benefits for me are as follows: I am no longer medicated after a lifetime on drugs more or less, I know the truth about my life, I know my own mind, I have met many wonderful people online, my real life friends have been absolutely wonderful, I also know I have considerable strength after decades of thinking I was weak in some way rather than disabled by drugs.  I am still essentially the same person as I always was but I know a great deal more than I did before withdrawal and knowledge is very important to me.

I also have a much better understanding of my lifetime of health problems, most of which were attributed to mental health issues.

There are so many things I've learned in this long, drawn-out process. I tend to cry a lot now and am more compassionate for others. I've also learned to be very thankful for all I have and for my hobbies, which have been put on hold because of anhedonia. But slowly my desire is coming back. I also want to make certain that my life is filled with things to do. I'm not ready yet, but worrying about my health all the time is no fun! Therapy has been a good thing, but it has to be the right therapist. I'm learning to forgive doctors. That's a biggie! And I will forever be grateful for my son, who has stood by me in this and is helping me financially. Without his help and support, it would be very, very difficult, if not impossible. I'm learning to manage my anxiety, even though it's taken eons to do this. I want so much to be calm!

And I have found so many good people who are more than willing to help on BB!! I couldn't have done it without the encouragement I've gotten. Forever grateful!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Oh Yes Terry,

What you say is so beautiful and I can certainly echo much of it.

I try not to waste a moment when I can do things -- and I appreciate small things so much more.  I know I have more patience around almost everything and everyone.  The suffering we re going through is like going through a fire: and we will be tempered like steel when we come out the other side. 

Nice to see you here Terry!

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

The benefits for me are as follows: I am no longer medicated after a lifetime on drugs more or less, I know the truth about my life, I know my own mind, I have met many wonderful people online, my real life friends have been absolutely wonderful, I also know I have considerable strength after decades of thinking I was weak in some way rather than disabled by drugs.  I am still essentially the same person as I always was but I know a great deal more than I did before withdrawal and knowledge is very important to me.

I also have a much better understanding of my lifetime of health problems, most of which were attributed to mental health issues.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:Touchingly beautiful LF

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:Touchingly beautiful LF

Thank you so much, you are very kind. 

Best wishes

Fiona  :smitten:

Wonderful post, LF......love you, Mary