A Healing From Xanax

[TM...]

Hello everyone!

I have almost a month off of that poison (Xanax) called medicine, and I have to say that with the month of June at a close things couldn't be feeling much better. I am at about 95% today. Most days are in the 90% area, but the first two weeks after my final dose there were some downright sh!*ty days. Days where I felt like just taking another Xanax for the anxiety I just didn't give in. I have to say though it has gotten exponentially better.

The cog fog has gotten quite a bit better. I can remember more. A lot more. The mild symptoms of d/r and d/p at times have come to a close and haven't felt them for almost two weeks.

I'm sure being away from home and on vacation has certainly helped. The beach has been wonderful. Every day sunny, going out every day into the warm water to swim and get some good exercise has certainly helped. The family has been one of the strongest support structures around me since they love me unconditionally and will not judge me. They all are glad that I'm off the Xanax.

One thing that I noticed that has gotten better since before even taking the Xanax was my fear of being in restaurants that are very crowded. I know, weird... But I have always been sort of anxious when it comes to restaurants. I don't know why, I just seemed to always get uncomfortable in them. However, being at the beach on vacation the past two weeks and going out to eat, I have been unafraid. Not anxious at all.

My sleep has improved. I don't feel as fatigued as I was to start off with. I have a lot more energy during the day and I can sleep better at night. I remember I used to have so much trouble sleeping prior to using the benzos. I don't seem to have the nightmares any longer. Dreams are not intense and scary. These intense dreams have been replaced my dreams with tranquility and calmness. They are dreams again. However, the bottom line is, that my problems with sleeping have seemed to cure themselves in the withdrawal process. I am sleeping again like I am supposed to be. It is truly wonderful to sleep normally again.

I am happy that I am almost to day 30. It is a great feeling of accomplishment. My vacation ends saturday, but I am ready to get home and get back to work. I'm also ready to spend my summer after my senior year of high school with only a few friends from high school with 'the time we have left.' I feel nostalgic, but happy. I'm excited for college in the fall.

Please remember that if you are still struggling in withdrawal, that things will certainly be better. It goes away, no matter what. You just need time.

Thank you to all the buddies for being here for me in my support network!

...and a little child shall lead...not that you are a child, but you are a child to me.  Thank you so much for sharing your struggles and your success. We need more young people such as yourself.  Live life to the fullest!  Continue to stay the course

Hi there!

Isn't it funny, and fantastic, that your pre-benzo anxieties are actually better? I have also found this to be true, and its great (same issue with crowded restaurants actually!)

Well, congratulations to you ! Good job on your speedy recovery!

ican

Thank you for sharing your story..I really do appreciate it.

I am 2 days off and needed to hear that things get better.

I wish you many sunny days!

wonderful! i'm thrilled to hear that your body reset its good sleeping habits, and am on the way there myself :yippee:

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE reading success stories. YOU DID IT!  And a fast taper yet.  Thank you for the encouragement I badly needed today.

Today is the day in which I will declare myself healed from Xanax, I am at 100% and have been the past several days. I didn't even really realize I was healed until today because I truly just never thought about the withdrawal since July 22, 2010.  :yippee:

The only reason that I thought of withdrawal this evening was because my mother asked me, "So, how is the Xanax withdrawal coming along?" to which I replied, "Oh, wow. Actually, I haven't even thought about it or noticed it since last week."

My mom was happy to hear this, and I was in a moment of epiphany. Since I just didn't even realize that it was over. I just felt so normal. I didn't feel any of the lingering symptoms since I came off the Xanax. The one symptom that was most annoying was derealization. The derealization happened at the same time every evening. Between the hours of 6-8PM I just felt it at some point. It was just like, "ugh... okay... great."

Overall though, in retrospect, the moments in the past 7 weeks since I completed my taper off of Xanax, I have to say that the moments of the derealization improved greatly. They seemed to reduce in length and intensity over the course of the withdrawal. At the beginning, d/r would pop up at random times during the day. While I was on vacation the d/r happened from the hours of 5-10 PM. After vacation the d/r waned down to about 2-3 hours a day total between 6-9PM. Then in mid July, the length of d/r seemed to reduce until it was just gone last friday.

I finally feel healed from this!

Tonight, I went into my bedside table and found the Xanax pills sitting in there (since it was the "just in case" per se ones, since I thought things might get awful.) I took the pills out and went to the bathroom and dumped all the pills into the toilet. And flushed. I tossed the bottle too. The best part about the whole thing was that I knew I didn't need the "just in case" pills. I felt truly liberated by the fact that they were gone forever out of my life.

I feel grateful that I have been able to get past this so quickly. Things are so much better than they were just a month ago. I feel happy and serene.

To those of you still struggling here are some words of advice. Don't worry so much about how long it may last because it is a question that no one can really answer. I thought just a month withdrawing from Xanax was not going to happen. I stayed strong and just kept going. I accepted the fact that this may go on for more than 6 months, and it didn't.

I am one of the ones on the 'easy' side of the spectrum that got over this quickly. There are others that are on the 'hard' side of the spectrum that have been recovering for over a year. I also had relatively mild symptoms with some mild dysphoria and a little bit of unease.

Bottom line, "this too shall pass." and you never know for sure when it will be over, whether it may be a week, month, (and don't be scared) a year.

For all you know, it could just be tomorrow! (and let's hope it is!)  ;)

I think that this story is important for a few reasons:

When people come to benzobuddies, it's very easy to get scared after reading through the threads here, especially if you are looking to get off your benzo. For the majority of short-term users like timer, the withdrawal will most likely be NOTHING compared to the withdrawals of people on benzo's for years. I think this is a good reminder to the many who are benzos short term, or just a few months, that although you may experience discomfort, chances are you wont be experience the horrendous slew of side effects that the members on here are discussing.

Congrats on stopping xanax before you really got sucked in!

HotelYorba,

I couldn't agree with you more. The reason I wanted to get off of them was because I started to notice that it wasn't really going to do much for me in the long term. I felt that at about 8 weeks in, that it was time to discontinue. I just read too many horror stories about things getting ugly with these drugs. I figured it was best at this point to quit them. I originally quit c/t, but then things got a bit ugly, so I weaned off on my own accord after a doctor wanted to actually up my dosage.

I think that this story is important for a few reasons:

When people come to benzobuddies, it's very easy to get scared after reading through the threads here, especially if you are looking to get off your benzo. For the majority of short-term users like timer, the withdrawal will most likely be NOTHING compared to the withdrawals of people on benzo's for years. I think this is a good reminder to the many who are benzos short term, or just a few months, that although you may experience discomfort, chances are you wont be experience the horrendous slew of side effects that the members on here are discussing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I LOVE you!  :smitten: