Can you help me with a plan for Trazodone?

[...]

I've been on Trazodone for about two years.

Start date: Monday, July 5th

Dose: 50 mgs

Tablet dose: one

Number of tablets: one per night before bedtime.

Taper rate: 10% of my dose every 7-14 days.

Cylinder details: Do you think I'll need a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments or can I dry cut my tablets?

Thanks for all of your time. I really appreciate your help.

Suz -

Since trazadone is not a benzo, I'm virtually certain Colin would not be comfortable creating a formal titration schedule for you.  You can do an informal titration by desolving your tablet in water and removing a bit more every day.  A 100 ml cylinder makes it easier to measure how much your remove; for instance, removing 1 ml a day would be a 1%/day reduction which results in a taper rate of 10% every 10 days. 

You can, of course, dry cut your 50mg pills but won't be able to cut them small enough to do a 10% taper.  I had to quit trazadone as well.  It really wasn't working for me any more and I went down 25mg a week until I was off (started at 150mg).

Hope that helps.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply Beeper. Colin asked me to start a new thread on this titration forum, but I'm not really sure what that means, as opposed to other forums I see.

The other idea I've been reading about here is a milligram digital scale. To me it would make the most sense as I could control a more accurate amount. I've seen them listed on Amazon for around $35. Do you know much about this type of method?

Yes, the traz isn't working for me anymore either. I'm a wreck in the morning, feel like I have a hangover, and even if I've slept 7 hours or more, I still am groggy and I can't kick in to feeling normal during the day. My work suffers so I think my body is telling me that it's time for a change....

No, I don't know about using a scale to dry measure but another member did post about that sometime in the last few months.  Maybe you could do a forum search on the term "scale" to find what others have posted.  $35 sounds pricey to me but it's all relative to it's value to you.

I know you are going to feel so much better when you are done with the traz.  And I think it will be out of your system pretty quickly so you will probably feel better the very first day you are free!

Thanks Beeper for being so positive!  ;D I agree that I will feel so much better. Just being off Klonopin for 9 weeks I feel like a new person!! But when I was down in the dumps I didn't think recovery was ever possible.

Happy Independance Day.

Thanks for your reply Beeper. Colin asked me to start a new thread on this titration forum, but I'm not really sure what that means, as opposed to other forums I see.

Sorry about that Suz, Colin probably didn't realize you were talking about trazadone. When he gets PM'S asking for titration help, he automatically steers the member to the titration board! So yes, it's the right board, but as Beeper mentioned, we cannot help with non-benzo medication titrations.

Hi Suz,

We can explain the basic idea of how we use titration to achieve smaller cuts, but it would be for you determine the suitability and applicability of the method for use with other drugs. As far as know there are no problems titrating trazadone, but I could be wrong. You should talk with your pharmacist.

Thank you Colin. I'll check with my pharmacist and let you know what he says. Beeper, thanks for sharing your Traz experience with me.

Suz,

You may have read this in your other thread....but I tried to titrate Trazodone..and it really tasted horrible...and it burned my throat and stomach...it was really nasty tasty stuff...

I ended up dry cutting using a scale....I bought from Amazon....it isn't the most precise scale in the world..but it did allow me to dry cut from 150 mg....a really good scale is far more than 35 dollars if you want "pinpoint accuracy"...some of them run well over 150 bucks....but..I ended up going with one that was in the 35 dollar range and it worked fine for what I needed to do...:)  I used the scale until I was able to secure 50mg pills.....at that point I cut the 50mg pills in quarters...I am not sure if this will be too fast or too slow for you...alot of this is listening to your body....and adjusting ....

I wish you well on the Trazodone taper...I have been Trazodone free since 4/16/10 and Klonpoin free for about six days..no more medication for me....woo hoo.....if you can taper benzos..Trazodone is probably going to be a piece of cake...

TC