Dark night of the soul depression

[ca...]

What do you guys do to stave off the deep dark depression.  I had a setback a few months ago and oddly this type of depression is new to me.  It’s one where it doesnt just feel like emptiness, it actually feels painful and the pain expands from my chest and I feel like weeping so hard.  In acute for me it just felt like a void and a nothingness but now it’s a new experience.  No amount of crying can soothe this one unfortunately.  Positivity and hopeful comments use to help and I dont know why it’s so tough for me to cling onto those this time.  I can’t even watch a happy movie without the pain and tears welling up. ugh.  No comedy or heart felt movies so that means Im left without those distractions.  Idk..maybe i’m hoping i’ll find some light here.  What do you do for your depression?

When these moments hit me, usually in the afternoon, I go to the gym and walk, just walk.  If you are capable of any other kind of workout that may also be beneficial.  I feel much better after talking and walking with my friends, instead of reaching for the Xanax bottle. I open up to my friends about my depressiion. No Xanax for over a year now and I am doing better.

Congrats on a year off! i was healing so well till all this happened back in June.  Now I feel like I have gone inward again and can barely talk to strangers.  Do you go to the gym alone?  Or do you feel u need the company and distraction?  It is so cold here with sprinkles of snow.  Im just afraid if I break a sweat I’ll get sick again.  Im still healing from the last bits of bronchitis.

It's so difficult to cope with the physical as well as emotional symptoms of depression.  I've been doing CBT and meditation for a few months now, but it's kind of a band aid approach to a serious issue.  Time itself is the best healer during recovery.Sometimes I think my cast helps me the most.

My depression is sooo bad at 16.5 months off, it’s never been worse. It feels like the end of the world. I’ve been meditating and exercising (as best I can) pretty consistently and still fall into this black depression that I can’t see out of. If it doesn’t improve I might have to go down the antidepressant route, as much as I want to avoid more psych meds on my healing brain.

It's so difficult to cope with the physical as well as emotional symptoms of depression.  I've been doing CBT and meditation for a few months now, but it's kind of a band aid approach to a serious issue.  Time itself is the best healer during recovery.Sometimes I think my cast helps me the most.

Cast?

Thanks for sharing guys. Still struggling here and the gloomy grey winter skies are not helping.  I wish I could be out in the wild or forest but I don’t even have that luxury.  Ugh..this is terrible.