SCARED TO START TAPERING

[ju...]

hi everyone  been using 9mg bromazepan for 20 years .I have taken an extra one in times of high stress but have never upped my dose in 20 years .i still have quite a lot of anxiety and i worry i have hit tolerance as wanting that xtra pill happens quite often  .I am 60  years old and worry its not doable without becoming unraveled after being on for so long .I have broken the od quarter of a pill occasionally,  but i dont seem to be able to stick with it long  .the stories iv read are so scary .had no idea it would be so hard till i read some posts. 

[glow=silver,2,300]Welcome to Benzo Buddies Community Forum![/glow]

Hello justdoitnow!

We are very glad that you found us!

Tolerence happens after being on medication for a period of time.There are quite a few folks your age and older tapering, this is not uncommon. The majority of folks who taper off of benzos experience minimal symptoms & heal quickly.Try not to let the difficult cases scare you. Give tapering a try & see how you do would be my suggestion  :thumbsup:

I would also like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery. You will find many kind, supportive, knowledgeable folks here to help you though your journey. Reach out....

Please take the time to tell us about your history:

CLICK HERE > To Create a Signature < CLICK HERE for a direct link OR go to the top of the page and select >Profile< then click >Forum Profile< then insert drug history/timelines into the text box then click >Change Profile<

Wishing you a smooth & speedy taper & recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's Manual

General Taper Plans      Withdrawal Support (during your taper)  What's happening inside your brain

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5% - 10% every 10 - 14 days  Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video

Hi Justdoitnow,

I know it's frightening...but it's the only way to be healed: to start tapering.

As for myself, I never thought I could be free from benzo, and I am about to jump, after 40 years of ab(use).

You can do it! You only need to be determined..

My best

Hi. Just wanted to welcome you to BB and encourage you that this is very doable. I was also on benzos for 20 years and tapered successfully . The key is to go slow and listen to your body. Use the Ashton manual as your guide and go slower if need be. You have a greater chance for success if you go slow. I understand what you mean about some of the stories here being scary- they scared me too, but not everyone has horror stories- withdrawal symptoms absolutely, but not everyone is bed bound . you can do this .Best wishes- missy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thank you for your reply ,

if i am taking 10,5 mg bromazepan.they are 3mg tablets , if i break one of the tablets in half would that be about  10% .and if i succeed how do i work out 10% of 9 mg  .i dont have access to a scale so il have to be cutting tablets.

i have never been good at maths .and really want to avoid withdrawal .i did try breaking one in half last week and had terrible insomnia every 2nd night  .i went back to normal dose  .i take 1 tablet during the day and 2  and a half at night .really trying to drop that extra 1,5 at night

:-\