Ativan to Valium to Ativan cuz doc did direct switch

[Mo...]

Hey y’all

So my doc agreed to switch from Ativan 1mg to 7.5mg Valium but directly switched, she ensured me it was ok.  Well, it was ok for a few days, had a really good Sunday actually but the good was short lived.  Tuesday i was couch ridden, depression and no energy, no appetite, sore all over and dark thoughts.  I reinstated Ativan at usual dose and yesterday had another good day.  Today, the depression, lack of energy and all other stuff is back.

I’m seeing doc today and asking for a gradual crossover as per Ashton Manual.  My question is, will I be doing more harm if I try again the proper way?

Hey y’all

So my doc agreed to switch from Ativan 1mg to 7.5mg Valium but directly switched, she ensured me it was ok.  Well, it was ok for a few days, had a really good Sunday actually but the good was short lived.  Tuesday i was couch ridden, depression and no energy, no appetite, sore all over and dark thoughts.  I reinstated Ativan at usual dose and yesterday had another good day.  Today, the depression, lack of energy and all other stuff is back.

I’m seeing doc today and asking for a gradual crossover as per Ashton Manual.  My question is, will I be doing more harm if I try again the proper way?

Hi MP-

Try not to even worry about this. Try the Ashton crossover. Also, why is she only crossing you over with 7.5mg of V?  ???

It should be more like 10mg. Many have reported smoother tapers when  starting at the equivalent dose. A 25% drop may bring on symptoms. Also, the no energy, lethargic feeling levels off after a few weeks. The depression is also common for many who use V. It does go away for a lot of people once dose gets lower.

Hope this helps MP

Thanks Bella and PH,

So doc wanted nothing to do with crossover schedule so I’m back on Ativan, at 1.5mg now and doing a 3 month taper per her instructions.  Spoke with pharmacist who says compounding doses can be done so we’ll see.  I’m also increasing Cipralex to 20 mg and hoping I don’t get too many symptoms from this. 

I have a feeling this will be longer than 3 months....

Hey MP-

Doing a direct taper staying within the suggested guideline by reducing 10% every 10 days it will take 9 months to taper. Here is a reducing 10% every 10 days

Reducing at the rate suggested by your doctor(1.5mg in 3 months), for a sensitive person, this rate may or may not  bring on some intense symptoms. Hopefully she will be flexible if you are sensitive.

Good luck!

Edit: Removed infected link

Hi MP  :smitten: :smitten:

There's no rush, slow and stable takes the prize. Be kind to yourself, focus on stabilizing for the moment.  :thumbsup: You'll get there!

:hug:

PH

Monkeypig,

Good morning dear!  💕

Just checking in to see how you're doing.  I know things have been a bit rough -- hoping today is better for you.  :smitten:

-PH  :hug:

Thank you both Bella and PH!

I’ve been stabilizing on 1.5 mg Ativan for the last 4 days and it’s been such a relief.  I’ll be on this dose for 2weeks then starting the doctor proposed taper.  I’ll start it and see how it goes but will NOT subject myself to unnecessary unbearable symptoms.  The pharmacist seems to be more on board with a slow taper than my doctor does.  I don’t care, im taking the time I need even if that means paying out of pocket for a private doctor (free healthcare in Canada).

Bella your schedule is fantastic and pharmacist says he can get doses compounded since I’m horrible with math..and will make sure pills are all same manufacturer.

I’ll be enjoying the next two weeks stabilizing and will keep n touch.  You both are pretty awesome people xoxo

Thank you both Bella and PH!

I’ve been stabilizing on 1.5 mg Ativan for the last 4 days and it’s been such a relief.  I’ll be on this dose for 2weeks then starting the doctor proposed taper.  I’ll start it and see how it goes but will NOT subject myself to unnecessary unbearable symptoms.  The pharmacist seems to be more on board with a slow taper than my doctor does.  I don’t care, im taking the time I need even if that means paying out of pocket for a private doctor (free healthcare in Canada).

Bella your schedule is fantastic and pharmacist says he can get doses compounded since I’m horrible with math..and will make sure pills are all same manufacturer.

I’ll be enjoying the next two weeks stabilizing and will keep n touch.

Mp,

Good to hear you're stabilizing and that's it's also a relief.  :clap:  Woo-hoo!

Two weeks sounds like a good solid amount of time.  Do keep in touch when you can, am thinking about you!

:smitten: :smitten:

You both are pretty awesome people xoxo

Aww shucks  :-* 

-PH

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both Bella and PH...not doing so bad on 1.25.  Updose of Cipralex (Lexapro) has helped I believe.  I have an appetite and get out of the house no problem.

Another drop later this week .25...stay tuned!

Again thank you for caring, it means so much!

MP xoxo

Thank you both Bella and PH...not doing so bad on 1.25.  Updose of Cipralex (Lexapro) has helped I believe.  I have an appetite and get out of the house no problem.

That is very good news!  :yippee:

Another drop later this week .25...stay tuned!

Again thank you for caring, it means so much!

.25 is rather large - you okay with that? is your doc pushing the reduction speed?  ???

I'm holding positive thoughts for you dear and sending plenty of hugs your way :hug:

💝💝

-PH 🌷