Remeron

[Le...]

Today my psychiatrist put me on Remeron to help with my insomnia and depression, I've never taken an antidepressant before, but I'm getting on pretty well with my taper and I felt like a antidepressant would be helpful for a long time but have been scared to take more stuff. He said he wants me to try this out and if I can reduce my klonopin a little more he'll switch me to Valium for the remainder of my taper which I'm welcoming with open arms because kpins are down right nasty to taper from a lower dose, I've been extremely fearful of kindling because I'm constany fighting myself not to take more every so often. Anyone have  any luck with insomnia and depression on this drug? I think I am going to commit to taking it unlike the others I've been prescribed. I'm mostly fearful of sexual side effects and everything I've read says Remeron had less reported libido effects. Any thoughts/advice welcome.

I took Remeron for about 30 days.  It really didn't do anything for me.  It might help you, but remember that all Rx drugs have side effects and you run the risk of another taper and/or withdrawal.  You have to decide what is best for you.  What was best for me was to take nothing and tough out the insane insomnia I dealt with for almost 10 months. 

The problem with Rx drugs is that they all eventually stop working at some point.  Most doctors are clueless about benzos and related withdrawal and are just as clueless about ADs.

Also in some recovery circles, many insist that ADs are harder to come off of than Benzos and have a worse withdrawal?

I know lots of people on this forum have had success with low dose Mirtazapine for sleep, but some had a rough time and needed to taper and went through some withdrawal.

My doc also put me on Remeron to help me sleep. I started at 15 mg, which did help me sleep. Then after my most recent large clonazepam cut when I was in a very bad shape, he told me to increase the Remeron dose to control my anxiety, which I did and it did help. In terms of the sexual effects, it is actually stimulating. I'm not taking Lexapro or other SSRIs because they really can cause sexual problems for a lot of people. But Remeron works differently. I also read that tapering Remeron can be hard but at the same time I was told it's not as bad as tapering benzos.

Thank you, I know I'm running the risk of adding more problems but AD are the only thing I haven't tried to help with my depression...I eat great, I do yoga everyday and meditate. Yet, still I'm having so many problems with my emotions. I've had depression since I was like 14 and I'm almost 30 now, I think I'm ready to at least give it a try. I hear so many people who had success (even if for a short while) with AD. I guess I just want to find out if these can help me in the short term, because I definitely don't intend to be on them forever.

Remeron works better for sleep in lower dose.... 3.75 mg or 7.5 mg the max.

I was on it 3 times after my first CT benzo and it destroyed my life those two drugs. For me was very hard to come off  remeron just as hard like benzo.

I'm not saying it will happen to you too, but it can. Some people come off easy some people find just as difficult as benzo withrawl

Just be carful.

I would never took any drug again in my life. I'm not sleeping only 3-4 hrs, good night 5-6 broken hrs but I would still not take any medication again.

I hope you chose what is best for you.

My suggestions... do as much as exercise you can and it will help depression. I went to CBT for 3 months and they told us there over and over,  exercise is better for depression then depression pills. That's what I would do if I would able to exercise.

Good luck

Vica

Remeron is hard on me physically,  although mood wise, It  helped me at the time.  I  was placed on it for the first time earlier this year for mood starting at 15 then up to 30.

I was going to taper down to 15 from 30,  but I had to stop my taper at 22.5,  since I was also tapering valium at the same time, and doing 2 things at once wasnt ideal.

My valium taper is almost finished, and wondering how slow I should taper from 22.5 to 15 of remeron? 

Remeron is hard on me physically,  although mood wise, It  helped me at the time.  I  was placed on it for the first time earlier this year for mood starting at 15 then up to 30.

I was going to taper down to 15 from 30,  but I had to stop my taper at 22.5,  since I was also tapering valium at the same time, and doing 2 things at once wasnt ideal.

My valium taper is almost finished, and wondering how slow I should taper from 22.5 to 15 of remeron?

What learned over 2 years and a lots of research ...taper only 10% or even 5 % if is to hard for you every 4 weeks.

Yes it can take years specially the last 2 mg you have to go very slow.

Good luck with your taper

Vica

I hope it works for you and quite a few people try it or use for sleep.

I have to tell you, tho, for me it sent me off a cliff into acute... 2 years ago still very, very bad.

Up til then no problem with a klonopin taper, and I was quite low.

Since then went to valium and can't get off and just very hopeless now.

I hope it does help you.

I think many people ascribe their symptoms to Remeron when they may be due to benzo withdrawal. The only way to find out what is causing what if one stops their benzo taper and keeps the Remeron dose constant for a few weeks. It's a basic rule in pharmacology and in fact in science in general to change only one variable. Only then can the effect of changing that variable be discerned.

My klonopin was constant when I added mirtazapine and felt bad when I took it (increasingly worse), til it was so bad I basically CT off (not recommended at all).

I realize my response may be totally unique and others use it for sleep, which is why I tried it. 

Anyhow it was my undoing so felt I had to mention that.

My klonopin was constant when I added mirtazapine and felt bad when I took it (increasingly worse), til it was so bad I basically CT off (not recommended at all).

I realize my response may be totally unique and others use it for sleep, which is why I tried it. 

Can I ask what were the symptoms on Mirt that you had?  Im on that now as well.  Thank you.

Thank you, I've been too scared to take it for that exact reason, I've decided not to after talking with another doctor who is more supportive of my taper. Once substance is enough for me right now, I think after I taper off completely and get back to normal, (whatever that is?) I'll consider starting an AD.

I would be careful with an AD too.  Many claim ADs can be harder to get off than Benzos and can have a longer more intense withdrawal for some.

Remeron discontinuation was the reason I got on benzos in the first place, trying to get off 30 mg in a month, after 3 or 4 months on it.

Later as my job situation became impossible I started up again (It is a very sticky and seductive drug) at 7.5 and then 3.75, and I haven't stopped in 4 or 5 years. It will be the first thing I drop when I am strong enough.

It makes me hungry and sleepy. But I found for me that on the way down it was nausea, insomnia, and dysphoria. Makes sense right? YMMV, but it's best to keep it low and think of it as very temporary.

Remeron discontinuation was the reason I got on benzos in the first place, trying to get off 30 mg in a month, after 3 or 4 months on it.

Later as my job situation became impossible I started up again (It is a very sticky and seductive drug) at 7.5 and then 3.75, and I haven't stopped in 4 or 5 years. It will be the first thing I drop when I am strong enough.

It makes me hungry and sleepy. But I found for me that on the way down it was nausea, insomnia, and dysphoria. Makes sense right? YMMV, but it's best to keep it low and think of it as very temporary.

Did you take Remeron before 2007 when you started on Ativan? Your signature doesn't mention this. Also, why did you get on Remeron?

Did you take Remeron before 2007 when you started on Ativan? Your signature doesn't mention this. Also, why did you get on Remeron?

Remeron was suggested to me and I did it to find out if I could benefit from anti depressant. It was the discontinuation from this that made me have DP/DR and TMJ and anxiety, and I got a benzo then.

Remeron made me ravenously hungry and I gained weight. I slept while on it, and it made me a little sluggish.

These two things were so dramatic that I used it as needed before that was a legit use.  So I have a little dose now still. Don't even know if I feel it.

I can relate as I'm gaining wait as well. I will have to be more careful of what I eat from now on. Remeron helps me sleep and therefor efunction at work.

Remeron was suggested to me and I did it to find out if I could benefit from anti depressant. It was the discontinuation from this that made me have DP/DR and TMJ and anxiety, and I got a benzo then.

Remeron made me ravenously hungry and I gained weight. I slept while on it, and it made me a little sluggish.

These two things were so dramatic that I used it as needed before that was a legit use.  So I have a little dose now still. Don't even know if I feel it.

You'll get the sleep help at a low dose, like was mentioned. Plus, when I was on higher doses I had restless leg.

If you keep it low you will have less to get down from eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
I started taking Remeron when I jumped off clanazepham, my withdrawal symptoms were horrible and it did help quite. Bit. I’m still going 15mg before bed and doesn’t seem to have any bad side affects thus far. The first ffew times I took the Remeron I was out cold and slept for like 12hrs. It does not have the same affects on me any longer. I would give it a try.

Just want to add that Remeron has made my taper possible.  But I take a very low dose and not for depression.  For depression the dose could be upwards of 30mg.

I take about 5mg or less to help with sleep.  If it "poops out"  I lower my dose and I can sleep again.  I have adjusted my dose, from 5mg to 3.5 to as little as 1mg with no sxs whatsoever.  So for some of us it can work really well.

I simply want to balance out the discussion that meds are always a bad choice.  They aren't.

For me sleep is an imperative for benzo w/d.  Without sleep my sxs skyrocket.

So I choose to be on a minor dose of a AD that is helping me -- and it has helped many others.  There are many ways to get through this ordeal and using something to help with sleep is one of them.

:) :)

SS

Just want to add that Remeron has made my taper possible.  But I take a very low dose and not for depression.  For depression the dose could be upwards of 30mg.

I take about 5mg or less to help with sleep.  If it "poops out"  I lower my dose and I can sleep again.  I have adjusted my dose, from 5mg to 3.5 to as little as 1mg with no sxs whatsoever.  So for some of us it can work really well.

I simply want to balance out the discussion that meds are always a bad choice.  They aren't.

So I choose to be on a minor dose of a AD that is helping me -- and it has helped many others.  There are many ways to get through this ordeal and using something to help with sleep is one of them.

SS

Are you going up and down too with the remeron, or did you just go down to 1 mg? How do you measure those 1 mg doses?

These darn remeron pills are so tiny. I told me doc I wanted to try a compound remeron to taper and he said no. Well I guess it's too much work for him, what a XXXXX.

Becky

SS

Are you going up and down too with the remeron, or did you just go down to 1 mg? How do you measure those 1 mg doses?

Yup I use the remoron kind of as a prn -- as needed -- although i do take some every night.  I get some 30 mg pills and then cut them up with a razor.  It's not exact for sure -- but for me that hasn't mattered.  I also have some 15mg pills that I can cut in half or quarters...  So some nights I take 7.5mg and some nights I take half of that or less.  I usually can tell if I'm going to sleep when i hit the pillow and decide then what I will take.

It's been a very helpful tool for me for the taper!

• 2 months later...

Remeron got me into acute in 6 weeks, low dose (3, then 7...)  .

I sure don't recommend it at all.

That being said agree you need to sleep to taper and I can't find a way so guess I have to accept being on benzos.

;(

Wish had never touched the Remeron, that is for sure.