Amoxicillin & Lorazepam Withdrawal

[sm...]

Hey everybody,

Decided I'd join the forum after getting some great support and ideas over the past few months.  Back in the days of my taper when I could barely read what was on the screen let alone put coherent thoughts together to make a legible sentence.  You have helped me through some very, very dark, hopeless days.

Long story short, things were progressing somewhat after finishing my taper on March 8th. Head pain, cog fog, blurred vision, and some looping thoughts ("Wild Horses" by the Stones played in my mind for many hours, whoa!) were my main symptoms.  About 6 weeks out my right ear began to hurt.  This lasted for about a week so I decided to go to the Dr. just to make sure that there wasn't any infection going on.  Dr. saw no infection just a little fluid in there.  Wrote a script for amoxicillin 250mg 3x day as a "preventative measure".  I saw that the fluoroquinolones were the antibiotics to stay away from so I didn't give a thought to taking the amoxicillin.  I was having a pretty good window that day so I said what the heck!  I had also tolerated it well in the past.  Bad move.

Well, after taking it for 2 days I had the worst feeling of anxiety I've ever had. Just insane! :o  Also didn't sleep a wink for 4 days.  This was 10 weeks ago.  Extreme anxiety was about the only symptom I had none of while tapering.  It's not the same anxiety as before the lorazepam but a more intense, consistent type that I seem to feel in my head.  It's unlike when I got adrenaline rushes back in my taper where it would feel more like nervous tension in my arms & legs.

Sleeping has returned but anxiety, scalp tightness, and intense fogginess has persisted.  My question is, can amoxicillin jack up withdrawal and the nervous system to this extreme? 

I took amoxicillin during withdrawal and did not have any issues, but that's not to say it can't cause problems.  It doesn't do anything to the brain that could set you back or reverse your recovery, but everyone's reaction is unique.  However, given that you've only been off since March, I'd say everything you're describing sounds typical and I would not be concerned about the antibiotics at this point if I were in your shoes.  Unfortunately, this withdrawal process is not linear so sometimes things get more intense as time passes before they finally settle down for good.  But alas, everything will go back to normal in time.

Hi:

I have wondered about this question for sometime...and worry if I have to take antibiotics...since I seem to be so sensitive to almost everything right now.

I think my brain must be working today as I had a successful bit of reseach on the matter and am happy to report the following (MODERATORS - hope my linking is ok  :))

I ran across an article entitled "Seizure complications of antibacterial treatment", where it says that certain antibiotics can have an adverse effect on the CNS. "Beta-lactams are the antibiotic class most commonly associated with adverse CNS events"

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/infectious_complications.html

Now, I know we are not talking about seizures in your and most cases, but I followed up the statement on Beta lactams....which as it turns out are "β-Lactam antibiotics are a broad class of antibiotics that include penicillin derivatives" (wikipedia). That would mean amoxicillin. I double checked and yes, amoxicillin is a Beta lactam.

So, my search led me to a book - Poisoning and Toxicology Handbook. (Jerrald Leikin).  On page 127, under the section "Amoxicillin" it lists adverse reactions in the subsection central nervous system as : "Hyperactivity, agitation, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, convulsions, behavioral changes, dizziness"

http://books.google.com/booksid=0Bw2UJTC_uMC&pg=PA421&lpg=PA421&dq=beta+lactam+antibiotic+adverse+cns&source=bl&ots=W5aqJAorTu&sig=jT1SzY8gkElNAykkDleZ8IJXG0&hl=en&ei=xawsTNXAOcL78AbFluGfDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=amoxicillin&f=false

I would think that I could safely conclude from my short search that the class of antibiotics to which amoxicillin belongs has an effect on the CNS. Sometimes this can be severe, and at the least, according to the Handbook, can be the usual list of adverse reactions related to the CNS.

How it fits into w/d from a scientific standpoint I can only surmise... Maybe after a treatment with the drug, it takes a while  for the CNS to settle down.

Hope this helps.

Nuala

Nuala,

Thank you so much for the research into Amoxicillin/CNS effects.  That's quite a list of effects to be sure.  What I can be certain about is that what I felt like before and after taking the Amox was like night and day.  It's like I was plugged into an electrical outlet while standing in a puddle of water.  What I have to conclude from this is that time is the great healer.  Trying to get some relief by going back to the doctor will only send me back into a vicious cycle of medication side effects and such. Staying away from caffeine and food with excess sugar was something I always needed to do throughout my taper but now my system is so sensitive that taking an Advil or Tylenol will cause extreme anxiety for the rest of the day sometimes into the next.

Thanks again for taking the time to research this!

And ryan, thanks for the good words.

It sounds like you've found out the hard way what hurts, experience can be a cruel teacher.  Good idea to stay away from the guilty pleasure's you used to enjoy, but take heart, you'll enjoy them again.  ;)

Thanks Pamster,  I miss a nice strong cup of Dunkin' Donuts original blend in the morning.  Chamomile tea will do for now though.

No thanks necessary. I seem sensitive to everything too, and need to find the possible scientific reason . Keeps my sanity, if you know what I mean.  :D

Hope you feel better in a hurry. Yep, wish I could have that cup of coffee too!  :)

Nuala

Hi and welcome, sm.  I took amoxycillin for sinus issues and newly diagnosed Lyme's disease with no adverse reactions.  Everyone is different so it could have affected you.  Of course it could just be that your symptoms revved up again which is very typical.

Glad you finally decided to show your face.  Nice to meet you.

Patty  xo

Nice to meet you too Patty!  Wish I could have been around sooner but those days of my taper were really taking a toll on my ability to put thoughts and words together with any sort of consistency.  Am feeling much better now with this anxiety being the one thing that is really hanging on.

If this was ramped up by the amoxicillin I sure wish I wasn't one of those people that reacted to it like that.  But hey, 'dems the breaks.

I see your coming up on 2 years off Xanax.  What are some of the main things that are hanging on with you?

Oh, sm, I never thought I would be here after all this time but I am.  It is putting one foot in front of the other and knowing that I will heal.  I still have breathing issues, hypersecretion from the sinuses, am and sometimes pm adrenalin rushes, foggy head, occasional leg edema, burning feet, belly bloating, rashes, fatigue, muscle and joint pain (minimal now), etc.  I have come a long way from the 90 or so symptoms I had so I know I am healing.  I expect it to come any day now (LOL).  There are only a few with protracted withdrawals on this site so that should give you inspiration.  Again, glad you are here.

Patty  xo

I know the feeling of putting 1 foot in front of the other.  With the journey that you have been through and continue with, you are a lesson in perseverance.  With your attitude, I have no doubt that you will heal.

• 3 years later...

"Beta-lactams are the antibiotic class most commonly associated with adverse CNS events"

Would you happen to know what ones are not on that list?  Please, anyone?