Agoraphobia - blood test

[Lo...]

Need to get blood test done. I've developed a pretty vicious agoraphobia, so getting there is 90% of the problem. Once I am there, I can somehow deal with panic, but getting there is just too much. Trying to calm down, but it's not really working. Anyone have any ideas?

Need to get blood test done. I've developed a pretty vicious agoraphobia, so getting there is 90% of the problem. Once I am there, I can somehow deal with panic, but getting there is just too much. Trying to calm down, but it's not really working. Anyone have any ideas?

I can’t get to appts either. I’m lucky I have someone to take me most times with advanced notice. Can you take an Uber or Lyft?

I can’t get to appts either. I’m lucky I have someone to take me most times with advanced notice. Can you take an Uber or Lyft?

I do have someone to take me and someone to accompany me, and it's still difficult. I do have some Vistaril and I keep it with me should I get so panicked that I need to take 1/2 pill. I think knowing it's there gives me some comfort, but, ugh.

At least the current PA that I see is very nice and understanding of what I am dealing with. The last PA had no sympathy or empathy at all. Thankfully she no longer works at a clinic I go to.

I do have someone to take me and someone to accompany me, and it's still difficult. I do have some Vistaril and I keep it with me should I get so panicked that I need to take 1/2 pill. I think knowing it's there gives me some comfort, but, ugh.

At least the current PA that I see is very nice and understanding of what I am dealing with. The last PA had no sympathy or empathy at all. Thankfully she no longer works at a clinic I go to.

I know how you feel. Some days are worse than others. I remember 1 time when I was in tolerance years ago  I had to have a very kind nurse come downstairs and walk me up into the building. I was shaking so bad. I had no idea that’s what it was. That’s when they gave me xanax which became my go to just in case. Sigh.

I know how you feel. Some days are worse than others. I remember 1 time when I was in tolerance years ago  I had to have a very kind nurse come downstairs and walk me up into the building. I was shaking so bad. I had no idea that’s what it was. That’s when they gave me xanax which became my go to just in case. Sigh.

I think I will be okay. Usually the night before going is the absolute worst as well as right before going there. Once I step out, it gets better but once I am closer to the place, it gets worse again. Then the waiting in the lobby and I get better and then later on, I get worse after prolonged waiting. Then I start getting shaky on the way back, but once I get home, I get overcome by horrid fatigue, but am happy to be home.

I think I will be okay. Usually the night before going is the absolute worst as well as right before going there. Once I step out, it gets better but once I am closer to the place, it gets worse again. Then the waiting in the lobby and I get better and then later on, I get worse after prolonged waiting. Then I start getting shaky on the way back, but once I get home, I get overcome by horrid fatigue, but am happy to be home.

You will do great. I’d say do some EFT tapping but it’s kinda hard to do around other people.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I forgot about it. I might actually do it before going to sleep. I've been suffering with some yucky insomnia/delayed sleep, lately.

Made it back. Yes, the anxiety was a bit less than the last time I went. I could definitely see where it peaked and where it lessened, and it was helpful to give myself permission to be afraid, should I get afraid. Not resisting the resistance to resistance to resistance to resistance to fear.

Amazing, LF, I've been thinking of you and willing you through it.  I was talking to you in my best impersonation, "Don't be bluffed by a feeling, and don't add 'Oh My Goodness' to any new strange feelings.  Try to be not quite so impressed by the feelings.  Being afraid has become a habit.  Accept, accept, accept, utter, utter acceptance">:D

:highfive:

Thanks, abcd. Decompressing at home. A quick phone call to a peer-support line and then listening to Dr. Weekes again. Amazingly, enough, I feel the worst of it upon coming back home. "I did it, now whaaaaaaaat? waaaaaaah!"  >:D

Made it back. Yes, the anxiety was a bit less than the last time I went. I could definitely see where it peaked and where it lessened, and it was helpful to give myself permission to be afraid, should I get afraid. Not resisting the resistance to resistance to resistance to resistance to fear.

Good job!  :thumbsup:

Good job!  :thumbsup:

Thank you. I really appreciate it :)

Geez, I must have missed this, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it. I know it's so difficult. It becomes white knuckle every time I see a doctor. I wish they knew what we went through to have tests and see the doctors!! Just getting out of the house is a very daunting task when a person has agoraphobia. I went through all that, and it was terrible!

Geez, I must have missed this, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it. I know it's so difficult. It becomes white knuckle every time I see a doctor. I wish they knew what we went through to have tests and see the doctors!! Just getting out of the house is a very daunting task when a person has agoraphobia. I went through all that, and it was terrible!

When did you overcome your agoraphobia Terry38 if you don't mind me asking?

i am in the throes of it right now so i sympathize Lorazepamfree. The panic attacks are the worst. I was brave enough to stand in line with my daughter at a cashier last night and had to endure one. I wanted to bolt out of there but didn't want them to think I was shoplifting.

Do you/did you have panic attacks with the agoraphobia?

• 3 weeks later...
[c3...]

Agoraphobia is a freakin nightmare, and what youre saying about standing in line, even, optimist, yep, just waiting in line is pure torture. it sincerely cripples ones entire life.

its the worst thing in the world that is sooooo hard to totally describe - i try to tell people its like, if youre very afraid of heights, and you were forced to stand at the edge of a huge cliff indefinitely, thats kinda what you feel like just walking into a store, its a body crippling panic.

i had it BAD a looong time. i had it before i ever even knew i did, i had no idea what was happening to me, at the movies, in restaurants, i thought i was having wildly strong panic attacks, i was so super duper anxious. months later when i put the pieces together on tolerance withdrawal on a benzo and came across some testimonials i finally put it together.

ill say this, i had it very strong for a long time, all the way through tapering and post, and it was awful, BUT, it HAS diminished considerably. i still have it to a degree, but its not nearly as crippling (i have other symptoms to cripple me lol)

so if youre experiencing it hardcore and it feels so burned into you, like ugh this is just "how i am" now, it WONT be there forever. i still have bouts of it from time to time, but i can actually talk to people now without feeling like i was going to collapse and explode. oh im still antsy and uncomfortable, but its not the full on phobic feeling anymore...usually. lol

Agoraphobia is a freakin nightmare, and what youre saying about standing in line, even, optimist, yep, just waiting in line is pure torture. it sincerely cripples ones entire life.

its the worst thing in the world that is sooooo hard to totally describe - i try to tell people its like, if youre very afraid of heights, and you were forced to stand at the edge of a huge cliff indefinitely, thats kinda what you feel like just walking into a store, its a body crippling panic.

i had it BAD a looong time. i had it before i ever even knew i did, i had no idea what was happening to me, at the movies, in restaurants, i thought i was having wildly strong panic attacks, i was so super duper anxious. months later when i put the pieces together on tolerance withdrawal on a benzo and came across some testimonials i finally put it together.

ill say this, i had it very strong for a long time, all the way through tapering and post, and it was awful, BUT, it HAS diminished considerably. i still have it to a degree, but its not nearly as crippling (i have other symptoms to cripple me lol)

so if youre experiencing it hardcore and it feels so burned into you, like ugh this is just "how i am" now, it WONT be there forever. i still have bouts of it from time to time, but i can actually talk to people now without feeling like i was going to collapse and explode. oh im still antsy and uncomfortable, but its not the full on phobic feeling anymore...usually. lol

Thank you for the worlds of encouragement Luke. You described it very well.

i am in the throes of it right now so i sympathize Lorazepamfree. The panic attacks are the worst. I was brave enough to stand in line with my daughter at a cashier last night and had to endure one. I wanted to bolt out of there but didn't want them to think I was shoplifting.

I don't remember. I was always indoors, and when I had to go shopping, I'd stand by the door and try to think it out. Sometimes I just couldn't do it even though I had showered and gotten dressed. I had to force myself because the garbage smelled and I had nothing to eat. Once out, I'd hurry through and wouldn't even look at the cashier. I'd call home my "safe place." It just faded away, and then I realized I didn't have it anymore. That's what most of my symptoms have done, just faded away...

It WILL leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Luke you describe it soo well. And it does feel burned into me - I seriously question every day is this is going to be me forever. Agoraphobia is hands down my worst symptom. Totally crippling. Ha! yes the collapsing and exploding thing. I swear people must thing I am nuts. I just want to crawl under a rock and hide. I am glad to hear things are getting better for you :) That is encouraging. You were also on Gabapentin too - so might have been a double whammy for you to try and recover.

Hope your work situation is getting better :) I know that I am both looking forward to and dreading going back to work. I think I am looking forward to having a routine again. But I don't deal well with stress at all. Once the panic attacks stop I think I could go back.

I don't remember. I was always indoors, and when I had to go shopping, I'd stand by the door and try to think it out. Sometimes I just couldn't do it even though I had showered and gotten dressed. I had to force myself because the garbage smelled and I had nothing to eat. Once out, I'd hurry through and wouldn't even look at the cashier. I'd call home my "safe place." It just faded away, and then I realized I didn't have it anymore. That's what most of my symptoms have done, just faded away...

It WILL leave.

Oh I sincerely hope it goes away!! Thank you so much for sharing as it is encouraging to hear it does get better.

I have had it now for SEVEN years. But to varying degrees. I could work until a year ago. I could drive for about a year, it really started to become crippling a year and a half ago where I struggle to leave the house. Having children in all of this has been incredibly difficult.

I also feel incredibly ashamed and self concsious of my situation. I just don't want people to know what I am going through.