Are we telling people the wrong thing ?

[of...]

I don’t want this to be controversial but I’m having a hard time seeing people that are so sick years out. I’m having a hard time believing it’s still withdrawal (except for cold turkey people).

Maybe we shouldn’t be telling them it will get better. Maybe they do need to be on an anti depressant.

Please don’t attack the post. I’m just questioning the quality of life if the suffering goes on for so long.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Lo...]

• [of...]

• [Fl...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you raise a very good point.  I don’t see were all this suffering just magically disappears.  And, maybe people do need to be on something to have a good quality of life.  Not sure what it would be.

I wouldn’t say “just except for cold turkey people”.  There are those that did long reasonable tapers and still aren’t healed.  All these labels are meaningless.  You’ve either healed or you’re still in the recovery process. 

T

Well. Idk. I cant take antidepressants is all i know. They give me a movement disorder.

Yeah there are definitely stories of horrible side effects gone wrong. I’m just sad at all the suffering. The long term depression etc

I think you raise a very good point.  I don’t see were all this suffering just magically disappears.  And, maybe people do need to be on something to have a good quality of life.  Not sure what it would be.

I wouldn’t say “just except for cold turkey people”.  There are those that did long reasonable tapers and still aren’t healed.  All these labels are meaningless.  You’ve either healed or you’re still in the recovery process. 

T

Yes yes...true there are long tapers that haven’t healed. That’s what I mean. Cold turkey and still suffering can kind of make sense.

I guess I don’t know what I’m saying. Just seems like something could be done somehow.

For reference - I c/t and I can tell you my only remaining symptoms are physical (and non pre-existing), so I don't think that is something an anti-depressant would help with. I think a better way to put it, if remaining symptoms are anxiety (or of the sort) - then that's not going to "heal" on its own except with some sort of CBT.

IMO - That c/t argument doesn't hold water.

I think people develop an expectation that by this time I should be like this.  And, when it doesn’t happen we hear well....in a few more months it will be like this.  Never happens.  Finally you start to get more depressed because things aren’t evolving the way we were told.  I agree there’s a problem.  Then if you start freaking out because nothing is improving and posting too much then all that kindness from people turns into tough love.  You being either ignored or considered an annoyance, which is exactly how we are treated by family and friends. 

When is suffering not helpful for recovery?

For reference - I c/t and I can tell you my only remaining symptoms are physical (and non pre-existing), so I don't think that is something an anti-depressant would help with. I think a better way to put it, if remaining symptoms are anxiety (or of the sort) - then that's not going to "heal" on its own except with some sort of CBT.

Sam, gotta agree with you on that one. 

My doc put me on Lexapro in the beggining of my wd... oh my God it was horror movie for me! When I quit Lexapro I was experiance sinus issues and I cant talk normal I was thinking and when I was trying to say something I was stopping without any reason! AD are EVIL too not like benzos but they are!

SamSmitty is completely right! They will not helping even to people without benzo w/d!

Sam that’s certainly hopeful but it doesn’t seem to be the norm. I guess it’s not really who is suffering because of cold turkey or not. Just why is so much suffering going on after 2 years or more? Depression, anxiety, dp dr, physical stuff etc.

My doc put me on Lexapro in the beggining of my wd... oh my God it was horror movie for me! When I quit Lexapro I was experiance sinus issues and I cant talk normal I was thinking and when I was trying to say something I was stopping without any reason! AD are EVIL too not like benzos but they are!

SamSmitty is completely right! They will not helping even to people without benzo w/d!

You couldn’t talk normal?    AD’s do that?!  I’m sorry. 

Ive seen many people in person helped by AD’s when nothing else would. People who are functioning and living. I can’t say all ad’s are evil.

I’m just don’t understand how it is still withdrawal after that far out. I guess I should look at it like an injury that is still healing.

Sam that’s certainly hopeful but it doesn’t seem to be the norm. I guess it’s not really who is suffering because of cold turkey or not. Just why is so much suffering going on after 2 years or more? Depression, anxiety, dp dr, physical stuff etc.

Why the suffering?  All the therapy in the world can’t change it.

Why the suffering?  All the therapy in the world can’t change it.

Nope it wouldn’t

The length of this process for some.  In a sense if feels like we become more injured.  I’m far more debilitated then I ever was. 

The length of this process for some.  In a sense if feels like we become more injured.  I’m far more debilitated then I ever was.

It does seem like that. I’m far worse than ever and I’m not even off.

I think I’ll delete this post. I know people have been harme by ad’s and I don’t want to discount that. I’m just going crazy with all this prolonged suffering from so many people.

I also believe a lot of this depression is situational because of the fact that we have no control over what is happening and no forms of relief.   

Are we able to say that some people were not the model of health to begin with? We should also state this is a traumatic event and for some it's harder than others to overcome i.e. form of PTSD which may carry those other symptoms you mention.

Ive seen many people in person helped by AD’s when nothing else would. People who are functioning and living. I can’t say all ad’s are evil.

I’m just don’t understand how it is still withdrawal after that far out. I guess I should look at it like an injury that is still healing.

As you may or may not have seen in a post of mine. It is the restructuring of your brain which is much akin to an injury.

I think I’ll delete this post. I know people have been harme by ad’s and I don’t want to discount that. I’m just going crazy with all this prolonged suffering from so many people.

Maybe so...    you have good intentions and are rightfully frustrated.  As we all are....

Sam, if I had a busted ankle I could cope.  No problem.  It’s when the neurological stuff gets involved I’m freaked out.  That’s a whole different level for me, personally.

As you may or may not have seen in a post of mine. It is the restructuring of your brain which is much akin to an injury.

Are we able to say that some people were not the model of health to begin with? We should also state this is a traumatic event and for some it's harder than others to overcome i.e. form of PTSD which may carry those other symptoms you mention.

Yes that makes sense .... very much trauma