My doc switched directly from Ativan to Valium...is this ok?

[Mo...]

Hello y’all, 

My doc switched me from 1mg Ativan to 7.5mg Valium yesterday.  I was fine last night but today feeling nauseous and light inter dose symptoms.  Doc and pharmacist assured that I would be fine and I know some have done direct switch with minor difficulties.  Should I just wait it out?

Thanks tons I’m ad

MP

Hello y’all, 

My doc switched me from 1mg Ativan to 7.5mg Valium yesterday.  I was fine last night but today feeling nauseous and light inter dose symptoms.  Doc and pharmacist assured that I would be fine and I know some have done direct switch with minor difficulties.  Should I just wait it out?

Thanks tons I’m ad

MP

That is a large cut, but some folks are able to tolerate large cuts.

In the early days of my benzo journey I was on klonopin for 1 year. Back then I was switched abruptly and suffered no ill effects. So one really does not know unless one tries. 

If I were in your shoes I would wait it out for a few days and see how you feel. If symptoms become unbearable, go back up to original dose and begin a symptom based taper if this is an option & agreeable with your doctor  :thumbsup:

Thanks Bella, both doc and pharmacist said that the equivalencies changed and I was at a dose that would cover any symptoms.  I admit, it’s not that bad, I was being too optimistic it would be total relief.  I’m not as revved up with the Valium so I guess that’s good.

I made an appointment with my doc tomorrow for an unrelated issue and will see how I feel and as about gradual transfer if needed.

You’re the best!

Hi there Peaceful Hope,

Well, last Friday and Saturday I changed part of my afternoon dose to Ativan because it was a bit rough but yesterday did all Valium and actually had a pretty good day.  I went to brunch with my husband and a couple friends, went to a food market, had a good long walk in the sunshine along the canal and was ok in the evening too.  Minor stuff compared to interdose withdrawals with Ativan. I’m taking melatonin for sleep and get a good 7 hours/night.  This morning was ok, did all the housework but now I’m feeling deflated and no appetite or desire to do anything.  I’m toughing it out, following doctor’s orders.  Appointment on Thursday and my husband is coming with me.  Doc switched me to Valium but doesn’t want to even look at the Ashton manual ie: gradual substitution but I’m bringing it again anyway.  Wish i had more exciting news...being optimistic though...direct transfer has worked for others!  Wassup with you?

Hi there Peaceful Hope,

Well, last Friday and Saturday I changed part of my afternoon dose to Ativan because it was a bit rough but yesterday did all Valium and actually had a pretty good day.  I went to brunch with my husband and a couple friends, went to a food market, had a good long walk in the sunshine along the canal and was ok in the evening too.  Minor stuff compared to interdose withdrawals with Ativan. I’m taking melatonin for sleep and get a good 7 hours/night.  This morning was ok, did all the housework but now I’m feeling deflated and no appetite or desire to do anything.  I’m toughing it out, following doctor’s orders.  Appointment on Thursday and my husband is coming with me.  Doc switched me to Valium but doesn’t want to even look at the Ashton manual ie: gradual substitution but I’m bringing it again anyway.  Wish i had more exciting news...being optimistic though...direct transfer has worked for others!  Wassup with you?

MP,

it sounds like you are adjusting and getting some relief.  :thumbsup: I'm so glad your husband is supportive.

I'm taking things at a turtle's pace, 🐢 lol.  At last decided on a direct daily micro taper of lorazepam, reserving a split dose across the day and use of valium replacement for later, if needed.  My afternoon dose while small makes me sleepy sometimes and this past weekend I had a nap on the couch where I actually dreamed!  Amazing.  DH let me nap for an hour and a half. 

It's been almost three weeks since i cut dose by half and freaked, so am using this period of sx stability as a baseline.  Jim Hawk has said many times that there is a period of 4-8 days before a cut will present as symptoms (if it will) and I have seen this almost exactly.  I feel a bit better prepared now.

Keep going, MP =) hang in there and let us know how you're faring.  ;D

Hi again PH,

Well it sounds like you’re doing good..sleep and dreaming, that’s excellent.  I am really having a bad day today, sorry not more exciting news on my part.  Direct transfer to Valium did not work for me so far.  Appointment with doc Thursday and I have to convince her to go along with Ashton manual and that what I’m experiencing is not untreated anxiety.  She upped my dose of escitalopram to 20mg and I’m not even considering doing that with the extra anxiety it causes at start up.

I’m so hoping I get her on board.  In Canada it’s hard to get a family doctor.  My husband read part of the manual and he believes me now that it’s not anxiety.

Later gator,

MP

Thanks for the hugs dollface, much appreciated ❤️ I took .125 Ativan and will most likely go back to my previous dose until I see doctor.  I ate lunch and riding it out.  I’m intimidated by the daily micro dose taper but it seems like it is working for you.  Would you please enlighten me as how you do it, in case my doc doesn’t want to go along with gradual Valium crossover?

💕 MP,

Keep in mind that I have been scraping pills for a week - not super accurate lol, and am only starting the actual measured taper today. 

This is my taper chart based on my doses -

http://i.imgur.com/DJCOwvA.png

So I crush tabs, and then place my current dose (BLUE) in powder on the scale. When it's correct I eat it up and chase with water and lick the equipment.  :thumbsup: Very refined, eh?  :D  Tonight is a little less, and tomorrow and so on. Numbers go down verrry slowly. 

I am going to hold at day7 - my son graduates Army basic at end of Nov. and we are driving from DELMARVA area to SC.  I want to give myself the space to adjust if needed.

Without holds, this will all be accomplished in 9 mos.  I try to keep in mind that 9 mos. is a drop in the bucket compared to 17 years of use. 

I really hope your doctor understands the logic behind the gradual crossover.  Did Bella or Jim ever give you a crossover chart? you could do the c/o yourself if you have enough meds on hand.

:mybuddy:

Thanks so much hun, your clear explanation helps tons.  I guess I’ll get a Gemini scale in case my doc doesn’t want to cooperate.  The doc I had before was wonderful but she retired the day this all happened to me and she selected the new one for me cuz she said she would take time to explain stuff to me and listen.  I will have to remind new doc of this when I see her Thursday.

I wish you a good trip and congrats to your son! 

Bella did a crossover schedule for me for 1.5mg Ativan cuz the 1mg doesn’t seem to be cutting it for me, he’s a sweetheart.  I printed it out and will show it as well as c/o schedule.  I’m thinking she’d be up for it since she already gave me the Valium...hope so.  If not, I’ll get the scale and try and replicate what you did.

I only have 4 Ativan left as she gave me Valium, only enough until Thursday though.

I just took .25 Ativan 30 minutes ago and feel better already.

I’m pissed at the many docs who said to keep taking it, I expressed my concern but was told otherwise.

Thanks again PH, very sweet of you to share your time  :smitten:

You're welcome MP, glad I was clear.  :idiot:

If you're going to do a direct daily taper, do use Jim Hawk's program or ask him to run a chart for you. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a successful appointment Thursday! 

No THANK YOU!  I just watched the video on page 15 of the Gemini scale heading...both your xplanation and that video have made it less daunting.  I’m currently off work and hoping to be back by the holidays...either technique i’ll Be able to use while working I guess.

Cheers PH!

MP