Worried about dementia risk

[Fa...]

Hi-I am a new member. I am tapering off ativan, after reading about a possible link to increased

risk of dementia. I am in bad shape, I can't eat or sleep well, I am so worried about getting

dementia/Alzheimers because of my prolonged use. Just reaching out.

Hello Friend!  That was my fear for a long time, after that link was initially proposed.  My understanding is that further research demonstrated that there is no positive connection between Benzo use and early-onset Dementia.  Rest easy!

It's too late (for me) to be concerned about dementia and long-term use. I'm more concerned about potential damage from glutamate & other reactions from withdrawing & discontinuing benzodiazepines after long term use. It's my understanding that my receptors may have been restructured from long-term benzo use and that withdrawing & discontinuing benzos may lead to more adverse symptoms. best wishes 

Fi Addendum-Thanks for your response, best wishes to you.

I Am Dave A-Thanks for your response. Do you happen to remember where/when you saw that study info?

[14...]

Hi-I am a new member. I am tapering off ativan, after reading about a possible link to increased

risk of dementia. I am in bad shape, I can't eat or sleep well, I am so worried about getting

dementia/Alzheimers because of my prolonged use. Just reaching out.

I actually think high anxieties can lead to health anxiety the more you read or research and then it morphs into the what ifs

and spirals down into more anxieties. 

A very quick search turned up this:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305922.php

Great link Thanks Dave    :thumbsup:

I'm so glad I saw this because my psychiatrist has been talking to me about this for several years. Even though I've looked the information up and it seems to be true it's hard to imagine going off Clonazepam after 30 years. The first 20 years the psychiatrist I had said they were fine because I had an anxiety disorder. Back then the so-called psychopharmacologists thought every mental problem could be fixed with drugs. I'm working with a new therapist now and I'm getting help for the anxiety and I told my Psych I'll start tapering then. I'm 65 and have had chronic insomnia for 4 years since my mother passed away. I did that for so many years that I don't know how to start a life now.

I'm so glad I saw this because my psychiatrist has been talking to me about this for several years. Even though I've looked the information up and it seems to be true it's hard to imagine going off Clonazepam after 30 years. The first 20 years the psychiatrist I had said they were fine because I had an anxiety disorder. Back then the so-called psychopharmacologists thought every mental problem could be fixed with drugs. I'm working with a new therapist now and I'm getting help for the anxiety and I told my Psych I'll start tapering then. I'm 65 and have had chronic insomnia for 4 years since my mother passed away. I did that for so many years that I don't know how to start a life now.

Tikobird, thanks for posting. I’m 62 and I just found out

about these studies. As soon as I did, I’ve been obsessed

with researching these studies; my fear of developing

dementia/Alzheimer’s has kind of been an obsession

for the past week. Are you/how are you handling this?

Hopefully, I'll be going off within six months to a year. I think it's the psychological dependency for me and not addiction. I definitely don't want dementia at any cost. If you're like me you might be terrified of what to do when you're without them. This is very frightening for both of us after taking them for so many years. I feel for your anxiety. I'm in the same predicament. Keep in touch with me here. It's important we stick together on this for support.

I'm quite nervous about this too.