Advice please

[Al...]

Hi came off valium the wrong way and had an awful time 2 years ago then did it the right way with no withdrawal effects. Due to a recent marriage breakdown i have got back on valium for short term. Im prescribed 5mg x3 a day and this is day 4 taking it. My doctor has told me to cut it to 5mg x2 a day on friday. I want to know can i go to 5mg once a day the next week and then 2.5mg the fourth week and then 0 and be unlikely to get withdrawal effects. Or is there a better less risky way to do it. I got off it last year very slowly as per the ashton manual but i had been on it a year at that stage. Any advice so greatly appreciated. Thanks

right so i've had 4 days on 15mg. and today is day 5 and ive taken 10mg. so if I stick with the 10mg for lets say 4 days and move down to 5mg for 4 days and then 2.5 for 4 days that will be 16 days in total on valium. Should this minimise risk of withdrawal????????

Have been taking 15mg for 4 days, 10mg today and will do another 3 days at 10mg. Then 4 days at 5mg and 4 days at 2.5mg. Should this minimise any risk of withdrawal. Only went back on it due to bad breakup but im feeling a lot better now. Came off it last year the wrong way and then the right way after 6 months. So im determined to not fall into that trap again

Have been taking 15mg for 4 days, 10mg today and will do another 3 days at 10mg. Then 4 days at 5mg and 4 days at 2.5mg. Should this minimise any risk of withdrawal. Only went back on it due to bad breakup but im feeling a lot better now. Came off it last year the wrong way and then the right way after 6 months. So im determined to not fall into that trap again

Hi Alleycat1511-

This may work but keep in mind every time you go on & off benzo there is increased potential for kindling to occur.

I don't know your history and why you think this might be the best way but I'll just say listen to your mind and body as you go through this.  Getting off fast doesn't work with this medication so be careful.

Hi Alleycat1511-

This may work but keep in mind every time you go on & off benzo there is increased potential for kindling to occur.

Bella,

There's no evidence that kindling exists in benzo wthdrawal. This is all speculation and anecdotal. This is rather alarmist to any new BB and the link to wiki (which isn't a reliable source for anything) could cause panic or despondancy. I think we can say some have a rougher withdawal 2nd or subsequent times around but again many BB's have not found this to be the case. Check Blaggybums progress for example. The major charity in the UK BAT give no credence to this theory and they've 30 years experience of getting people off of benzos.

The mods on BB do a good job but please keep it factual. Until we can find peer reviewed research that proves kindling exists (as exists for alcohol withdrawal) my view the mods should refrain from using the term. Yes some find it more difficult 2nd time around for many reasons and it's fair enough to say so but equally some don't.

Staz

Hi Alleycat1511-

Bella,

There's no evidence that kindling exists in benzo wthdrawal. This is all speculation and anecdotal. This is rather alarmist to any new BB and the link to wiki (which isn't a reliable source for anything) could cause panic or despondancy. I think we can say some have a rougher withdawal 2nd or subsequent times around but again many BB's have not found this to be the case. Check Blaggybums progress for example. The major charity in the UK BAT give no credence to this theory and they've 30 years experience of getting people off of benzos.

The mods on BB do a good job but please keep it factual. Until we can find peer reviewed research that proves kindling exists (as exists for alcohol withdrawal) my view the mods should refrain from using the term. Yes some find it more difficult 2nd time around for many reasons and it's fair enough to say so but equally some don't.

Staz

Staz-

There's no evidence that kindling exists in benzo wthdrawal. This is all speculation and anecdotal.

Tell that to the thousands of those who have suffered from one of these "non existent" phenomenon....

The mods on BB do a good job but please keep it factual. Until we can find peer reviewed research that proves kindling exists (as exists for alcohol withdrawal) my view the mods should refrain from using the term.

This is just your opinion...take it up with Colin and maybe you will hear his opinion  :thumbsup:

Yes some find it more difficult 2nd time around for many reasons and it's fair enough to say so but equally some don't.

I agree...it is also my opinion that anyone asking for advice based on others experiences should be warned of the possibilities....any one who has experienced the suffering caused by kindling or tolerance and has empathy and understanding, would probably agree.

Bella

but I've only been taking it for 7 days. I did 4 days on 15mg, 3 days on 10mg. surely someone can advise me of the best way to be off it inside the 3 week mark.

Hi came off valium the wrong way and had an awful time 2 years ago then did it the right way with no withdrawal effects. Due to a recent marriage breakdown i have got back on valium for short term. Im prescribed 5mg x3 a day and this is day 4 taking it. My doctor has told me to cut it to 5mg x2 a day on friday. I want to know can i go to 5mg once a day the next week and then 2.5mg the fourth week and then 0 and be unlikely to get withdrawal effects. Or is there a better less risky way to do it. I got off it last year very slowly as per the ashton manual but i had been on it a year at that stage. Any advice so greatly appreciated. Thanks

You've been taking it in such a short time that you can likely taper off it pretty quickly, less than 4 or 5 weeks.

I am going to be honest with you l do not think you will have a problem as you say you have only been on 4 days.Sometimes overthinking causes more problems.l know everyone will tell you to take your time l think getting off quickly shouldn't be a problem.

I am sure lots of people will tell you to take your time however the longer you are on the more dependent you will become.Keep doing what you are doing.

Hi Alleycat

Please do a symptom based taper.  If your body is telling you to back off, do not cut at that time, wait for symptoms to improve to a tolerable level, then cut again.  With valium it can be anywhere from 15-30 days between cuts depending on how you metabolize the drug. Cut no more than 10% at a time.  Listen to your body.

I hope this helps

thanks guys. listen i was on it for 8 months and came off it reeeeeeeeealy slowly and it worked with no withdrawals from 10mg. But the fact im only on it 7 days means i reckon i can drop to 5mg on friday for a week then 2.5mg for a week then nada. Or could i just stop now seeing as im only on it 7 days? im on 10mg

I am going to be honest with you l do not think you will have a problem as you say you have only been on 4 days.Sometimes overthinking causes more problems.l know everyone will tell you to take your time l think getting off quickly shouldn't be a problem.

I am sure lots of people will tell you to take your time however the longer you are on the more dependent you will become.Keep doing what you are doing.

I agree. I think the overthinking is from OPs anxiety disorder itself. You can quite easily stop after 4 days of taking a dose that's not unreasonably huge.

10mg is a large dose. How long ago where you on it for 8 months? / how long have you been sober? Did you recently relapse?

Hi...

I think your on the right track.. -middle ground, if you will... :)

Stay in touch as you go, and if things change re-assess...

-If only there werent so many "what ifs" with tapering... :(

Food for thought..

Im not sure how "handy" you are with pill splitting, but perhaps a slight improvement?? Would be to do smaller or smoother decreases that still equate to the same or similar amount over time..

Im so not the math guy... but 1/4's of a 5v tablet could give you say a 1.25v reduction every day or two... It may be a little smoother??, but im not sure if it would be enough to stress over were pill splitting to be a concern or difficult...

But mainly, -just best wishes as you go...

:)