experience requesting workplace accommodations?

[se...]

Hi,  Does anyone have experience requesting workplace accommodations while going thru or recovering from w/d?  Or do you know of someone who may?  I've requested a modification that's supported by my doctor but I haven't heard back from my employer and it's been awhile.  I'm not sure of the process and how the ADA plays into it, etc.  Helpful thoughts and/or information greatly appreciated!!  Thank you

I provided a Dr note to HR citing stress levels however had a candid conversation with my boss. It was fairly obvious something was up so I didn’t want to hide from it. Do you have that type of a relationship?

Thanks for your message.  Yeah, sort of.  I provided a Dr.'s note too and they're going to let me take some additional time off (new development today) but I don't think they care about the situation so I gotta look out for myself because it's a pretty intense and fast paced environment.

I do!

I brought a note from my NP that stipulated I was not to work outside of the scheduled work day, essentially placing me on light duty. The note was very respectful of my privacy, simply stating that I was under her care for "the acute exacerbation of a chronic medical condition." I was more candid verbally and in person, explaining to my direct supervisor and closest teammate. I was not going to be able to hide how sick I was, and I decided I had no room for shame in this journey. It was a risk, but it paid off! My supervisor was understanding and discreet, never asking me to work overtime and allowing me to make pretty liberal use of my PTO. I managed to satisfy the basic requirements of my job...not much else, but it was enough. When my taper was over and I started feeling a bit better, my NP wrote another note clearing me for full duty again. Been trying to step it up again since then. I really think I would have lost my job without the accommodations, but they did the trick and were implemented with professional courtesy.

I hope you're able to do something similar, seltzerer! Good luck!

I do!

I brought a note from my NP that stipulated I was not to work outside of the scheduled work day, essentially placing me on light duty. The note was very respectful of my privacy, simply stating that I was under her care for "the acute exacerbation of a chronic medical condition." I was more candid verbally and in person, explaining to my direct supervisor and closest teammate. I was not going to be able to hide how sick I was, and I decided I had no room for shame in this journey. It was a risk, but it paid off! My supervisor was understanding and discreet, never asking me to work overtime and allowing me to make pretty liberal use of my PTO. I managed to satisfy the basic requirements of my job...not much else, but it was enough. When my taper was over and I started feeling a bit better, my NP wrote another note clearing me for full duty again. Been trying to step it up again since then. I really think I would have lost my job without the accommodations, but they did the trick and were implemented with professional courtesy.

I hope you're able to do something similar, seltzerer! Good luck!

Thanks, Gwinna!  This is very helpful!  Absolutely re no room for shame.  I was riddled with it for a long time and got into a much worse situation because I was too afraid to speak up about it.  No more.  That proactive solution I'm sure solved so many unforeseen problems.  Great ideas!