TC. Getting ready to start titration

[vi...]

i go see my doctor today to refill my valium rx. i'm at 13 1/2mg, ready for 13 in few days.

i would like to start water titration then if i'm set up. it's a funny thing how confusing this

is for so many of us at first. what pills should i get? it comes in 10, 5 & 2. thankyou. shall

i get 10's and 2's for now?

violet,

some moderator will be by to answer your question

i just have a tiny bit of input...did you know valium comes in a liquid?  Perhaps that will help you to titrate?  I've heard people say that they take a small amount of liquid and put it into a drink.

i wish you well on  you continued titration.

take care,

truck

truck

you are kind to stop by with the liquid valium info. i knew, and had forgotten!

will definitely talk to my doc about getting that.

hope your days are getting to be more bearable. love to you, v.

truck

you are kind to stop by with the liquid valium info. i knew, and had forgotten!

will definitely talk to my doc about getting that.

hope your days are getting to be more bearable. love to you, v.

violet, glad to help,

here's a link to a photo of liquid valium label..hope it helps you

http://ashtonbenzomanual.com/liquid_valium.jpg

take care sweetheart,

love, truck

Hi violet,

The great thing about titration is you can make your reductions really small using whatever size pills you have.  Professor Ashton didn't use titration in her study since Valium comes in such small sizes, she was able to cut the pills all the way down.  Getting the 2 mg pills would be a great idea whatever process you decide to use to be free!  Have you seen the titration videos we have on this board, they're very helpful if you're not sure what it involves.

Before you can ask for a titration schedule from the team, you'll need to provide some information.

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Dose: the dose you anticipate you be taking at the start date (in mgs).

Tablet dose: the dose of your individual tablets.

Number of tablets: the total number (and/or fractions) of tablets you take per day. Examples: 2 tabs; 2.5 tabs; 0.75 tabs. These are the number of tablets (not doses), and the tablets used must be of the same dosage (strength).

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

off to doctor very soon. confused now whether to order more pills (10's and 2's) or liquid, because i would like to start titration quite soon. violet

Always try to get the smallest dose possible so the 2 mg would be best, and liquid Valium might be good, but it will probably be more expensive.  And really titrating is just making liquid out of Valium, so might as well go with the tablet.  Up to you of course!  ;)

so even if i'm using 5 or 6 2mg pills is that better than bigger ones? do they dissolve better?

violet,

i don't know what dose you're on now so i don't know how to answer.

please post your total dose and how you break it up now (i.e. 1x per day or 2x per day) then i'm sure someone can help you figure out what you need.

take care,

love, truck

well i set off for dr. appt. and i got the wrong day and time!

my insurance covers liquid valium, so i may get that. though i can see the potential of making mistakes with squirting the liquid. since my short term memory is often gone. may settle for pills because of that.although i love the thought of the slow and steady w/d from titration, TC style :). still up for conversation, no rush for deciding. right now i'm at 13.5mg valium and will to to 13mg in a few days. thanks truck and pamster. v.

Hi Violet....

Pam gave you all the info you need to set up a titration..when you return from the doc..if you could answer the questions Pam asked..we can get you started....we can get all the information to Colin and come up with a solid plan for you that suits your needs...:)

TC

thanks sundazed

i've a question.

i just wrote out all my answers for the titration and got the red message saying someone else was

sending in a reply to the thread. anyway i lost what i'd written. this has happened a couple of

times. any idea what i can do to avoid that happening?

violet

Yes it means that someone else is posting on a thread at the same time as you.  If you get that message, just hit post again and it should take it.  I'm sorry you lost all of your information. 

I guess it would be cheaper to get the larger dose of Valium pills since you're going to titrate, I'll let someone who has titrated answer your question about what size pills to get, just in case you don't go for the liquid.

TC and PAM :)

here is my info.

i'd like to start july 1 or thereafter.

will be cutting from 13.5mg to 13mg on that day.

tablets i have are 10's and 2's.

my insurance covers liquid valium as well as tablets.

i like the idea of not dealing with pills, but will do whichever you think is easier and safer for a benzo brain.

i'm happy to take 6months doing this then i could jump be done by 2011!!!

i don't have a tube. is it reliable enough to use the cup and tablespoon method?

any more questions?

thank you vvvvv much :smitten: :smitten:

Violet, you should be able to reduce slowly using the 10's and 2's  with no problem.

If you are starting at 13.5 and reducing to 13 over a 7 day period,  you will be reducing at a rate of around 4% per week, and that should be very doable using a combination of the 10 and 2 mg. pills.

As you get lower , ( like near 10 mg.) you will be able to judge better how you are handling the .5mg. reductions per week, and could continue  at this speed or adjust ( up or down)  as necessary.

st

hello st

thanks so much for your clear and helpful input on the valium reduction. it helps me to know that what i'm doing now is 4% a week, i didn't know that. v.

Violet, glad I could help.  the thing about percentages  is you have to have a starting point, and the higher the starting amount in milligrams , the larger the throwaway will be for a given percentage.

for example  if you start at 10 mg. and want to reduce by 5% per week you would throw out .5 mg per week for 20 weeks

but if you started at 5 mg. and wanted to reduce by 5% per week, you would be throwing away .25 mg. per week for 20 weeks.

Confusing , it can be.

Its this reason that many  can throw away larger amounts in mg's when they are at a higher dose to start, and then have to refigure the amount in mg's they throw away as they get lower.

for me I wanted to throw away .1 mg. per week for 10 weeks.  and I started at 1 mg.    I used titration and stuck to this plan, continueing to throw away .1 mg. per week all the way down, and was done in 10 weeks.

If you start to feel your suffering a bit more as you get lower.    Just hold longer  ( like .5 mg. for 10 days instead of 7 ) or reduce to throwing away .25 mg. per week instead of .5.

I hope I have explained my self clearly enough so you can adjust your reduction  ,in mg's ,if necessary , without worrying too much about

percentages as you get nearer the bottom. :-\

st.

If