Just got Botox for never ending head crap.

[dr...]

Hi all,

I just started this thread to let anyone follow whether Botox works for my daily headaches and migraines. My head shit has been debilitating and while most everything else is better this seems just as bad.  it may not be but months on end of no relief has worn me down. Had the shots today and they were way more painful than I would’ve thought. The Dr said it hurt me way more because my head was already locked up like a vice. 

Dr said it might not work after the first round and to expect more discomfort than usual the first few days. (I really hope not).  I can possibly see improvement in the next two weeks and get gradually more relief as time/treatments continue.  It won’t help everyone but she felt I will definitely see improvement. I’m hopeful as I refuse to take any of the other meds they offer for migraines.

Drew,

I’m sorry you’re still suffering like this.  You were a regular in the first group thread I found on this forum.  You were always so kind to me.  I wish you well.

Sofa

AW Drew, what a drag! That you had to do that. Bonus, you look 10 years younger! Hope it works. And glad that it's the last of it for you.

I assume this is supposed to alleviate muscle tension in the scalp?

That’s part of it but the dr was explaining it settles into the nerves and somehow suppresses the pain pathways and signals.  The pathways regenerate so you need to do it every three months.  They aren’t sure how it all works but no adverse long term reactions seen yet. 

It was discovered to help migraines when people getting it cosmetically noticed they had way fewer headaches.

I had Botox and Lidocaine injections on my scalp years ago due to the extreme head pain it didn't do a damn thing. The only thing that helped was Opiates but i was in extremely severe pain at that time.

I had regular Lidocaine injections also for about a year, scalp/neck/upper back.  The first time, it actually calmed things down quite nicely and I was very hopeful, but it didn't last unfortunately.  I also discussed Botox with a couple of doctors but, because my area of concern is so large, I'd have needed a LOT of shots, and they also said they'd be shooting in the dark.  Very expensive as well.  They weren't confident in my situation and I didn't proceed.

Wish you the best of luck, Drew.

I’m sorry Drew your still in pain...I understand the feeling.. I pray that the Botox helps you..I was suggested Botox for my nerve teeth pain in my mouth and jaw but I’m scared to death of needles

Hugs

TM

I hope it will work for you!!!

I have severe head scalp pain for 2.5-3 years 24/7.

Will follow your treads, to see how  you doing.

Love and healing

Vica

• 2 weeks later...
Okay...about ten days in and the headaches got worse but they warned this could happen for up to two weeks.  What did notice is my vice neck and shoulders are way better so far.  keep you posted as it can take some time to work.

I've been getting botox in my neck for years and it usually takes about 10 days or a little more to start working.  And it does work.  The only problem is that it last only about 2 months or less  and starts wearing off  fast.  For some reason they'll only give the injections every 3 months, although they know it only lasts 2. I guess it must be that insurance won't pay.  I've gotten bills before, although I didn't have to pay, for $8000 for just the the botox not counting the machine they use and the doctor and the appt.  It's a total rip off because you know the botox couldn't cost nearly that much and they've been making it for over 25 years that I know of.  Good old big pharma.

May I jump in and ask a question?

I hope I can translate correctly.. For really tight muscles I once got injections into the muscles but it wasn't botox. The injections go into the trigger points of the muscles. First it hurts, then they relax. Its a kind of local aneastethic. Do you know what I mean?

Did you ever get that and does it feel different to botox?

I appreciate any answer, thank you..

Marigold

Perhaps you're thinking of Lidocaine or Marcaine shots, Marigold.  I had  a series of them done 5-6 years ago.  I also had a few "dry needling" sessions, where they just use a needle (no meds).  Yikes, that was super duper painful, I felt beaten up black and blue for a few days after those sessions.  Haven't had botox.

A doctor friend of mine was recently certified to administer Botox. As part of her training she administered to a friend for very bad migraine and then she also received treatment for migraine & jaw tension. She said they use lidocaine with Botox. The lidocaine is to relieve short term pain from the injections but that the Botox is supposed to start working in 10 to 14 days to provide longer term relief up to 3-4 months. There are some risks associated with allergic reactions. I haven't spoken with her to learn the results of those treatments but, I wondered if Botox might help with neuropathic pain? She said for cosmetic work, perhaps 10-20 units is sufficient but, she received 200 units for her personal treatment. It is rather expensive but, she said if the patient has medical insurance & the diagnosis codes are correct, the insurance may pay a portion.

May I jump in and ask a question?

I hope I can translate correctly.. For really tight muscles I once got injections into the muscles but it wasn't botox. The injections go into the trigger points of the muscles. First it hurts, then they relax. Its a kind of local aneastethic. Do you know what I mean?

Did you ever get that and does it feel different to botox?

I appreciate any answer, thank you..

Marigold

I never had that done.  I only had botox.

Today is two weeks  I noticed a big change in the last few days.  My forehead no longer lifts as much from my brows :laugh:  They did say two weeks and of course it took that long. My pain level is much less and I am hopeful. 

Thanks Drew! I was uneasy on the idea and cancelled my appointment for this week but I'm all in for anything that works. I'm scheduled for Nov 9.

Where exactly did you get the injections?

Thanks Drew! I was uneasy on the idea and cancelled my appointment for this week but I'm all in for anything that works. I'm scheduled for Nov 9.

Where exactly did you get the injections?

They give you about twenty of them all over the head, neck, and shoulders.

I ended up getting a bad headache last night but they warned me it will only reduce them in amount and intensity not cure them.  Also, it is still early and the treatments are cumulative.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update...been a little less than a month.  My overall head symptoms are much less at times and when I do get a headache the symptoms like vice neck, pain, and pressure seem less in time and intensity.  i would say my bad head days are at least 50% less.