Please help! Switching to valium from Xanax

[Xa...]

I have been tapering Xanax slowly during the past year.  I used to take 0.5 XR Xanax twice daily and have tapered down to 0.125 Xanax twice daily.  I have read that it would be easier to taper from valium so I took my first 2 mg valium last night.  I don't feel anything from my Xanax anymore - at least not at the 0.125 mg level.  I felt the valium immediately.  While I have read that the Xanax is 20 times stronger than the valium, I am very concerned about becoming more addicted to a new drug because I felt drugged with 2 mg valium.  I'm not sure if I should continue with the valium.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks so much!

According to the clinically proven Ashton Method, switching to a longer half life Benzo such as Valium should assist in your tapering from Xanax. Then you can taper off Valium much easier as your body adjusts. Many links on BB to the Ashton Manual Method.

Best of Luck and Bless You!

Thank you for your response.  Is it normal to feel sleepy on the valium? I was not expecting to feel differently because I thought 2 mg of Valium was about the equivalent of the 0.125 of Xanax I was taking.  Maybe I should take half or three fourths of the 2 mg of Valium?

Thank you for your response.  Is it normal to feel sleepy on the valium? I was not expecting to feel differently because I thought 2 mg of Valium was about the equivalent of the 0.125 of Xanax I was taking.  Maybe I should take half or three fourths of the 2 mg of Valium?

A ratio that I've heard recently is 1mg of Xanax = 16 mg of Valium.  It's important to be quite precise in your calculations as Xanax is such a potent med.

And yes Valium can be very sedating....

:)