Xanax - Looking for a taper method schedule. 8mg a day.

[Ma...]

Ok, so finally after months of watching this forum and reading about this and seeing people's success stories, I have built up the courage to finally make a post and ask about this.  First I'll give a little backstory because I see most people are coming off of smaller doses than I am on, which in no way am I saying it is easier or anything, I'm just very scared and not sure where to begin and I haven't seen anyone at my dose.

I've been perscribed Xanax for 10 years, along with Zoloft that I have stopped off and on quite a few times due to side effects and circumstances, i.e. new relationships, etc.  The dose for Xanax has gradually gone up, I've never taken it any other way than by mouth, never double dosed more than a handful of times in extremely anxiety inducing situations, but I feel the time is coming that I need to come off of it.  I need to do something.  I end up in wds at the end of every month for approximately 1-2 days due to the amount / dose I am given.

110 2mg Xanax 3-4 times per day, but realistically, my tolerance has built up over the years to where 3 times a day is rare and highly unlikely to happen enough to outweigh the days I am hit with a long, stressful day or a day where I have to go into a situation that I know I will be a wreck and end up taking an extra dose due to being up or out longer.  This medicine has not been "as needed" for years.  The doctors know that.  I have been told I am on a thereputic dose many times.  I am diagnosed with PTSD, SAD, OCD, GAD, and Depression.  They have refused to bump the dose up to 120, which would solve so much of my issues, short term, but eventually I know it would bite me long term. 

Xanax does not give me a euphoric feeling, it hasn't for many years.  It gave me a normalizing feeling and suddenly that has ended pretty much, now it's just enough to get by.

I finally broke down to my doctor and Propranololl, once a day, was added into my cocktail, which does nothing but extend a dose out for me and render me almost useless for a bit.  Granted it works amazing for me, it's more of a relaxing feeling than the Xanax to be honest, but I'm not sure and very picky about picking up new medications. 

A couple of visits later I expressed even more concern, due to the fact that even throwing Propranololl in every few days wasn't doing the job and pleaded that something be done, that I needed it.

This is where gabapentin was thrown into the mix.  I have yet to take it.  I don't know enough about the medicine and have read stories on here that it can be a counter productive medication and make things worse in the long run.

I am a mess and this is causing me to be in more of a mess.  I have drug addicts in my family that have completely drained the support system I would have from family members if it wasn't for their use of illicit drugs.  H, meth, opiates, etc. to the point where to them it seems I am an illicit addict, rather than being clinically addicted.  I honestly feel I have nowhere to turn or noone to talk to. 

I have became home bound pretty much, on top of that I am a single parent.  I would do anything for my child to not let them down and this is generally when I will take an extra dose per day or throw that 5th dose per day, when they have an event or something I can not miss.

I am so sorry if I rambled.  It may seem obvious, I have noone to talk to about this and this is very hard for me.

I am currently on 200mg Zoloft.

2mg Xanax 3-4 times per day.  (4 basically always now as stated)

Added in the last 2-3 months...

Propranololl 20 mg a day (I do not take it regularly)

Gabapentin 300mg 2x per day (which I have yet to take as stated above)

My goal is to come off the Xanax.  I am not promising today.  I am not sure if I can handle it at this time of the year.

I have no idea where to get started, what tools I would need, and where I would even begin to start. 

I am very curious on where to begin cutting 8mg a day down.  Cutting down to 6mg was too drastic.  It leaves me agoraphobic.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Again, I'm sorry if I vented too much, but I have noone to talk to and I am interested in doing this.  I don't think rehab or detox like everyone who is used to dealing with people with other drugs suggests would work for me.

A good starting schedule to come off 8mg (4x 2mg) Xanax per day is what I am seeking and how to do it.  If anyone can help, I will be extremely thankful.

I want to get this planned and if it sounds good, I may begin it now.

Titration seems to be the best route for me to try from what I have researched and read on here

Thanks BB,

Manningz

Hi Manningz,

This is not a reply to your request for a taper schedule - I’ll leave that to the experts and I’m sure one will be along shortly. I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Last year I tapered from 8mg of Klonopin to 1.5mg. So I know what it’s like to be on that dose of a benzo. I remember being very scared when I read about the difficulties people were having with much smaller doses.

But I can tell you that you can do this taper. Take it at a speed/pace that your body can handle. Listen to your body more than to the boards here (although do seek out advice, as you’re doing - just remember that we’re all working our way through; if there was a single answer to the withdrawal mess this would be a much smaller site!). Everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for you. Hold when you need to. Remember there is no rush - you will get off of the X, just give your body the time to process its gradual elimination.

One question: have you considered (or tried) switching to a benzo with a longer half-life? It’s not necessary but it may help the withdrawal be more smooth. Just a thought.

Best,

Fiskadoro

Do you dose at the same times each day? Do you experience inter-dose withdrawal symptoms? If there is a time during the day where you feel like you need less, that may be the best dose to start tapering. I found it easier to taper more from the higher dosages than later, from the lower dosages but, I do not recommend going too fast, like I did. Try using the recommended reduction percentages (I think it's 5%-10% every 10 to 14 days but, verify because I'm not sure). Others will likely chime in with suggestions. Take it slow & easy, don't stress the little stuff & you'll be OK. best wishes!

You can do this! I've seen people on this forum come off of similar dose and recover.

It's up to you and your doctor, of course, but gabapentin acts on the same receptors as Xanax (GABA) and hence will prolong or even hinder your healing process. You will basically be adding another drug you'd have to taper off of.

Since you don't have enough pills for dosing 4 times a day, can you take 3 full doses and 1 dose where it's 3/4 of a pill? Don't updose any more than that. Try to be consistent with this schedule, stabilize on it, hopefully, then continue with the taper.

Hi Manningz,

This is not a reply to your request for a taper schedule - I’ll leave that to the experts and I’m sure one will be along shortly. I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Last year I tapered from 8mg of Klonopin to 1.5mg. So I know what it’s like to be on that dose of a benzo. I remember being very scared when I read about the difficulties people were having with much smaller doses.

But I can tell you that you can do this taper. Take it at a speed/pace that your body can handle. Listen to your body more than to the boards here (although do seek out advice, as you’re doing - just remember that we’re all working our way through; if there was a single answer to the withdrawal mess this would be a much smaller site!). Everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for you. Hold when you need to. Remember there is no rush - you will get off of the X, just give your body the time to process its gradual elimination.

One question: have you considered (or tried) switching to a benzo with a longer half-life? It’s not necessary but it may help the withdrawal be more smooth. Just a thought.

Best,

Fiskadoro

Thank you, yes, and grats that's a big jump, I have definitely thought about that, but I am afraid to swap to something like Klonopin, which seems to be their go to from Xanax.  I have tried Xanax XR in the past when I had leftover IRs and it just didn't do it for me I went back to IRs the next visit.  The doctor offered me a substition of my choice on my last visit and, well, from my past experiences I don't think I can do a substition.  The instant kick from Xanax is something I've come too accustomed to, I'm quite afraid of hitting withdrawal symptoms from the Xanax while on the 2 week trials he offered on the swaps.  He didn't even really give me  any positive vibes that  it wouldn't hit me hard when I brought that up and my previous experience with XR.  It scares me to go from one to the other without a backup in case it doesn't work. My current situation won't allow me to have anymore negative effects going on right now, unfortunately, I asked if a cross taper would be possible, but that wasn't something he was willing to do, which I understand, that's when he started listing off more medicines to add to the cocktail, there was 2 more he almost added then decided on just gab to start.  I feel like he is going to continue to add and add.  Each medicine worries me.  I went to the ER a couple of years ago the day before my Rx was due to be refilled because I ran out and the wds  kicked in horrifically and I had nothing to relieve them on hand and they gave me Ativan through IV, 2 doses, and it honestly felt as if I had taken 1 Xanax.  They gave me 1 2mg xanax along with that in the ER and a days perscription to hold me over.  My body couldn't handle it.  I went in at 730ish pm when I could have had my full dose filled at 8am the next morning.  My body and mind just couldn't handle it and that was my first REAL bad experience with wds.  So it's hard for me to convince myself that a sub will work.

Do you dose at the same times each day? Do you experience inter-dose withdrawal symptoms? If there is a time during the day where you feel like you need less, that may be the best dose to start tapering. I found it easier to taper more from the higher dosages than later, from the lower dosages but, I do not recommend going too fast, like I did. Try using the recommended reduction percentages (I think it's 5%-10% every 10 to 14 days but, verify because I'm not sure). Others will likely chime in with suggestions. Take it slow & easy, don't stress the little stuff & you'll be OK. best wishes!

Generally yes, about the same time each day.  I've gotten to where I can hold off a bit between, but yes, I definitely experience withdrawals between doses, even without holding off.  I've been trying to stretch it as much as I possibly can stand without going too far, if I take the beta blocker I can push off even further.  I've just been on the same schedule for so long it's extremely tough to break.  I've been trying.  I want to go at a steady pace, 4 to 3 or 3.5 a day causes withdrawal symptoms for me.  3 pushes it and generally leaves me in a not so great mood, unless I have had a good day, which seems to be few and far between recently.  I plan to go slow when I go. 

Since you don't have enough pills for dosing 4 times a day, can you take 3 full doses and 1 dose where it's 3/4 of a pill? Don't updose any more than that. Try to be consistent with this schedule, stabilize on it, hopefully, then continue with the taper.

Thank you for the positivity, it is a breath of fresh air, believe me, as I stated my support system is almost obsolete due to others who continuously abuse illegal substances like I stated.  It's great to have positive feedback and inspiration.  I'm not used to it!  Those were my exact thoughts on the gab, I don't want to have another drug introduced  that I will have to come off of.  The doctor said it was non addictive, but I always follow up with my pharmacist and she told me to  be careful with  it just last night even though it was listed as not being so.  I've tried half, but honestly never even thought about 3/4... Jeez I can't believe I let that one by.  I may start trying that tomorrow.  The support here has really got me more interested in doing this than I expected I would be, as soon as I can get someone in to help me get started with a plan.

Hi Manningz :smitten:

as soon as I can get someone in to help me get started with a plan.

Have a look here: http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/ . Don't forget to visit the HELP section first.

All the best.

Thanks Jim Hawk!  I had no idea where to start.  I will go over everything when I have a chance.  It was late last night and I wanted to get my foot in the door while I felt up to it, which I am glad I did.  Appreciate it!