Benzo-free at last!

[d9...]

[d9...]

This is definitely a victory, but it feels like it's only the beginning.

I have to rebuild my life after what I assume will be a lengthy recovery.

For now, I hope my brain won't hate me too much for stopping the last few mgs.

[59...]

i came to this section to post my own benzo free day (a dream for the last 10 years) and i see this thread. simply unbelievable!

outis, recovery is not necessarily linear. once the momentum builds up, you will feel overwhelmed by the fast pace of recovery. you will be your happier, energetic self much faster than you anticipate! this i am absolutely sure of!

but since today is my day too and since i now won't start a thread for myself,

I AM BENZO FREE! a few years ago, when i was actively drinking, i'd look at BB and think "others come to BB, taper and then graduate from here... i have been here eight years... i am destined to be stuck here for the rest of my life...." but now i think i too shall graduate from the university of BB!

[d9...]

Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm gonna have to disappoint you.

Today I took my usual dose at night. I didn't even last a day. It wasn't withdrawal, just lots of regular anxiety.

Like I'd said in another post, I was afraid of jumping. Many buddies agreed that jumping felt liberating,

like being released from prison, but to me it was like getting the news I'm being released while still in prison.

The reason is that tranquilizers are the only substances where you taper under the threat of death,

even if the risk of seizures is practically non-existent at low doses.

Anyway, I've decided to take my dose every other day for a while to get used to not taking it.

Thanks again and I'm sorry for misleading you. I was just hoping that if I announced it, I'd stick with it.

It takes such strength to become drug free...congratulations! I hope your healing goes well. You've made it this far, you can do the rest!

Best to you,

Carita :smitten:

Well, I'll be happy for you just the same when you get there.  My stepping off was a bit of a fizzle.  It didn't sink in for a few days.  Within 10 days I had forgotten any obsession of taking my daily dose.

[59...]

Today I took my usual dose at night. I didn't even last a day. It wasn't withdrawal, just lots of regular anxiety.

well done outis! the experiment was worth it. people go through a whole spectrum of withdrawals in BB, ranging for mild discomfort to feelings of terror. we can never be sure of the severity of the withdrawal another person has gone through -- thus the same advice might not work all the time. when i quit my alprazolam in 2008, on doctor's orders, i had the symptoms you mention. the anxiety was thick, gooey, unpleasant and unnatural. the word that comes to my mind to describe it is "chemical." i let it build (i knew not better) and after two days of anxiety, accompanied by complete insomnia, i crashed into the worst depression i have known. after a week, my doctor put me on clonazepam and i got immediate relief. i think it is good you did not let the withdrawal build up. i do not think there is anything psychological about your withdrawal -- i think it is purely chemical.

5 mg valium (0.25 mg alprazolam) is not much to taper off in terms of time! but in this strange world of benzos, the difference between abruptly stopping and tapering it off can be the difference between heaven and hell.

i'll be around to celebrate your benzo free day. i think you should take 4 weeks to get off this 0.25 mg. i feel you will have only benzo fatigue this time (which is relatively tolerable) and no anxiety or insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...

well done outis! the experiment was worth it. people go through a whole spectrum of withdrawals in BB, ranging for mild discomfort to feelings of terror. we can never be sure of the severity of the withdrawal another person has gone through -- thus the same advice might not work all the time. when i quit my alprazolam in 2008, on doctor's orders, i had the symptoms you mention. the anxiety was thick, gooey, unpleasant and unnatural. the word that comes to my mind to describe it is "chemical." i let it build (i knew not better) and after two days of anxiety, accompanied by complete insomnia, i crashed into the worst depression i have known. after a week, my doctor put me on clonazepam and i got immediate relief. i think it is good you did not let the withdrawal build up. i do not think there is anything psychological about your withdrawal -- i think it is purely chemical.

5 mg valium (0.25 mg alprazolam) is not much to taper off in terms of time! but in this strange world of benzos, the difference between abruptly stopping and tapering it off can be the difference between heaven and hell.

i'll be around to celebrate your benzo free day. i think you should take 4 weeks to get off this 0.25 mg. i feel you will have only benzo fatigue this time (which is relatively tolerable) and no anxiety or insomnia.

An incredibly thoughtful post Kpin.  Mary  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
[d9...]

Yesterday I took my last dose. Today I'm finally benzo-free (for good this time).

I'm by no means healed, but I think it's time to move on. Thanks to everyone who's supported me.

I must also thank the universe for Ashton without whom I don't know what I would've done.

To all of you who are still tapering all I have to say is go (reasonably) slow and you'll get there.

[ef...]

Yesterday I took my last dose. Today I'm finally benzo-free (for good this time).

I'm by no means healed, but I think it's time to move on. Thanks to everyone who's supported me.

I must also thank the universe for Ashton without whom I don't know what I would've done.

To all of you who are still tapering all I have to say is go (reasonably) slow and you'll get there.

Congratulations Outis!

It has been 5 days. How are you faring?