How long does liquid for titrating last?

[Ly...]

How long can I keep the vodka/water solution once I prepare it before it would be no good to use?

I just made up a large batch of solution 20 pills + 100 ml liquid, but having difficulty with my tapering, so I am switching to mostly tablets with very little liquid solution.

If I find my difficulty is because of the "vodka" and I have to switch to another solution--same question.

How long can I keep the vodka/water solution once I prepare it before it would be no good to use?

I just made up a large batch of solution 20 pills + 100 ml liquid, but having difficulty with my tapering, so I am switching to mostly tablets with very little liquid solution.

If I find my difficulty is because of the "vodka" and I have to switch to another solution--same question.

You are combining 3 non-perishable ingredients.  It will not spoil, and the benzo will not degrade of lose efficacy.  It could last for months.  But it can be subject of contamination from bacteria or fungal growth.  Even that doesn't "spoil" it, but it can make it a little unpalatable.  If you keep your containers and equipment reasonably clean, I assure you it can be kept for at least 2 weeks with no problem.

That's why I always suggest a 10-14 day batch  (To estimate, multiply start dose X 10)

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a valium/diazepam liquid solution that I can make that would have an UN-refrigerated (room temperature) life in a brown glass bottle of perhaps 7-14 days, mostly for when I travel and refrigeration is either not available or is sporadic.

I have all of the graduated cylinders, bottles, etc on hand.  The question seems to be the suspension liquid used.  I've seen it suggested that a vodka/water/valium suspension might work ok.  I suppose the plan in that case would be to dissolve the pill(s) required in a minimal amount of alcohol (I have 143 proof / 71.5 % by volume alcohol on hand) per the mg/ml dissolution value for valium in that concentration of alcohol, and make up the total volume needed with distilled water.  The amount of alcohol per dose would be quite small... I don't anticipate a problem there.

The question is... does the alcohol and/or water degrade the valium over that period of time or (with reasonable care) would the solution become contaminated and unsafe without refrigeration over that 7-14 day period.  Is there a better solution that might be used in this situation?

Thanks!

Dan

Once again, your combining 3 non-perishable components, diazepam, alcohol (vodka) and water.  It is best stored at room temp, and will not spoil, degrade, lose potency, become unstable, or deteriorate in any way.  It DOES however, need to be stored in a covered container, as the alcohol is subject to evaporation.

Use a ratio of 1mg:2ml vodka:8ml water and you will have a stable .1mg per ml solution.  It can easily be stored for 10-14 days at room temp.

The only risk is the possibility of bacterial contamination from the general environment and/or contact with you measuring/storage/dosing devices.  This would obviously be true of any liquid products you use and store in your condition.  And even that risk is very small if you pay reasonable attention to cleanliness.  And even if it were to occur, it does not really "spoil" the solution (its still usable), it jst makes it a little unpalatable. Using an alcohol solvent (vodka) minimizes the liklihood of this happening.

I'm looking for a valium/diazepam liquid solution that I can make that would have an UN-refrigerated (room temperature) life in a brown glass bottle of perhaps 7-14 days, mostly for when I travel and refrigeration is either not available or is sporadic.

I have all of the graduated cylinders, bottles, etc on hand.  The question seems to be the suspension liquid used.  I've seen it suggested that a vodka/water/valium suspension might work ok.  I suppose the plan in that case would be to dissolve the pill(s) required in a minimal amount of alcohol (I have 143 proof / 71.5 % by volume alcohol on hand) per the mg/ml dissolution value for valium in that concentration of alcohol, and make up the total volume needed with distilled water.  The amount of alcohol per dose would be quite small... I don't anticipate a problem there.

The question is... does the alcohol and/or water degrade the valium over that period of time or (with reasonable care) would the solution become contaminated and unsafe without refrigeration over that 7-14 day period.  Is there a better solution that might be used in this situation?

Thanks!

Dan

Yes, if this is of any cncern, consider suspending it using Ora-Plus Suspension Vehicle :thumbsup: