Significant weight loss and inability to gain weight during taper! Anyone else?

[Lo...]

Has anyone had a very difficult time gaining weight and losing weight during their taper despite eating?  I'm starting to get scared.  I had a CT scan in April and all was well.  My doctor is sending me for blood work (although all was fine in April as well) to look for reasons (malabsorption and heaven knows what else).  I'm honestly getting very nervous!  I truly don't have the strength to deal with something being TRULY wrong!  As if this taper isn't bad enough!

Just curious if anyone else is dealing with this.

Thanks!

Lori

Hi Lori - weight loss is normal with benzo taper. Your entire body is stressed. There is not a system untouched by this. My thyroid went erratic. Blood work showed acute hyperthyroidism, but everything resolved after the taper. My body weight and thyroid is normal post benzos. Hang in there. Missy

Hi Lori - weight loss is normal with benzo taper. Your entire body is stressed. There is not a system untouched by this. My thyroid went erratic. Blood work showed acute hyperthyroidism, but everything resolved after the taper. My body weight and thyroid is normal post benzos. Hang in there. Missy

Thanks, Missy!

I’ve been extremely concerned about this! Granted, I’ve always been thin. Im only 5’1” and have always been around 98-100 lbs. But for the past few months, I can’t get my weight above 93 lbs! I have been scared out of my mind and convinced that I have cancer! I truly hope the weight comes back as I look gaunt and OLD!  Ugh!!

Lori

• 1 year later...
[b0...]

I lost 30 pounds but I gain some lately. I'm on my second taper and I think the problem is , at least in my case that I not longer take sugar or alcohol and I'm very moderate in carbohydrates. So thinking about the taper and monitoring ourselves all the time make us be more anxious and that have an influence in our apetite and weight.

If nothing show up in your tests and you feel relatively well just eat more!

Good luck!

I'm same.  Now weigh 38-39 kilos.  I think that's about 6 stone.  Eighty four pounds.  Strewth Ruth! 

I've always been thin, but this is  not good.  Thankfully of late my appetite is picking up a bit. 

And the skinnier I become the lousier my skin looks.  Nothing there to plump it out. 

Dee 🥕

I've had the weight loss as well. This time using protein shakes laced with complex carbs like bananas. I've also used pea protein powder in the juicer drinks- carrots, apple, celery-for the vitamins. Using some full amino acid supplements to help protein sparing. You can even add small amounts of cooked rice for blood sugars. Small sips every hour.

When I finished last time, my weight returned to normal. This is my second rodeo. Same thing happened.

Slowly gaining a little back.

If you can access the drinks, it will help. It's discouraging, but can reverse.

Hi all, good to know I' m not the only one with this issue. Earlier this year I lost 6 kilos,  later regained 2 after consulting a dietitian.

Now I ' m slowly losing some weight again. Having IBS in my case means being on a quite restricted diet. Which doesn't help of course. Feeling nauseous every morning is another issue. I try to eat bigger portions and use more fat, butter, fatty yogurt and milk, olive oil. Being thin and losing weight means losing your strength as well. Awful. Good luck to us all.