Valium crossover for 2 benzos

[Li...]

Hi.

Has anyone used the Valium crossover to replace 2 benzos? 

I have been in tolerance/ interdose wd from lunesta for 3.5 yrs. I didn’t know. After many drs and much medical testing, 10 mg lexapro and 1.5 mg Ativan was added , along with a beta blocker. I’ve been in protracted wd from a 50% cut in lexapro inpatient last August.

I have been tapering lunesta, 2 mg, since April, with a 6 wk break for gallbladder surgery. I have only been able to reduce 35%. Symptoms are brutal. I have 50, with anxiety and head pressure, dp/dr being toe worse.

My dr agreed to help with the crossover but would like me to finish the lunesta taper first.

I am very nervous about changing drugs. What if the Valium doesn’t agree with me? What if it doesn’t work? Then what are my options?

I would love to hear the experiences of others. Good or bad.

Thank you. Lg

[5a...]

My dr agreed to help with the crossover but would like me to finish the lunesta taper first.

No need. You could replace both with Valium.

What if the Valium doesn’t agree with me? What if it doesn’t work? Then what are my options?

Most people who "can't tolerate Valium" haven't done the crossover properly.

Even if there's a problem, you'd know soon enough since the substitution is stepwise.

Valium crossover from ativan and lunesta

If you need a new schedule, just ask.

Outis to the rescue again. Thank you. I am taking the crossover and taper schedule that you worked out for me months ago, to the dr on Tuesday. He wanted me to finish the lunesta taper first, but it’s getting bad. Functioning most days, but today not so much.

I told him that you had it all worked out for me, so he wants to see it. This is my GP, and he has no experience with the likes of me, as far as sxs from coming off these drugs. He prescribed the lunesta that began it all. So I think he’s feeling a little guilt. He didn’t recognize tolerance wd 3 yrs ago but neither did the docs I saw in Chicago or Mayo Clinic.

But, in his defense, he had been researching on benzos.org and printed from the Ashton manual a taper schedule for me. I think it was too heavy on the Valium. Yours was more sensible.

I’m still at 1.5 mg of Ativan, 25 Metoprolol, 4.3 lexapro. The only thing that’s changed is that I’ve come down 35% of my 2 mg dose of lunesta. Would that little bit change the evening Valium amount at all?

I’m very nervous about the crossover. That’s why I posted, to get other people’s experiences. Seems I’ve made so many mistakes over the last 3.5 years. I’m hoping this time a get a break.

Thank you so so much.

How are you doing? Are you feeling 100%?🤞🏻

[5a...]

I’m still at 1.5 mg of Ativan, 25 Metoprolol, 4.3 lexapro. The only thing that’s changed is that I’ve come down 35% of my 2 mg dose of lunesta. Would that little bit change the evening Valium amount at all?

So you're still taking the Ativan 5 times daily divided (0.25*4+0.5)mg?

And the Lunesta at bed-time with the Ativan? 1.3mg right?

You've made quite a bit of progress with Lunesta so you'll need less Valium.

How are you doing? Are you feeling 100%?

I'm coping. Good enough to jump in a few days hopefully.

Finally, huh? That must be a good feeling. Good luck.

Yes. That is exactly my drug schedule.

Does the Valium help with beta blocker taper? I tried reducing it per drs orders. Geez. That’s a

B- word too.  I gave it up.

Thanks Outis!!

[5a...]

No benzo will help with a beta blocker taper.

Here's a schedule for your current dose.

Morning  Midday  Afternoon  Evening  Night

Stage 00  0.25A  0.25A    0.25A    0.25A  0.5A+1.3L

Stage 01  0.25A  0.25A    0.25A    0.25A    5V+1.3L

Stage 02  2.5V    0.25A    2.5V      0.25A    5V+1.3L

Stage 03  2.5V    0.25A    2.5V      0.25A    9V

Stage 04  2.5V    2.5V    2.5V      2.5V      9V

Stage 05    2V      2V        2V        2V      9V

Stage 06    2V      2V        -        2V      9V

Stage 07    2V      -        -        2V      10V

Stage 08    2V      -        -        1V      10V

Stage 09    1V      -        -        1V      10V

Stage 10    1V      -        -        -      10V

Stage 11    -      -        -        -      10V

Notes:

1. A, L and V stand for Ativan, Lunesta and Valium respectively.

2. Stages 1-4 could be taken at weekly intervals.

3. Later stages could be taken in 2 week intervals.

4. After Stage 11, you could reduce Valium by .5-1mg every 2 weeks.

Outis

THANK YOU!

I’m so hoping this will work for me.

I will let you know.

I appreciate it. I feel hopeful right now.

It’s been a long time!

xx lg

• 1 month later...

Outis, I hope this message finds you. Still having a hard time figuring out this forum.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me with the Valium crossover schedule. I am on stage 5. Lunesta and Ativan are gone!! I’ve slteady tapered 2 mg of Valium. I’m due to drop another 2 mg tomorrow , but am holding out til after Thanksgiving, as I am hosting this year.

I am feeling better than I have in 3 years. Not perfect, but am so , so much better. I am upright and out of the house everyday. I’m exercising. I have very little anxiety. Sleeping a bit better. Fatigue and the blues are my worst symptoms. Still have some body aches and some weird brain sensations, but no brain pressure. Still some gut issues, but tolerable and am able to eat more than smoothies and eggs, but am still being careful with my diet. No sugar or caffeine. I’ve gone from 60 unbearable symptoms to a small fraction of them and I see light st the end of the tunnel.

I know it won’t be a bed of roses tapering down from 17 mg of Valium, but I have hope for the first time in so long. The tolerance wd from the lunesta was unbearable.

It amazes me that there are people like you that came to my rescue, twice, and took time to figure out a taper schedule for me. I couldn’t have figured it out through my brain fog. My GP was also very impressed. He did some research on benzo buddies and the Ashton manual and liked the plan you figured out for me and has agreed to help me to the end. No pdoc would ever agree to that.

Thank you again. So much. I’m indebted to you.

I hope you are well. I hope you’ve been able to drop that last .5 mg.

Happy Thanksgiving. You will be on my mind on Thursday as I am so grateful for all your help.

Congratulations on being benzo free Outis!

I understand the depression. Hope it’s youre only symptom and it lifts soon.

This is a tough road.

Thanks again!!

Hi Lilgma  :)

Outis helped me also cross-over and planned a schedule for me. I'm down to 3.5mg of V now after 22 years on Xanax. Just as a bit of encouragement, I have found that the lower I have gone, the better I have felt. Doesn't it feel so much better just succeeding at crossing over  :)

Best of luck, and take good care

Harmonee

Hi Harmonee,

Congrats on your taper schedule!

glad to see you are doing so well on it. Since our schedules look alike, But you are way further diwn the path, it is very encouraging.

cross over to V I did in 1 or 2 weeks. doctors orders, I feared everything but went well.

Am now on step 10mg V a day in 2 doses.

Was wondering at which point you are to switch to just ONE daily dose.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Evey Hammond

Hi Evey Hammond  :) Thanks for your post. I have been very fortunate to have found Outis who worked out my schedule  :thumbsup:

Here was my schedule down to 10mg V where at stage 11, I was down to one daily dose (no issues at all). From there I reduced as per my signature. It sounds to me that (like me) you have been one of the lucky majority who can come off this junk without issue  :thumbsup: I am mindful not to take things for granted, but the lower I go the more confident I feel. I still treat benzos with a measure of 'respect' in that I don't want to be too cocksure until I am completely benzo free :laugh:

Once I crossed over, I felt such a relief and a sense of achievement knowing it would all be fine. It was a complete contradiction to the advice many Pdocs had told me over the years  ::)

Take good care, take your time and never look back  :thumbsup:

Hamonee  :smitten:

Morning    Afternoon    Night

Stage 00    0.5mg      0.5mg      0.5mg

Stage 01    0.5mg      0.5mg    (0.25+5)mg

Stage 02  (0.25+5)mg    0.5mg    (0.25+5)mg

Stage 03  (0.25+5)mg  (0.25+5)mg  (0.25+5)mg

Stage 04  (0.25+5)mg  (0.25+5)mg  10mg

Stage 05  (0.25+5)mg    10mg      10mg

Stage 06    10mg        10mg      10mg

Stage 07    10mg        8mg      10mg

Stage 08    10mg        6mg      10mg

Stage 09      8mg        6mg      10mg

Stage 10    10mg        2mg      10mg

Stage 11    10mg          -        10mg

Stage 12      8mg          -        10mg

Stage 13      6mg          -        10mg

Stage 14      5mg          -        10mg

Stage 15      4mg          -        10mg

Stage 16      3mg          -        10mg

Stage 17      2mg          -        10mg

Stage 18      1mg          -        10mg

Stage 19      -          -        10mg

Hi Harmonee,

Thanks for your reply.

So you switched to 1 dose of 10mg/day and than all the way down from there.

i'm on 2x 5mg now. i best speak to the doctor what they think, either tapering twice a day (which I think is preferable) or go up to 1x 10 and slide back down all the way to zero.

Thanks again and good luck!

Evey

[5a...]

Hi Evey,

There's no reason to switch to 1x10mg if you're stable on 2x5mg daily.

What you could do is taper your morning dose first so that you're left with only the night dose.

Outis

Thanks, Outis!

A question: why do people usually taper their morning dose first?

Trying to make it through the day (in stead of night) is a far heavier task w/o benzo?

is there a logic behind this? perhaps troubles sleeping??

Thank you

Evey

Hi Outis Hope you do not mind me asking but had you struggled with depression earlier I never felt it was a problem for me but it seems to be creeping in more and more Of course it is not like it is a separate condition or something, one can easily become depressed from all the symptoms one accrues during withdrawal

You are still early in post withdrawal so lets hope

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lilgma  :)

Outis helped me also cross-over and planned a schedule for me. I'm down to 3.5mg of V now after 22 years on Xanax. Just as a bit of encouragement, I have found that the lower I have gone, the better I have felt. Doesn't it feel so much better just succeeding at crossing over  :)

Best of luck, and take good care

Harmonee

Hi Harmonee

Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry for the very late reply.

Yes, it feels wonderful just crossing over. I was terrified to even try it, but I feel so much better than I did on ativan and lunesta. Tolerance wd was a killer. My tapers are not without symptoms, but most of the time they’re tolerable. I’m down to 12 mg. So happy to hear you say it gets better the lower you go.

22 years? Wow. I am so happy the crossover has worked out for you. You’ve got to feel on top of the world! I have hope for the first time in over 3 years.

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Happy New Year!  Lg

WOW..THAT IS A CRAZY SUOER FAST TALER YOUR DR PUT YOU ON..I GOT ANXIOUS JUST READING IT...HOW ARE YOU DOING WITH it!?

Congrats on your taper schedule!

glad to see you are doing so well on it. Since our schedules look alike, But you are way further diwn the path, it is very encouraging.

cross over to V I did in 1 or 2 weeks. doctors orders, I feared everything but went well.

Am now on step 10mg V a day in 2 doses.

Was wondering at which point you are to switch to just ONE daily dose.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Evey Hammond

Godhelpme

I had extreme fatigue after the crossover too. But it subsided for the most part. I get it after now after my extreme anxiety days let up. Some depression, but really felt sooo much better getting off the lunesta and Ativan. Didn’t really have any issues with the first few stages of my Valium taper. Now, I’m getting the morning cortisol anxiety and flu symptoms. They let up in a couple weeks, just in time to taper again.

As far as tapering to one daily dose, I’m not quite following that schedule. I took a couple mg off my nighttime dose. Of course, I’m not sleeping as well as I was, but I felt like I needed the morning dose to help with the cortisol crush. I’m going to eliminate my evening dose in a couple weeks. Then I’ll alternate chipping away at my morning and nighttime dose.

Sorry  you’re getting the depression. It’s a tough process. I try to distract as much as possible. I’ve even been able to laugh some since the crossover. I want to rush it, but I know better as I was in protracted wd from lexapro. That was cut by 50% in the hospital and left me in hell. Still have 4.3 mg to taper, but that will be way down the road and I’ll do it very slow.

Good luck to you. Lg

Hi Harmonee

Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry for the very late reply.

Yes, it feels wonderful just crossing over. I was terrified to even try it, but I feel so much better than I did on ativan and lunesta. Tolerance wd was a killer. My tapers are not without symptoms, but most of the time they’re tolerable. I’m down to 12 mg. So happy to hear you say it gets better the lower you go.

22 years? Wow. I am so happy the crossover has worked out for you. You’ve got to feel on top of the world! I have hope for the first time in over 3 years.

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Happy New Year!  Lg

Hi Lg

HNY to you too  :) By all accounts, it feels like it's going to be a great year for us both! Hopefully I'll be off benzos forever in a month or so, and you don't have far to go either  :thumbsup:

This time last year I thought I would be on Xanax for the rest of my life, I thought there was no alternative. It is very difficult to be prescribed X in Australia now. Very few doctors will prescribe any benzos, which is a good thing provided you're on the other side of the prescription pad  ??? If prescribed they are only prescribed in lots of 10. That change prompted me to do a Google search (every doctor I had approached to come off these tablets said it was impossible). So as luck would have it i found Dr Ashton's manual, then BB. It feels another lifetime ago now  :laugh:

All the best of luck and here's to 2019  ;)

Harmonee

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you too!

I hope you feel as good as you sound, cuz you sound fantastic. Congratulations I’ve run into a little snag with virus’s And now pneumonia. Little disheartening, but still hopeful and wanting to be off the Valium by the end of the year. I’ve had to slow my taper way back. I held a bit longer at the holidays, and now being sick.....

But I can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel. 💕