AD Genetic Testing

[...]

I am not planning to take an antidepressant again, but in case I do decide to do so, and to be on the safe side (if there is any such thing with psych drugs), I have an appointment with a psychiatrist to take a genetic test which can identify the drugs, by name (Prozac, Lexapro, Elavil, etc.) that are most likely to be compatible for me.  All that is involved is a cheek swab, which is mailed to a lab.  This drug list includes a number of SSRI's, and some benzos (which I am not interested in).  This technology could save patients a lot of time and suffering. The company is called genesight, and there may be other similar companies.

I would like to know what you find out from this test, as in which ADs you would be compatible with and which not. I thought about doing this same test. Are you still feeling depression at this point?

What's the science behind this test? What kind of studies were done to prove the test is legitimate?

I did a similar (maybe even the same) test and it showed that I can take regular SSRI's (like Zoloft or Lexapro) and those were THE WORST for me.

What's the science behind this test? What kind of studies were done to prove the test is legitimate?

Yes, that's what I would like to know. 

I did a similar (maybe even the same) test and it showed that I can take regular SSRI's (like Zoloft or Lexapro) and those were THE WORST for me.

Sorry that it didn't work well for you, glad you told me that. I have taken both Zoloft and Lexapro, in fact they're the only SSRI's I've had.  The company I'm going to use, GeneSight, has a website with more info about it's tests.  Medicare pays for the one I'm going to have.  I am interested in seeing what the results are.  I have been med free for over 9 months, and hope to stay that way if possible. .

I would like to know what you find out from this test, as in which ADs you would be compatible with and which not. I thought about doing this same test. Are you still feeling depression at this point?

I am scheduled to have the test done in 8 days, and it will be at least a couple of weeks until the results will be available.  Yes, I have very bad depression, among a number of other symptoms. 

[/img]

I had this done and the results were BS. I've had bad reactions to many of the ADs it said I should be fine taking. Just a warning: it's big pharma science, not legit science. They do studies looking for a particular answer, not the truth.

I had this done and the results were BS. I've had bad reactions to many of the ADs it said I should be fine taking. Just a warning: it's big pharma science, not legit science. They do studies looking for a particular answer, not the truth.

I am very sorry that this happened to you.  Was the test from GeneSight?

My results came from a study out of the center for addiction and mental health in Toronto. You could try and find out who is behind the company or who originated the testing, if it's possible, but likely it is a simply a vehicle to help get people hooked on ADs ( all of which cause physical dependence). Now that you've had a bad withdrawal from a psych med, you are very vulnerable to another, since each withdrawal increases the probability of medical complications from the next withdrawal. If you feel you need something, you might try 5-htp or tryptophan, which has a similar effect to ADs, increasing serotonin levels globally. The effect of these supplements is milder, with a shorter half-life, so if something goes wrong, it shouldn't be as catastrophic. But I would recommend leaving your nervous system alone until healed if possible. Have you tried any sort of supplement or med yet in benzo withdrawal? If so, did you have an adverse or unusual reaction?

My results came from a study out of the center for addiction and mental health in Toronto. You could try and find out who is behind the company or who originated the testing, if it's possible, but likely it is a simply a vehicle to help get people hooked on ADs ( all of which cause physical dependence). Now that you've had a bad withdrawal from a psych med, you are very vulnerable to another, since each withdrawal increases the probability of medical complications from the next withdrawal. If you feel you need something, you might try 5-htp or tryptophan, which has a similar effect to ADs, increasing serotonin levels globally. The effect of these supplements is milder, with a shorter half-life, so if something goes wrong, it shouldn't be as catastrophic. But I would recommend leaving your nervous system alone until healed if possible. Have you tried any sort of supplement or med yet in benzo withdrawal? If so, did you have an adverse or unusual reaction?

I have not taken any mind drugs or OTC supplements for mood in 9 months.

I took Lexapro for a few weeks last winter, 2017/2018, towards the end of my last stint of Benzos (Konopin), and tapered off for a few weeks after gong CT form the K.  In hindsight I should have tapered the benzos, but thought I hadn't taken enough to warrant it, which was wrong.

There was another incident, summer of 2016, took some Xanax 10 times or so after not taking it for 7 years, kindled, stopped rapidly and became depressed, and tried Zoloft again about a month after stopping the Xanax - had a horrible reaction and quit in three days. 

I'm no kid,and think it's probably too late in life for me to take any more AD's or SSRI's, not to mention benzos.  I am getting hit really hard with depression, I just want to see what the gene tests report.  I think that Buspar is included, which I have considered but probably won't take.

I'm no kid, and think it's probably too late in life for me to take any more AD's or SSRI's, not to mention benzos.  I am getting hit really hard with depression, I just want to see what the gene tests report.

Hi Zeph, I'm no kid either, I'm 47, I believe that the older we get, ADs are less effective.  When I was younger in my late 20's, my doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg daily (worked well for 3 years, I had no issue with it), but then he switched me to Paxil 10mg daily (also worked well for 4 years, I had no issues with it).  Finally he put me on Lexapro 10mg daily, it worked fine as well.  But after a year, I decided to get off and take a break from ADs.  10 years had passed without ADs and I decided to get back on Lexapro amidst my unbearable benzo withdrawal to relieve anxiety and panic.  It didn't work.  Has to do with age, yes in my book.  The older we get, yes the depression will rear its ugly head.  But ADs are not the long-term answer at any age.  Today I feel happier than ever without ADs, and I manage just fine by eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising intensely, despite physical pain.  Intense daily exercise for 30 minutes Monday through Friday overcomes any need for ADs for me.  The rewards at the end of the day in terms of feeling well are immeasurable and so worth it, no AD chemical pill needed for me.   

I'm no kid, and think it's probably too late in life for me to take any more AD's or SSRI's, not to mention benzos.  I am getting hit really hard with depression, I just want to see what the gene tests report.

Hi Zeph, I'm no kid either, I'm 47, I believe that the older we get, ADs are less effective.  When I was younger in my late 20's, my doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg daily (worked well for 3 years, I had no issue with it), but then he switched me to Paxil 10mg daily (also worked well for 4 years, I had no issues with it).  Finally he put me on Lexapro 10mg daily, it worked fine as well.  But after a year, I decided to get off and take a break from ADs.  10 years had passed without ADs and I decided to get back on Lexapro amidst my unbearable benzo withdrawal to relieve anxiety and panic.  It didn't work.  Has to do with age, yes in my book.  The older we get, yes the depression will rear its ugly head.  But ADs are not the long-term answer at any age.  Today I feel happier than ever without ADs, and I manage just fine by eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising intensely, despite physical pain.  Intense daily exercise for 30 minutes Monday through Friday overcomes any need for ADs for me.  The rewards at the end of the day in terms of feeling well are immeasurable and so worth it, no AD chemical pill needed for me. 

Hi Ginger, you're a kid to me, LOL - I was in HS when we sent a man to the moon! 

I'd love to do that kind of exercise, I think that you're on the right track. 

I think I'll take the genetics test out of curiosity - but, not any more drugs.  Or, I'll cancel it.  Either way, I don't have another withdrawal left in me, no matter how tough it is to get through this hell. 

Thanks for the great advice and support.

• 2 weeks later...
I took the GeneSight test, but won't have the lab results for a few weeks.  The psychiatrist that administered it explained that it can determine how fast, or slowly, the liver can process drugs, which reduces the chances of taking drugs with side-effects and dose-related problems.  He's found it to be very effective for helping some of his patients. It can't predict whether an AD will be effective in helping anybody, but it can save a lot of time and suffering as far as finding the right one(s).  I am still very much hoping to get through this without taking AD's or other medications. 

• 4 weeks later...

I received the results back, from the genetic test for drugs.  For antidepressants, 22 were listed.  Eight of the A/D's were classified as "Use As Directed", six were "Moderate Gene-Drug Interaction" and eight were "Significant Gene-Drug Interaction".  I am not considering taking any SSRI or other AD at this point, but Wellbrutin and Pristiq were two of those in Use as Directed.  Zoloft, which I've taken, was in the Moderate category, and Lexapro, which I took briefly, was in the Significant Gene-Drug interaction category.  This is probably why they did not work well for me. 

I didn't do well for the opiods, either, but I knew that already. 

Xanax and Klonapin were listed as Use as Directed, meaning they should work as intended, which they did when I was on them, at least in the beginning.

Forgot to mention, the test showed that am am "heterozygous for the C677T MTHFR gene.  This genotype is associated with reduced folic acid metabolism, moderately decreased serum folate levels, and moderately increased homosysteine levels." 

I believe that many of us here at BB have this.  It's apparently common, affecting up to 50% of the population. 

[2a...]

Forgot to mention, the test showed that am am "heterozygous for the C677T MTHFR gene.  This genotype is associated with reduced folic acid metabolism, moderately decreased serum folate levels, and moderately increased homosysteine levels." 

I believe that many of us here at BB have this.  It's apparently common, affecting up to 50% of the population.

:thumbsup: agree and I also had the test same results and  was told  I would do better on benzodiazapines 

and now in horrible withdrawal  >:( >:( 

Many other things affect our genetics also.

http://reset.me/story/epigenetics-how-you-can-change-your-genes-and-change-your-life/

Only 5% of disease-related gene mutations are fully deterministic,

while 95% can be influenced by diet,

behavior, and other environmental conditions.

Current models of well-being largely ignore genes,

yet studies have shown that a program of positive lifestyle changes alter 4,000 to 5,000 different gene activities.”

Tanzi and Chopra go on to say: 

“You are not simply the sum total of the genes you were born with.

You are the user and controller of your genes, the author of your biological story.

Of course it is necessary to find someone with expertise in this field too re the results,

Sadly I was checked  :'(

and it was found I did better on benzos than antidepressants back when I was tested.

• 1 month later...

I had genesight done.

It told me Effexor (which I was on) was the worst for me but pristiq was the best and only ssri I could tolerate.

I had to go off pristiq after 2 months due to side effects.

I'm starting to think Effexor was one of the best ssri I had been on

Currently on cymbalta but it does quite cut it

I also had the mtfhr gene

Sorry that it didn't work well for you, glad you told me that. I have taken both Zoloft and Lexapro, in fact they're the only SSRI's I've had.  The company I'm going to use, GeneSight, has a website with more info about it's tests.  Medicare pays for the one I'm going to have.  I am interested in seeing what the results are.  I have been med free for over 9 months, and hope to stay that way if possible. .

I am scheduled to have the test done in 8 days, and it will be at least a couple of weeks until the results will be available.  Yes, I have very bad depression, among a number of other symptoms. 

[/img]

What test will medicare cover?  I

ve aked doctors and they don't know of anything.  Do you have a code or something-- then I could specifically ask for this or they'd know how to bill.

Thx.