Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Diagnostic thinking of Dutch GPs, different from GPs in the USA ?

[li...]

https://www.henw.org/artikelen/hoe-verloopt-het-diagnostisch-denken-van-de-ervaren-huisarts

´

Diagnostics lies at the heart of general practice. A diagnosis is especially necessary to make a statement about prognosis and treatment. Anamnesis and physical examination are the most important building blocks in that diagnostic process. 1 GPs link more than 200 frequently occurring symptoms to one or more of the 400 diagnoses that occur annually at least once. 2 Evidence must be translated to the situation of the individual patient. ´ That seems so primitive.

Did I forget to mention they think of benzodiazepine users as 'satisfied users', 'it's an addiction', 'it's mental/psychiatric'.

And per the formal rules of the system, one has to see one of these first. For serious illnesses you can get referred. So what, what I've been going through is 'small stuff' ?

I think I'm repeating myself. Someone described K as a 'poor sedative'. Indeed. Awful idiots. Here, learn to talk loud and have a big mouth, no respect for doctors if you want to live ...

The saga continues, at least for one post ...

Obviously, there is the position of power Dutch GPs. Possibly the most strict gatekeeping system in the world.  And the mentality (see other thread). You can´t just go to a different GP if you like, and there is that paternalistic attitude. Underneath or not. The power differential and system of ´rationing´ can make all the difference in the world.