water solubility lorazepam

[jo...]

I am reading everywhere in this forum that benzo's are badly water soluble and need to be dissolved in vodka first.

But at https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00186 I read that the water solubility of lorazepam (Merck index) is 80 mg/l which means that a 1 mg tablet would need only 15 ml of water to dissolve.

So what I could do is taking a jar, put my 1mg tablet into it, add 100ml of water, close the jar and shake it for some time to make my liquid solution.

Am I right?

I am reading everywhere in this forum that benzo's are badly water soluble and need to be dissolved in vodka first.

But at https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00186 I read that the water solubility of lorazepam (Merck index) is 80 mg/l which means that a 1 mg tablet would need only 15 ml of water to dissolve.

So what I could do is taking a jar, put my 1mg tablet into it, add 100ml of water, close the jar and shake it for some time to make my liquid solution.

Am I right?

Not sure about that tbh but most benzos are soluble in alcohol and not particularly soluble in water or have a very limited solubility in water.

Hopefully someone who's tried this with lorazepam will give you some advice.

Good luck

Staz

Hi john17 :smitten:

Here is a comparison between using pure water, ethanol (alcohol) and Propylene Glycol to dissolve Lorazepam:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928098717300490

uqT2qXr.png

Water: 0.08 mg/ml (same as 80mg/l)

Ethanol: 14 mg/ml

PG: 16 mg/ml

Using Ethanol to dissolve Lorazepam is 175 times more efficient than using water.

Using Propylene Glycol to dissolve Lorazepam is 200 times more efficient than using water.

I read that the water solubility of lorazepam (Merck index) is 80 mg/l which means that a 1 mg tablet would need only 15 ml of water to dissolve.

You will actually need less. 12.5 ml (1/(80/1000)) of water would suffice.

As Lorazepam is poorly dissolvable in water, drug will NOT dissolve instantaneously in it. To make your water-based solution I guess you must dedicate a certain amount of time each day to well shake the jar and find a way to ensure that all the ingredients are well dissolved before use. With Ethanol or PG 5 -10 minutes would suffice.

Thank you for the additional information Jim.

I think I would let disintegrate the tablet for half an hour and then shake it for 15 or 30 seconds.

At the moment I am still dry tapering with the help of a precision scale, a glass nail file and a sharp knife, taking reduction steps of 0.05 mg.

Thank you for the additional information Jim.

I think I would let disintegrate the tablet for half an hour and then shake it for 15 or 30 seconds.

At the moment I am still dry tapering with the help of a precision scale, a glass nail file and a sharp knife, taking reduction steps of 0.05 mg.

I'd still use a solvent other than water tbh for the reason Jim states. Water seems a bit unpredictable especially when you are coming down in very small increments.

Good luck with whatever way you choose.

Staz

"Pure lorazepam is an almost white powder that is nearly insoluble in water and oil. In medicinal form, it is mainly available as tablets and a solution for injection,..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam

I would strongly suggest you start with a proven  solvent, like alcohol or propylene glycol, then add water to dilute the solution.

Builder,

How much agitation is necessary for a good solution to form?  I have been letting the .5 tablet dissolve in 1.5ml of 80 proof, then agitating for about 20 seconds a few times over the course of 15-20 minutes before adding to water than shaking vigorously for about 30 seconds....does that sound thorough enough?

Builder,

How much agitation is necessary for a good solution to form?  I have been letting the .5 tablet dissolve in 1.5ml of 80 proof, then agitating for about 20 seconds a few times over the course of 15-20 minutes before adding to water than shaking vigorously for about 30 seconds....does that sound thorough enough?

Actually, very little agitation is required (but it never does any harm).  Your procedure is more than adequate. 

Remember that only a tiny amount of the tablet is actually lorazepam, most of it is inactive ingredients, some of which will be insoluble.  Don't worry about the residual particulate, it doesn't have any effect.

Builder,

Was the tablet already in the jar when you added the vodka or in something else?

And how did you do the agitating? With a spoon?

It is not quite clear to me what the exact procedure should be in this case.

Builder,

Was the tablet already in the jar when you added the vodka or in something else?

1) Combine the tablet with the solvent, then 2) dilute with water.  2mls solvent for each mg of benzo.  Add 8mls water for a .1mg/ml solution, or 98mls water for a .01mg/ml solution.

Those are ratios.  You can (should) make enough solution for 10-14 days doses.

Builder,

1) Combine the tablet with the solvent, then 2) dilute with water.  2mls solvent for each mg of benzo.  Add 8mls water for a .1mg/ml solution, or 98mls water for a .01mg/ml solution.

Those are ratios.  You can (should) make enough solution for 10-14 days doses.

Thank you builder. I knew this already. But I need an exact description for the case HorizonZD describes.

For example: you need a jar, a lid, a 50 ml syringe, 80 proof vodka and .....

Put your tablet into ..., do this ..., wait for ...., then do this....

I hope someone can help me.

For the mixing process I use a nalgene glass bottle to house the solution, a 3 mL syringe and absolute 80 proof vodka.  I use a 3 ml syringe to pull 1.5 mL of 80 proof vodka from the vodka bottle, placing it into the nalgene bottle.  I then drop the benzo tablet into the bottle with it held at an angle so that the solution pools in the corner, as 1.5ml does not cover the entire bottom of the bottle.  I want to keep the components together at this point so that as much benzo as possible goes into solution.  I gently agitate the bottle held at an angle trying not to spread the solution around the bottom.  I generally let it sit for a few minutes, laying the bottle at an angle, then repeat the agitation process a couple more times.  Once that is done I dilute it out with water (measuring with a 100 mL graduated cylinder) shaking vigorously for about 30 seconds after the water is added.  As Builder suggested, you probably don't need to agitate it as much as I do.

For example: you need a jar, a lid, a 50 ml syringe, 80 proof vodka and .....

Put your tablet into ..., do this ..., wait for ...., then do this....

I hope someone can help me.

Y'all really make this more complicated than it really is!  ;) ;)

Pour the vodka into the jar, wait until the tablet deconstructs, breaks down, and add the water.  Quick swish or stir.  Done!  Store at room temp with the cover on the jar.

You will need 1)  glass jar, 1ml syringe, 10ml syringe.  A 50-60 ml syringe and or a 100ml graduated cylinder is helpful but not required.

For the mixing process I use a nalgene glass bottle to house the solution, a 3 mL syringe and absolute 80 proof vodka.  I use a 3 ml syringe to pull 1.5 mL of 80 proof vodka from the vodka bottle, placing it into the nalgene bottle.  I then drop the benzo tablet into the bottle with it held at an angle so that the solution pools in the corner, as 1.5ml does not cover the entire bottom of the bottle.  I want to keep the components together at this point so that as much benzo as possible goes into solution.  I gently agitate the bottle held at an angle trying not to spread the solution around the bottom.  I generally let it sit for a few minutes, laying the bottle at an angle, then repeat the agitation process a couple more times.  Once that is done I dilute it out with water (measuring with a 100 mL graduated cylinder) shaking vigorously for about 30 seconds after the water is added.  As Builder suggested, you probably don't need to agitate it as much as I do.

Thank you for the details, HorizonZD.

I think your method is very reliable because of 3 reasons.

According to my information, as given earlier, 10 ml of pure water would be enough to dissolve the benzo.

Probably the water has to be at room temperature for this, so it would be better not to use water which is too cold.

Next, alcohol is an even better solving agent.

And third, even if the benzo was not in solution completely, thoroughly shaking  for a while would bring  it in a sort of suspension for some time, and when you do this short enough before pulling anything out, you can be sure that everything is fine. (in my opinion)

Y'all really make this more complicated than it really is!  ;) ;)

Pour the vodka into the jar, wait until the tablet deconstructs, breaks down, and add the water.  Quick swish or stir.  Done!  Store at room temp with the cover on the jar.

You will need 1)  glass jar, 1ml syringe, 10ml syringe.  A 50-60 ml syringe and or a 100ml graduated cylinder is helpful but not required.

Thank you Builder.

But personally, in order to be sure, I would shake it thoroughly for a while.