Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic (Cipro etc) Toxicity and Neuropsych Damage

[An...]

Greetings All,

Excellent article on Fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, etc) causing muscle, ligament and tendon damage; symptoms that look like chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia; and causes "neuropsychiatric damage" like "memory loss, panic attacks and depression".  In July the FDA just issued another (4th) Black Box warning.  And this article explains how Cipro / fluroquinalones are NOT like other antibiotics (good to know for semihypochondriacscaredycatworrywarts like me lol) :

"....blocking enzymes that normally untangle DNA during cell replication...this allowed the antibiotic to penetrate the tissues throughout the body including central nervous system...."

When Antibiotics Turn Toxic

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

Also I did not know that our troops in the Persian Gulf were ALL given Cipro in case of anthrax exposure, which may explain "Gulf War Syndrome"?

I wonder how many of us were prescribed Cipro / or etc before getting anxiety and the other neuro symptoms for which we were then prescribed benzos?  I think I may be one, long ago, in the early 90s I recall thinking 'why do I have these weird anxieties I never ever had before?'  I recall taking Cipro, but not when, have no record and would not have at that time questioned an antibiotic as culprit.

xoxo 

I became bed ridden soon after being prescribed CIPRO. I went on vacation with my disabled toddler by myself right before then. I was tired, but I was functional. After the CIPRO I was never the same again. I was hospitalized a month after, my "panic attacks" became non stop, I started having MS and ME symptoms. I had horrific candida in esophagus (something that only happens to chemo and AIDS patients). Treating it with diflucan (that also has fluoride) made things even worse. Then the Remeron CT happened and then I started to recover a little bit, but was still disfunctional, so I decided to taper off of Klonopin. And then I was getting better for several months, until I started throwing up multiple times a day every day for months and then I became more and more disabled. I now am on home care. People come and help me walk with a walker. I am 35. I am bed ridden and my quality of life is that of a dying 95 year old.

My descent into this madness began after two separate courses of cipro, one prescribed by a physician, the other by an oral surgeon, neither of them necessary, but only precautionary - just to be on the safe side. Incredible - like nuking New York just in case there might be a terrorist who managed to sneak into the city, somewhere. Lord what tools these medics be!

That was in 2008, my annus horribilis, the beginning of all my problems with anxiety and depression and prozac and clonazepam and all the withdrawal symptoms from those. I've come a long way since then - until, just last year, another doctor insisted that I use cipro eyedrops for some sort of cellulitis I somehow got (he certainly didn't know how I got it, or even what it was, exactly, so.... NUKE IT! NUKE IT WITH CIPRO!!! All I had to do was put one drop in one eye two times a day. That couldn't possibly cause you any problems, now could it?  he quacked. Well, after only four drops of that stuff, the backs of both of my legs began aching, and so I called him and told him that's it, I'm not taking any more of this stuff, do you want to prescribe a different kind of eyedrop instead? To which he replied: Oh, no. The (Augmentin) pills are enough. The (cipro) eyedrops were just to be safe.

This is what we're up against. I only hope I do recover from this, eventually. But it won't happen quickly. It's too late for that.

This is very interesting and goes to show why fluoroqunolones are not to be used with benzo sufferers: http://benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/

That was an extremely interesting article .

I didn't realize coffee was a no-no with fluoroquinolones. I wonder if doctors are even aware of this? They so easily prescribe these drugs, unaware of what they are doing to benzo patients or even patients with sensitive nervous systems.  >:(

Thank you for the article. It's written by THE Brad Verret. I won't say more, just know if you go investigate, you might be triggered.

• 1 year later...

Additional information per Medscape (medical professionals CEU site).

FDA CAUTIONS ON MEDS :

Eight fluoroquinolones made the list this quarter with potential signs of risk for mitral and aortic regurgitation.

The FDA has issued several prior safety communications about fluoroquinolone use, including in December 2018 (aortic aneurysm), July 2018 (significant decreases in blood sugar and certain mental health side effects), July 2016 (disabling adverse effects of the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system), May 2016 (restrict use for certain uncomplicated infections), August 2013 (peripheral neuropathy), and July 2008 (tendinitis and tendon rupture).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924040

Why is it that doctors STILL persist on prescribing this? I've been asked by my PCP and also by my urologist if I wanted cipro - the first antibiotic that comes out of their mouths. I don't get it. They ought to know - by now, for heaven's sake - the damage that can result.  :tickedoff: