high b12

[go...]

How high?  Too high?

Odd being Vegan and not taking B12

Usually they’ll do more tests if it was at toxic levels...

B12 is usually a meat vitamin ... but maybe fortified in some cereals

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
My B12 is high too - out of the range high but not by much. I think it's high because I'm not absorbing it and I'm not eliminating it. Kidney issues maybe?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That’s a methylation problem, you have plenty of serum  b12 but it’s having a problem converting/methylating to actually get into your cells.  Find a functional Dr to help you decide what to do

That’s a methylation problem, you have plenty of serum  b12 but it’s having a problem converting/methylating to actually get into your cells.  Find a functional Dr to help you decide what to do

This. I think he is right

• 2 weeks later...

The lab standards for B12 are very low. Many current books on B12 deficiency say that B12 levels should be much higher than lab standards. There have been documented cases of people measuring "normal" on a lab test, but suffering all kinds of B12 deficiency symptoms. The lab standards seem to have been developed to say that normal is anything that isn't pernicious anemia.

If you're having problems with absorption, then your B12 levels would typically be low. That is, it's not ultimately getting into your blood and then your cells. In other words, B12 goes straight out through your digestion system.

Also high serum levels in your blood could be from taking supplements. That doesn't mean you have high levels in your cells. There is another test which is sometimes more definitive than the standard B12 serum test: Methylmalonic Acid test (MMA). High levels in this test indicate low levels of B12.

A good book on B12 is by Sally Pacholok - "Could it be B12?"

Disclaimer: not giving medical advice here, but I was sure I had B12 deficiency before Benzo issues. I was vegan, over 50, and a competitive cyclist - all things that put you at high risk for deficiency. I did a lot of research and asked my doctor. I asked him to to do the MMA test (he had to look it up, as he had never heard of it). My tests came back normal, but I had started taking high doses of B12 when I first suspected I was deficient. By the time I was tested, it's likely I had corrected my condition (if it existed). It's interesting that many of the B12 symptoms mimic Benzo symptoms. They both profoundly affect your nervous system (and other systems as well: gut, brain fog, anxiety etc).

• 1 month later...
Reply to T1D      what if we take a b12 vitamin that is already methylated.  they have those you know?  methocobalimine or something like that. then, it would get into the blood not just serum, correct?

Some people in the hypothyroid community have problems processing b12 and are recommended to take a small dose lithium with aids in b12 being absorbed by the body

Just need to add I am referring to the OTC lithium orotate - dosage only needs to be about 5mg

Reply to T1D      what if we take a b12 vitamin that is already methylated.  they have those you know?  methocobalimine or something like that. then, it would get into the blood not just serum, correct?

It’s a bit more complicated than that for some, but that’s the general idea. In other words, yes, but I wouldn’t go blasting away with methylb12 yet. Seek out a functional Dr that works with this stuff and is familiar with methylation issues. 👍