Clonazepan Suspension/solution plastic bottles

[69...]

Hi every body!  :smitten:

I don't want to make a big deal out of this article and I don't know if this issue was already exposed in this forum but for those that use compound Suspension with Ora plus/Sweet the use of plastic bottles may be in question.  Although the article says that the suspension was ok during and after two months it also says that it was kept at a temperature of 4 degrees centigrade. The media they use for the solution is not exactly Ora Plus/Sweet but i found a common component between them. The big question is that they kept it at 4 degrees C. What happens at higher temperatures? In case of the solution, plastic bottles actually affect the drug concentration as you'll read.  In my case I can't take the drug unless I do it thru a compound pharmacy and they use plastic bottles... 

Thanks in advance to those that use this method and can give an input about this issue. 

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Stability-of-Clonazepam-Suspension-in-HSC-Vehicle.-Roy-Besner/1b387ed31f5ea8360110a5ef43174c35880bc66d

1)  There are literally thousand of different plastics.  You cannot generalize the performance of a specific plastic to other plastics.

2)  There was been a fair amount of research that shows and interaction between IM/IV benzo solutions, and polyvinyl chloride.  (PVC is widely used for IV tubing, but is not a common material for containers.)

3)  The article does NOT describe the solvent or ingredients in the solution.  But the findings are that  the suspension was unaffected, but the (unspecified) solution lost potency.  It would certainly  appear that the variable was not the benzo or the container, but the specific solution.

4)  Rx  liquid diazepam, Rx liquid lorazepam, liquid ativan, OraPlus, and OraSweet all come from the mfgr is a plastic (HDPE) container.

5) ...and if you're really concerned about benzos and "plastic", just store your liquid benzo in glass.  ::)

1) They did it with this particular kind of plastic. There must be a reason.

2) Thanks for the info.

3) Agree with the solution(not enough info). Suspension: why they kept it at 4 C ? makes me think. Is actually my only concern.

4) Industry likes to cut costs. Safety of water plastic bottles are in question this days!

5) In progress...  :P

Thanks Builder!!!  :-X

I don't understand how they make the "clonazepam solution." It is not clear from the abstract. They make the suspension in simple syrup and methylcellulose, and then make the solution also in the same vehicle. Why is one a suspension and one a solution?

Simple syrup is 850 g sugar dissolved in enough water to make 1 L of solution. This study added methylcellulose to make the suspension vehicle, but it doesn't say how much.

Ora Plus and Ora Sweet have different ingredients.

But it appears suspension was OK after 60 days stored in the refrigerator.

If you get a bottle from the pharmacy, it will have what kind of plastic it is on the bottom in code, in the US at least. The recycling code, numbers from 1 to 6 (or 7?) indicate what kind of plastic it is.

I had to edit and reread my post so many times for it to (hopefully!) make sense. This brain fog kills me!

Hi micedana :smitten:

For some reasons I always prefer glass recipients :D when it comes to store chemical products that need to be ingested. While trying to understand more about plastic toxins, I stumble over this piece of information. I let you decide what to do with it.

"#2 – HDPE (high-density polyethylene)

HDPE is used in butter tubs, milk jugs, juice, household cleaner and shampoo bottles, as well as cereal box liners and grocery bags. It is often considered a low-toxin plastic, but like almost all plastics, it has been found to release estrogenic chemicals.

In one study, 95 percent of all plastic products tested were positive for estrogenic activity. This means they can disrupt your hormones and even alter the development of your cells, which puts infants and children at even greater risk. In this particular study, even HDPE products that were free of bisphenol-A (BPA) still tested positive for other estrogenic chemicals. Use with caution."

Original article at: https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/avoiding-toxins-in-plastic#ixzz5SHqSQW00

Hi Jim!  :smitten:

Yes, I have the concept too that glass it's better. I'm in the process of buying some bottles. It is difficult thou. They sell them in large qty's. I found a place you can buy them individually. Also they have a special no drip cap for oral syringes.

What it took me to investigate on this issue was the fact that I've been tapering liquid for two months, pills in the mix at first, and it has been a roller coaster. I switched to all liquid a month ago- was NOT easy- I tapered 0.375 mg of K and I'm now at 0.200 mg after two months. I used the brown plastic bottles they gave and had them at room temperature. May be was a little aggressive reducing but I don't know how and where to adjust or change to lower the sxs a little bit. The only thing that change was switching to a new batch or may be I'm tapering too fast? Is it the liquid compound (Ora sweet)? Is it that I'm in the final stages? Is it the plastic bottles ( The pharmacy told me they guarantee effectiveness for two months but you can take it for longer if you want  :idiot: 

I haven't been on this drugs for that long. I have the feeling I'm healing as i go but is the contrast between that feeling and the sxs that discourage me. May be i have the wrong concept that the taper should be free of symptoms...  :sick:

Thanks for the patience for reading this!  :thumbsup: