From Ativan to valium and hard to sleep

[el...]

:'(I recently updosed 20 mg valium to 30mg and I can hardly sleep for 4to 5 hours . Throughout the day I feel dizzy fatigue and can't function can't think clearly can't speak clearly..On may I was on high dose Ativan 5 mg but I managed to lower the dose. It's been a month on valium  but sleep is getting from bad to worse . Should I go back to Ativan ?It's more hypnotic . Any advice would be appreciated.

Perhaps you made the switch too fast.

You could try taking 20mg Valium with 1mg Ativan instead.

Once you stabilize you have 2 options:

1. Convert the remaining Ativan to Valium at a rate of about 0.5mg to 5mg per week.

2. Reduce the remaining Ativan at a rate of about 0.25mg every 2 weeks.

I am having the same problem on valium. I can not sleep. Doing my crossover from k to v now and on step 2 on the Ashton cross. Taking all V for night time dose. The more v I have in me the harder sleep has become. It seems to slow the body down but stimulate the mind. Are things getting better for you?

Unfortunately no.. I had this difficulty only with Ativan substitution for valium . Now I have to take 1 mg Ativan and 20 mg Valium . Even if I take 30 mg valium I would feel dizzy , fatigue sedation but no sleep. I think that this 1 mg of Ativan that makes me sleep will be the last thing to taper. Why don't you taper your Klonopin directly without valium substitution?  It's a longer acting benzo compared to Xanax or Ativan .

elecktra nat I don't think I have seen a doctor suggest a crossover from Xanax to Valium and Lorazepam Is it too late to consider trying Klonopin instead?

Iwas going to take this post down because I certainly defer to Outis, but I just don't remember ever seeing this approach If Valium is just failing you maybe consider getting off of it

I don't understand your point of view..I express my opinion and Yes  a doctor suggested me that Ativan is stronger and therefore more hypnotic benzo than valium. And Yes he was reluctant to prescribe me valium. I am aware  of Ashton manual and I tried many times to follow it . I'll give it a last try though. !As for Klonopin I don't want to put another benzo in the list. . Thank you for your remark.

Maybe I am not understanding your signature but it looks like you have been at 20mg Valium for 3 years?. Can I ask what your doctor wanted to do originally?

Maybe I am not understanding your signature but it looks like you have been at 20mg Valium for 3 years?. Can I ask what your doctor wanted to do originally?

I changed doctor trying to find someone to help me with isnomnia. So the new doc prescribed me lorazepam 5mg. Gladly I found out in time that this was a huge dose and tried to taper succesfully to 2.5 mg and then tried to follow the Ashton manual. to my surprise I found it difficult to crossover. Never happened before when I was on XANAX for example. I quit xanax because in long term worsened my anxiety and my sleep. I switched to valium and found it more relaxing. I could sleep even in daytime when I had slepless night due to its longer action. unfortunately after 3 years I hit tolerance withdrawal so I went to a doc who put me on Ativan.  I believe my story got much more detailed now.

• 4 weeks later...
Never go back, always go forward.  Drink more water. Give Valium a chance, it will help you sleep till it gets low.  Take Magnesium called "CALM" before bed, it will also help relax you along with vitamin K2 and 10 mgs of zinc.  Go on the Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting.  IT heals the body while you are weaning off this stuff. 

Never go back, always go forward.  Drink more water. Give Valium a chance, it will help you sleep till it gets low.  Take Magnesium called "CALM" before bed, it will also help relax you along with vitamin K2 and 10 mgs of zinc.  Go on the Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting.  IT heals the body while you are weaning off this stuff.

thank you for your reply . I use magnesium L-threonate