When anxiety decreases, depression comes to the fore

[Ma...]

It's really weird. When I don't get good sleep, all I can think about is my insomnia and being exhausted. When I do get good sleep, my depression comes back. It's like the other symptoms cancel out the depression and make you stop thinking about it, but when you don't have those other symptoms, the depression returns.

It's really weird. When I don't get good sleep, all I can think about is my insomnia and being exhausted. When I do get good sleep, my depression comes back. It's like the other symptoms cancel out the depression and make you stop thinking about it, but when you don't have those other symptoms, the depression returns.

Precisely

Oh yes, comes right in front/center where it cannot be avoided. It is so scary but for me, it's what's behind it that strikes terror in my mind, that is guilt. It's always just below the surface yet a force to be reckoned with. It is, for me, almost certainly the root of even the deepest, darkest depression and all the rest of it. I asked my psychiatrist what is it, and why is it not classified as other disorders such as depression, anxiety etc. Was it an emotion or a mind-set or ? She just said it was a symptom. But I could tell that was a last ditch answer type of thing. I tend to think it's something they rather not touch because it's so embedded in just about every culture on the planet, and defer to the fields of religion or philosophy etc. - which helps even less than no answer at all!

• 3 months later...

Oh yes, comes right in front/center where it cannot be avoided. It is so scary but for me, it's what's behind it that strikes terror in my mind, that is guilt. It's always just below the surface yet a force to be reckoned with. It is, for me, almost certainly the root of even the deepest, darkest depression and all the rest of it. I asked my psychiatrist what is it, and why is it not classified as other disorders such as depression, anxiety etc. Was it an emotion or a mind-set or ? She just said it was a symptom. But I could tell that was a last ditch answer type of thing. I tend to think it's something they rather not touch because it's so embedded in just about every culture on the planet, and defer to the fields of religion or philosophy etc. - which helps even less than no answer at all!

yes yes very strange the duality of the anxiety and depression. ive noticed that too. So eeiry to see others describing it too

This is my pattern. I go from anxiety to depression to foggiest. And the guilt is always there. My guilt is from what I can no longer do for my family, for how long it is lasting, and for my husband shouldering so much. I was in tolerance for years and during that time these feelings were episodic, becoming more frequent and of longer duration each year. I have been totally dysfunctional due to my mental state since I started to taper in April 2018. It did not help to go too fast. Now I have been holding over three months. My minor physical symptoms are gone, but the mental agony has not let up. I never go out, unless forced. I do not even care to get dressed. Life has been upended. Esperanza