Which Is The Most Depressing Benzo

[57...]

I'm finding V pretty hard to deal with from a depression perspective. It just seems to be getting worse. Would it pay me to swap over to another benzo to taper as the depression and S.I. are getting really bad and dominate my mind all my waking hours. I've just started to try and start my V taper with a 1% drop to test the waters. I'm concerned that my depression will get worse which could end badly.

Staz

I have heard this about V, I would think that Klonopin would be the switch you may want to make if it’s possible for you to do so.

I’m really glad I wasn’t switched to Valium for this very reason.

I have heard this about V, I would think that Klonopin would be the switch you may want to make if it’s possible for you to do so.

I’m really glad I wasn’t switched to Valium for this very reason.

I'm not sure I'll get my shrink to agree. He wants me on lithium and to cut my mirtazapine down to 30mg. He seems to think my depression has nothing to do with the V. i have mentioned the subject to him and spent over 2 years on the poly drug bus. Needless to say nothing has touched the depression. I was given V to cover prozac start up and left on it for 6 weeks then c/t'd from 15mg then after 3 weeks had to reinstate at 12mg which was the maximum I was allowed. That worked for about 2 months then the depression set in and has resisted all drug therapies and in my opinion just prolonged my suffering and damged my nervous system.

Yeah, I seem to react badly to valium... and wasted lots of time gradually getting over to it, tapering, as per Ashton.  Was my suggestion to do that, too...

Ativan for me. Pitch black darkness. Valium is depressing, but I had not known the depths of depressive hell before Ativan

I know of someone who switched from Ativan to V and said his depression went completely. I think there's no predicting which way it will go. i'm just concerned about the depression getting too bad as my taper goes on. It's been tough enough as it is.

Yeah, I seem to react badly to valium... and wasted lots of time gradually getting over to it, tapering, as per Ashton.  Was my suggestion to do that, too...

That must be annoying and is how i feel about 2 wasted years trying different A/D meds with nothing working.

I think Ativan can be bad, I actually did use it once. I think it was really, really bad actually. LF may know what he is saying... I think I get it now.

You might ask dm123 (over in Chewing the Fat) about switching to Librium, which is what he did - switched from Valium. He's very knowledgeable about these drugs. 

I wouldn't ever go on K again. It really affects cognition something awful and can cause exercise intolerance as well as a host of other symptoms. Ativan was a beast, and so is K, in my estimation.

Staz very slowly start to cut and the depression will let up as you go down as long as you don’t do it to fast.

Thanks for the encouragement Jen. I hope it does lessen as my mood is very dark and despairing.

Steve.

You might ask dm123 (over in Chewing the Fat) about switching to Librium, which is what he did - switched from Valium. He's very knowledgeable about these drugs. 

I wouldn't ever go on K again. It really affects cognition something awful and can cause exercise intolerance as well as a host of other symptoms. Ativan was a beast, and so is K, in my estimation.

Thanks Terry. I will do that.

Staz

Staz very slowly start to cut and the depression will let up as you go down as long as you don’t do it to fast.

I actually didn't have depression until I got lower in dose. And now it is bad. I am on klonopin. I am so tired of crying .... I think it is mostly just that this whole process is depressing.

I actually didn't have depression until I got lower in dose. And now it is bad. I am on klonopin. I am so tired of crying .... I think it is mostly just that this whole process is depressing.

Sorry to hear that NJ. I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. For some it gets better. Who knows?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
First 0.5mg of V gone and my already bad depression and anxiety even worse despite doing a slow DLMT over 20 days. Think I'm going to ask to be crossed over to Librium.

All of them are dangerous.

I agree.

Some seem to give rise to more acute symptoms than others though. V has a really bad reputation for depression although any chronic benzo use has that potential. Several instances have cropped up lately of BB's switching to Librium and having a far easier taper or reduction in symptoms. Is Librium overlooked and Valium over used? My shrink thinks that it is a valid strategy to switch from V to L to reduce depression. Having said that I know of someone who switched from Ativan to V and his depression vanished and he had a smooth taper.

All of them are dangerous.

I agree.

Some seem to give rise to more acute symptoms than others though. V has a really bad reputation for depression although any chronic benzo use has that potential. Several instances have cropped up lately of BB's switching to Librium and having a far easier taper or reduction in symptoms. Is Librium overlooked and Valium over used? My shrink thinks that it is a valid strategy to switch from V to L to reduce depression. Having said that I know of someone who switched from Ativan to V and his depression vanished and he had a smooth taper.

Interesting.  I've had Klonopin, Diazepam,  and Ativan... and for me ... the Ativan was the worst for depression bar none.  I'm on Valium now, and it's not so good, either, but Ativan was FAR more depressing for me.  I believe that anxiety is what causes some severe forms of depression, and I had the most anxiety on Ativan, and hence, the most depression.

Thanks for sharing that info on Valium to Librium.  Any additional info on the effects and switching would be greatly appreciated.

j