Author Topic: KROCK....The Sucess Story I never wrote......  (Read 14552 times)

[Buddie]

Re: KROCK....The Sucess Story I never wrote......
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 08:03:29 pm »
Dear [...],
Your story paints a realistic picture of the length of time recovery takes. Thank you for returning to write of your success. There are threads of similarities in the success stories that bind us all together...we are not alone!

One piece of your recovery that struck me was your experience of acceptance. You learned to cope and move on with what symptoms arose.  I realize I've been waiting for the magic day when I am fully well. I have not felt WHOLE since this began. I am functional and live a very reduced life but the effort of actively waiting for recovery is exhausting. I understand now that I have to let that anticipation go and simply be with what is. Who knows how long this will take?

Your reminder that this is erratic, unpredictable and extremely difficult helped me shift my thinking. I often entertain the idea I'm not doing enough to recover...but I am. Recovery is simply that long and arduous.

With gratitude,
[...] :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:58 pm »
[...], what kind of kidney problems did you have?

Also, prayer has pulled me through more times than I can count. When family and friends have had it with me, I can at least pray.

I was having kidney failure due to extreme dehydration early in my withdrawal. Scary moment there.  I couldnít eat ...sleep...or drink anything. My body was shutting down. I ended up in the ER so they could pump fluids into my veins. Thatís when I learned no matter what happens going forward....I HAVE to drink fluids while going through this. Your totally fucked without it. You need to try and stay as hydrated as possible while your body is healing.....your brain needs it and so does the rest of your body. Remember....Water is Life.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 09:30:59 pm »
Dear [...],
Your story paints a realistic picture of the length of time recovery takes. Thank you for returning to write of your success. There are threads of similarities in the success stories that bind us all together...we are not alone!

One piece of your recovery that struck me was your experience of acceptance. You learned to cope and move on with what symptoms arose.  I realize I've been waiting for the magic day when I am fully well. I have not felt WHOLE since this began. I am functional and live a very reduced life but the effort of actively waiting for recovery is exhausting. I understand now that I have to let that anticipation go and simply be with what is. Who knows how long this will take?

Your reminder that this is erratic, unpredictable and extremely difficult helped me shift my thinking. I often entertain the idea I'm not doing enough to recover...but I am. Recovery is simply that long and arduous.

With gratitude,

No need to spend wasted energy on fighting symptoms and waiting for that Magic Day to happen. You can sleep easy tonight knowing it will come. Just be easy on yourself and function at whatever capacity your able to at this mowment. Time will pass and you will heal. I promise you that.

If it wasnít true I would tell you otherwise. I would say you might want to get use to the new messed up you. Because your not going to get any better. But thatís not the case with this withdrawal...your on your way to the finish line.

Everyone heals at different rates. The healing is out of your control. Your body knows what to do. So sit back and let it do its job. Its gonna heal wether you like it or not. Itís getting better every day....even if it doesnít seem so. You have a great life ahead of you....you just have to accept the situation your currently in and be patient with the process. Fighting symptoms causes unwanted anxiety.

By the way...There were many times during my withdrawal I thought I was done healing. I would say to myself...this really sucks if I have to live this way. But time passed and I got better and those symptoms faded away.

Time is only the enemy if we make it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:55 pm »
Hello [...] again,
How long did it take for you to fully heal?  Your signature states you were benzo and pheno free in January 2011. I know we are all different and recover differently. From what I gather from this forum the average healing period is 2-3 years. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Take care and God bless!

[...]

Itís sort of hard to say....I didnít just wake up one day and all was gone. I had a lot of lingering symptoms that would come and go for years. Then come back again. Then go again. I learned how to cope with them and go on with my life. So I was living with a protracted withdrawal. Things were just a lot less intense.

Believe it or not .....I was still having symptoms well after 4 years out. Thatís not meant to scare anyone....I was an extreme case in my opinion. I did everything wrong as far as coming off the drugs the way I did. I mean I still have the ringing in my ears 8 years later. So in all reality Iím not fully healed. But if that never goes away Iím good with it. Iím just thankful I can function at 99 percent....the 1 percent missing is the tinnitus.

To tell you the truth......I just had to ďsurrender to the withdrawalĒ. Itís how I coped after awhile. I literally just gave up fighting the symptoms and feeling sorry for myself. It was very counterproductive. I told myself if this is what God has planned for me....so be it. I wasnít very spiritual before withdrawal. But I sure the hell was after. I prayed a lot while I was suffering. I prayed to God to please let me live through this. To please make the suffering go away. I prayed and prayed and prayed. I had to hold onto to hope that the man above would get me through this. I needed my life back so I could be a good dad for my son.

I never have been through anything in my life that inflicted so much pain and suffering for such a long duration. Itís just unreal looking back on it. Iím not tried ying to push religion on anyone here. Everyone copes in different ways. Itís just what I turned to in my darkest hours.

[...], Thank you so much for responding to my post and answering my question regarding your healing time frame. I, too, made so many mistakes on my withdrawal of Ativan. Not knowing about tapering and reinstatement and even though I only took this dangerous drug for only 33 or 34 days, I cold turkeyed and think kindled many times. I am 19 months off now and in protracted withdrawal. I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms especially during the acute stage. Like you, I pray and pray thanking God for healing and helping me get through everyday.

Thank you again for sharing your success story; it gives me hope and others who are still struggling that we will also reclaim our normal life back given the right time for healing!

God bless!
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »
[...], what kind of kidney problems did you have?

Also, prayer has pulled me through more times than I can count. When family and friends have had it with me, I can at least pray.

I was having kidney failure due to extreme dehydration early in my withdrawal. Scary moment there.  I couldnít eat ...sleep...or drink anything. My body was shutting down. I ended up in the ER so they could pump fluids into my veins. Thatís when I learned no matter what happens going forward....I HAVE to drink fluids while going through this. Your totally fucked without it. You need to try and stay as hydrated as possible while your body is healing.....your brain needs it and so does the rest of your body. Remember....Water is Life.

THANK YOU, [...]!!!

I, too, have kidney problems as a result of all this, and I'm also very dehydrated. One of my doctors told me to drink less water because I had low salt. I did that for quite awhile, and I realized how harmful it was. I drink lots of water now and hope that my kidneys are in better shape.

WOW!!! That had to be quite frightening going through that, with all the other symptoms you went through. What an absolute warrior you are!!! A true testament to healing!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:55 pm »
Geez, [...], that's strange advice from the doctor! We need BOTH water and salt.

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »
I know, [...]. He thought that limiting water would help up the salt. My salt intake rose a bit, but the damage from the dehydration was not good!

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:20 pm »
Geez, [...], that's strange advice from the doctor! We need BOTH water and salt.

I agree, that doesn't make any sense at all.  For what it's worth, I put a small pinch of sea salt in my glass of water 1-2x/day. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 05:42:10 pm »
I've had low sodium or chloride a lot in the last few years, and I have to make a point of adding extra salt. I'm certainly not going to limit my water intake! Sodium and chloride are essential electrolytes.

[Buddie]

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 07:42:58 pm »
"No need to spend wasted energy on fighting symptoms and waiting for that Magic Day to happen. You can sleep easy tonight knowing it will come. Just be easy on yourself and function at whatever capacity your able to at this mowment. Time will pass and you will heal. I promise you that."

Thank you [...]. This is a perfect reminder for me. After so long I think we get weary and often believe this is as good as it gets. I'm usually quite positive but struggling with the length of this process. I so appreciate your encouragement.

Thank you for being here everyone...once again I'm counting on the community of courage found here.

Love,