How to know when is really anxiety or withdraw ?

[...]

I have had this going on for almost 2 years now. I had what I would call a "crisis" of anxiety previous to the Lorazepam inception ,before that , yes I was the "worry type" , and perhaps I was somehow anxious ,but no more than the average person , I always remained calm and took decisions with a clear mind. Now after 2 years of use and tolerance and w/d's I am not sure anymore what is what . I know I get "dizzy " when I am outside  , for example,walking or doing other things, but I am not sure anymore is it the inter dosage w/d, my real anxiety, or something else( I take one BP med in the AM Lisinopril 10 mg) ? I have found out that even if I am in my safe environment I get the dizziness just like I get at work. I noticed also that a week previous going into the drug I was getting lightheaded as I was having the anxiety creep on me. I have learned many coping skills during this time on how to deal with it ,so I am relatively good in keeping it at bay . But is confusing now  during the taping stages to say ,well is it me or is the w/d. Very puzzling . Dizziness and being lightheaded have been with me all this time, some days is OK ,some days is bad . As I taper down , is worst in between dosages. Any opinions? Any similar experiences?

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough not to experience anxiety during my taper.....but I have seen a lot of people complain that their anxiety was ramped during withdrawal...and I have seen people who said they have never had anxiety.....have bad anxiety during the taper....the withdrawal certainly can make one anxious..I believe that is completely normal to feel that way...this may come and go as you taper....

TC

Hi Tino

I too was prescribed a benzo for anxiety.  It worked fine for a couple of months then when the anxiety returned it was suggested I should up my dose.  I decided, no way - in fact I just wanted off. 

Now at eight months off the benzo I'm still battling anxiety.  I'm not sure if its general anxiety or benzo withdrawal anxiety or a bit of both.  Either way my psychotherapist says "its anxiety - either way you can control it".  Well easier said than done.  But I'm getting better and a little more relaxed, never completely comfortable but not always in a anxious panic.

I too experience light-headedness quite a bit of the time - it certainly gets worse when I'm out of my comfort zone.  But then sometimes even when I'm home, appearing to be quite relaxed I notice my head is kind of floaty.  In fact I've just returned from a walk into town and was kind of floaty most of the way.  Not nice but I just live with it now.  I know I'm not going to collapse in a heap - I would have done that prior to now if it was going to happen.

I too am the worry type, but with the help of my therapist I'm learning some strategies to help get me back on track.  I guess I'll never ever be totally a "glass is half full type", but I just want to be a little more relaxed about life.

During my taper my eyes were always a big problem - really sensitive to light and movement, so I attribute all those issues to benzo withdrawal.  One weird symptom I had was motion sickness - I used to feel ill when in a car or on anything that rocked or moved - going through a car wash was a nightmare.  For that reason I know that the benzo had a huge effect on my balance, so I put some of the dizzy feelings down to benzo withdrawal. 

Thanks LB ,  your posting was very insightful , I never had anxiety before until I had that first crisis 2 and a half years ago that precipitated all this mess. As I continue to taper I've noticed that is not bad. What it is bad is the light headiness that I still get in the mornings. So , since I am not anxious, at least not that much , I want to believe is related to w/d's. I am hoping that as I get more and more confident and get off this drug ,I will be able to regain a bit more of myself and cope with life in a more relaxed way . I am learning not to worry anymore, or at least not that much  and live for today .Thanks :)

LB, I'm not so sure anxiety can be fixed with thinking when it's origin is the med because I've sure felt like I had anxiety for no reason at all before and so then I think well how do I correct this if there is no logical reason for it to begin with.  Unless it was something hidden.

I agree that benzo withdrawal adds to the anxiety - it must because our bodies feel like they're wired.  Over sensitive to everything around us with out nervous systems on high alert.  Because I had anxiety in the first place I know that some of that has returned, trouble is I will never know whether how much is benzo withdrawal and how much could be returned anxiety.  I just know somehow this anxiety I have now is different - don't ask me to explain it, it just is.  I can't seem to get it through to my dr, but I would like her to do some blood tests.  She seems reluctant - keeps telling me all the feelings I have in my body are anxiety.

I think I'll keep pressing her.  I also have to go see my cardio next week and may see if he can take some tests - just seems like my whole body is completely out of whack at present.

LB, I'm not so sure anxiety can be ficed with thinking when it's origin is the emd because I've sure felt like I had anxiety for no reaosn at all before and so then I think well how do I correct this if there is no logical reason for it to ebgin with.  Unless it was something hidden.

Midnight,

There are many coping strategies to deal with anxiety...many of them do not require the use of any kind of drugs....I think the key is finding what strategies work for the individual.....

If indeed it is medication induced...than I believe the logical response would be to try to find a way to get off the offending medication...:)

TC

Since final dose of the Klonopin, this too is the main issue with me. Am I anxious, or is it withdrawl. I take no meds at all now but still get the lightheadedness and some headaches as well. I get dissy, mostly when I get out of bed or when I lay flat on my back. I do not like the feeling but deal with it daily. You may get some reaction from your morning meds, not sure. Good luck and keep plugging along, you look to be making great progress.

WOW, what a great question.  I am sorry, I don't have an answer, only a question to go with your question:  is it possible to have withdrawal before tapering?  Like maybe my body is freaking out because my meds simply aren't enough/don't work?  Or maybe after YEARS of xanax my body is saying ENOUGH???

WOW, what a great question.  I am sorry, I don't have an answer, only a question to go with your question:  is it possible to have withdrawal before tapering?  Like maybe my body is freaking out because my meds simply aren't enough/don't work?  Or maybe after YEARS of xanax my body is saying ENOUGH???

Yes, your body has developed a tolerance to the drug which means you need more to achieve the same effect.  You're suffering withdrawal symptoms if you don't increase your dose, and judging by the amount you're currently taking, you've pretty much reached the maximum dose most Dr's will prescribe.

Well after never really going over 1 mg of Lorazepam in the last 2 years , and try every possible combination to keep me from inter dosage withdraws, I am pretty much aware of what is the withdraw, because , during this taper , all those symptoms have been elevated to a very higher level. So I am getting an idea , according to what my body is experiencing and comparing  with the past , what is withdraw and where the true anxiety is . This is like multiplying by 5 or 6 whatever anxiety I ever felt . This is much more violent and it sends jolts trough my body . So this is withdraw, when I look back , I think the anxiety back them ,was absolutely less than what is when I withdraw. But now I know what is happening and I just let it happen , I don't go crazy thinking any crazy stuff or try to alleviate it. I just stay doing whatever I am doing and say , well this will eventually pass. And you know , is noticeable how  all these symptoms  attack, but the following time , one or two of them are less severe, just an observation. Thanks for all the replies .

This is a great question, and one that I am asking myself every day.

I am over 6 months off Klonopin and the anxiety has been so bad some days that I feel sick.

I don't know whether it is the original anxiety coming back....that was the reason I was prescribed benzos in the first place,

or the withdrawal.

I don't really have anything new to say about it....looks like everyone has covered most of what I am thinking and feeling...

so dittos and here's to getting through all of this mess!

I look forward to more comments about this question....I am hoping and praying that it is the benzo withdrawal.... I can

wait that out.....but new-found anxiety???......that will be yet another thing to find a cure for!!!!!!!!  YUK!

Tish

Dizziness and feeling light headed is also something I struggle with.  I also take a medication for high blood pressure (labetalol once in the am, once in the pm) so sometimes I don't know where the light headed feeling is coming from.  I am working on trying to make myself believe that it is withdrawal because I am really struggling accepting that there are no real serious medical problems.  My lightheadedness seems to increase when I am in a place where I do not feel safe or comfortable, although I do experience it in my home too.  Riding in the car usually makes it go away, but as soon as the car stops, or I get out, the dizziness comes right back.  I also notice mine alot when I eat.  The symptoms are so weird, I guess it must be withdrawal?? I was prescribed a benzo for anxiety to begin with, but I never had any of this going on constantly with my previous anxiety.

Keph

I also take BP medication ( due to hypertension caused by the anxiety) , I take Lisinopril 10 mg once on the AM and usually is the AM when I feel the worst ( light headed and dizzy) so I am not sure anymore what causes what , at night  everything is good. I do believe that there is an inter relation between the meds and the anxiety , but who knows , when I suffer the w/d s ( in between doses) I am not light headed but rather headachy and "heavy foggy" , so is kind of a mix bag here . Maybe someday I will have my brain back  :idiot:

I found Anxiety from WD intense, long lasting ( 2 to 24 hours) and very tough to manage. Also seemed to be filled with bursts of depression. Regular anxiety for me passes quick... minutes and cured easily with distraction..

All meds suck when it comes down to it, including blood pressure meds.  But ones such as those have to be taken in most cases if they're prescribed.  Disappointing that there's never really a med that is a miracle drug for really any condition at all.

I get dizzy too, but even if I'm on no meds that happens to me.

All meds suck when it comes down to it, including blood pressure meds.  But ones such as those have to be taken in most cases if they're prescribed.  Disappointing that there's never really a med that is a miracle drug for really any condition at all.

I get dizzy too, but even if I'm on no meds that happens to me.

Midnight, I had my cancerous thyroid removed and I take medication everyday.  For me, this medication is a miracle, I need it to live.  There are lifesaving medications, I for one am glad they're available.

Re: How to know when is really anxiety or withdraw ?

If the anxiety is brought on because of the 35 other symptoms you have  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

bumping this thread because this is the foremost question I have and will continue to have as I approach deciding to taper off valium and benzos in general.

So is anxiety symptoms relate to dizziness , as I just have shakes sometimes my heart races just for a few minutes , no dizziness though so is this symptoms of anxiety of my anxiety or benzo anxiety , it comes and goes throughout the day and sometimes I don't get it at all except 1st thing in the morning . Benzo or Mine? I always had the norm anxiety as everyone else do but never had shaking or racing heart unless it was something serious . Benzo or Mine?

• 1 month later...

I am a little late joining this discussion, but now that I am off benzo Klonopin for 13 days, I am getting worried about my anxiety and my

depressing thoughts.  My anxiety is still going strong, as it was through my taper and I don't know if I am feeling w/d or if it is just me being anxious?  I don't know if anyone knows an answer to this, other than just waiting to see what happens.......I was put on K and Prozac 17 years ago due to having a defibrillator implanted in my chest for an irregular and lethal heart arrythmia.  I was still fairly young, had kids to raise and

got so totally anxious over never knowing when this little machine was going to go off and shock me that I was hospitalized for a few days.

That is where I was introduced to Klonopin and Prozac - sorry I ever met them - and at the time, they helped me alot. I got my life back, got a new job and was basically happy).

I never thought of myself as an "anxious" person, my anxieties or fears never kept me from doing anything and so now I am pondering whether what I am feeling is that original anxiety due to a health problem that they put me on the K,  and now think that I am just an "anxious" person.  The psychologist I am seeing said "there's nothing wrong with taking Klonopin for the rest of your life - some people just need it...."  I am so hoping that this anxiety and thoughts about dying that I have are from the w/d and that I will one day be fine again.  I can't believe that I am reading books and looking up anxiety disorders to try to figure out what is wrong with me and becoming so depressed that I will forever be an anxious person.  I can barely stand the thought of this.....and one more "anxiety" event happened to me - in March of this year, I tried to get off Neurontin (which I was on for one year due to back pain) and got pretty bad "anxiety" over that, but perhaps it was withdrawal from the Neurontin - although the doctors say "oh no, there is no w/d from Neurontin) and from there the story goes crazy - more Klonopin, more Prozac, Remeron, Seroquel, Thorazine, Tegretol - my God, how can they do this to a person's brain?  It is appalling.  So here I sit, 13 days benzo free - still on 20 mg of Prozac and

80 mg of Inderal (which I take for my heart arrythmia) with terrible thoughts, crying, and shaking and not feeling like I want to go on like this.

I know - the mantra - "it takes time."  That is so hard..........thanks for listening.....

Hoping,

Klonopin is a powerful drug which rearranges how your brain functions, think about it, what you're been taking and what you've just eliminated from your life has altered your brain.  This isn't something that can be stopped one day and complete healing comes the next.  This drug has been doing the job your brain should have been doing for a long time now, and it cannot be expected to learn to do things overnight.

Your brain is in a learning curve right now, and it's going to make a lot of mistakes.  Some of these mistakes are crazy signals sent to your central nervous system which come out in the form of tremors, pins and needles and countless other symptoms.  Some of the other mistakes that will happen will be inappropriate emotional responses which will feel like depression, blunted emotions, hopelessness and anxiety.  All of these things are your brain trying to recover from the bombardment it's received since this drug was introduced into your body.

There is no way you can make an accurate assessment of who you are until you are completely healed from this experience.  Don't concern yourself with questions of original anxiety, you won't know these answers for many months.  But if you're anything like the hundreds of people I've seen heal, you will be free from this and your previous anxiety when you heal.

Thanks Pam - that's a heavy pill to swallow (no pun intended) that I - me - altered my brain on purpose.  What a terrible thing to do to my body and mind.  Thanks for your explanation and I know you have told me about the drugs making me think horrible things before.  But it's so hard to

remember that when you're in the middle of distorted thoughts - I guess a person just has to write it down "This is the Drugs Making Me Feel like this) and just read it over and over every day.  Maybe then, the brain will accept it........thanks again Pam

Hoping