Author Topic: How to know when is really anxiety or withdraw ?  (Read 3835 times)

[Buddie]

How to know when is really anxiety or withdraw ?
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
I have had this going on for almost 2 years now. I had what I would call a "crisis" of anxiety previous to the Lorazepam inception ,before that , yes I was the "worry type" , and perhaps I was somehow anxious ,but no more than the average person , I always remained calm and took decisions with a clear mind. Now after 2 years of use and tolerance and w/d's I am not sure anymore what is what . I know I get "dizzy " when I am outside  , for example,walking or doing other things, but I am not sure anymore is it the inter dosage w/d, my real anxiety, or something else( I take one BP med in the AM Lisinopril 10 mg) ? I have found out that even if I am in my safe environment I get the dizziness just like I get at work. I noticed also that a week previous going into the drug I was getting lightheaded as I was having the anxiety creep on me. I have learned many coping skills during this time on how to deal with it ,so I am relatively good in keeping it at bay . But is confusing now  during the taping stages to say ,well is it me or is the w/d. Very puzzling . Dizziness and being lightheaded have been with me all this time, some days is OK ,some days is bad . As I taper down , is worst in between dosages. Any opinions? Any similar experiences?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: How to know when is really anxiety or withdraw ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »
Hi,

I have been fortunate enough not to experience anxiety during my taper.....but I have seen a lot of people complain that their anxiety was ramped during withdrawal...and I have seen people who said they have never had anxiety.....have bad anxiety during the taper....the withdrawal certainly can make one anxious..I believe that is completely normal to feel that way...this may come and go as you taper....

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:24:28 am »
Hi [...]
I too was prescribed a benzo for anxiety.  It worked fine for a couple of months then when the anxiety returned it was suggested I should up my dose.  I decided, no way - in fact I just wanted off. 

Now at eight months off the benzo I'm still battling anxiety.  I'm not sure if its general anxiety or benzo withdrawal anxiety or a bit of both.  Either way my psychotherapist says "its anxiety - either way you can control it".  Well easier said than done.  But I'm getting better and a little more relaxed, never completely comfortable but not always in a anxious panic.

I too experience light-headedness quite a bit of the time - it certainly gets worse when I'm out of my comfort zone.  But then sometimes even when I'm home, appearing to be quite relaxed I notice my head is kind of floaty.  In fact I've just returned from a walk into town and was kind of floaty most of the way.  Not nice but I just live with it now.  I know I'm not going to collapse in a heap - I would have done that prior to now if it was going to happen.

I too am the worry type, but with the help of my therapist I'm learning some strategies to help get me back on track.  I guess I'll never ever be totally a "glass is half full type", but I just want to be a little more relaxed about life.

During my taper my eyes were always a big problem - really sensitive to light and movement, so I attribute all those issues to benzo withdrawal.  One weird symptom I had was motion sickness - I used to feel ill when in a car or on anything that rocked or moved - going through a car wash was a nightmare.  For that reason I know that the benzo had a huge effect on my balance, so I put some of the dizzy feelings down to benzo withdrawal. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:27:40 pm »
Thanks [...] ,  your posting was very insightful , I never had anxiety before until I had that first crisis 2 and a half years ago that precipitated all this mess. As I continue to taper I've noticed that is not bad. What it is bad is the light headiness that I still get in the mornings. So , since I am not anxious, at least not that much , I want to believe is related to w/d's. I am [...] that as I get more and more confident and get off this drug ,I will be able to regain a bit more of myself and cope with life in a more relaxed way . I am learning not to worry anymore, or at least not that much  and live for today .Thanks :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:08 am »
[...], I'm not so sure anxiety can be fixed with thinking when it's origin is the med because I've sure felt like I had anxiety for no reason at all before and so then I think well how do I correct this if there is no logical reason for it to begin with.  Unless it was something hidden.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:27:32 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:49 am »
I agree that benzo withdrawal adds to the anxiety - it must because our bodies feel like they're wired.  Over sensitive to everything around us with out nervous systems on high alert.  Because I had anxiety in the first place I know that some of that has returned, trouble is I will never know whether how much is benzo withdrawal and how much could be returned anxiety.  I just know somehow this anxiety I have now is different - don't ask me to explain it, it just is.  I can't seem to get it through to my dr, but I would like her to do some blood tests.  She seems reluctant - keeps telling me all the feelings I have in my body are anxiety.

I think I'll keep pressing her.  I also have to go see my cardio next week and may see if he can take some tests - just seems like my whole body is completely out of whack at present.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:23:39 pm »
[...], I'm not so sure anxiety can be ficed with thinking when it's origin is the emd because I've sure felt like I had anxiety for no reaosn at all before and so then I think well how do I correct this if there is no logical reason for it to ebgin with.  Unless it was something hidden.

[...],

There are many coping strategies to deal with anxiety...many of them do not require the use of any kind of drugs....I think the key is finding what strategies work for the individual.....

If indeed it is medication induced...than I believe the logical response would be to try to find a way to get off the offending medication...:)

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:10:23 pm »
Since final dose of the Klonopin, this too is the main issue with me. Am I anxious, or is it withdrawl. I take no meds at all now but still get the lightheadedness and some headaches as well. I get dissy, mostly when I get out of bed or when I lay flat on my back. I do not like the feeling but deal with it daily. You may get some reaction from your morning meds, not sure. Good luck and keep plugging along, you look to be making great progress.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
WOW, what a great question.  I am sorry, I don't have an answer, only a question to go with your question:  is it possible to have withdrawal before tapering?  Like maybe my body is freaking out because my meds simply aren't enough/don't work?  Or maybe after YEARS of xanax my body is saying ENOUGH???

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:28:25 pm »
WOW, what a great question.  I am sorry, I don't have an answer, only a question to go with your question:  is it possible to have withdrawal before tapering?  Like maybe my body is freaking out because my meds simply aren't enough/don't work?  Or maybe after YEARS of xanax my body is saying ENOUGH???

Yes, your body has developed a tolerance to the drug which means you need more to achieve the same effect.  You're suffering withdrawal symptoms if you don't increase your dose, and judging by the amount you're currently taking, you've pretty much reached the maximum dose most Dr's will prescribe.