Switching from pills to liquid Valium--do I take the same amount?

[co...]

I am down to 6.5 mg of Valium per day.  I am using 2mg pills and the best that I can accurately do is cut them in quarters which gives me .5mg.

My PsyDoc has agreed to switch me to liquid Valium.  With it 1 ML of the liquid equals 1 mg of the pill.  It is better for tapering because I have a a 1 mg syringe that is divided into tenths so I can accurately cut by a tenth of a mg.  This will be very important as I taper to lower doses where .5mg cuts will be too much.

But I am concerned with the changeover and the liquid having the same effect as the 6.5 mg in pills that I am now taking.  When I swallow the pills and quarters of the pills, I know that they travel down to my digestive tract.  If I take 6.5 mg of Valium in the liquid form, I am not sure how far all  of it will go.  I asked my Psydr and he told me it should be okay, but I am still worried.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience? 

Thanks

Hi confuseduser :smitten:

A number of buddies when switched from tablets to liquid, particularly with milk or pharma compound solution, reported a loss in effects. Knowledgeable people estimated the loss to 5-10% but a few others talked about a drop they likened to an abrupt cut. I have tried to report something about that some time ago (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=204001.msg2643631#msg2643631). It is surely not your case as the medication comes already in liquid format and no relevant difference is expected should you want to taper with it.

Having said that, you can certainly try for a few days. First you will find that symptoms if any will change. It is due to the so called bioavailability where drug is differently absorbed when solid or liquid. Hold until your body stabilizes with the today 6.5 mg of liquid Valium per day. Start to taper when stable enough.

Overall: GO SLOW! The general recommendations are to reduce between 5-10% every 10-14 days to minimize withdrawal symptoms. You might perhaps have to further dilute your current medication with water to have a 0.1 mg/ml for higher accuracy in the cut. If you need to know how your schedule might look like, have a look here: http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

Wish you a good start and a smooth journey towards a full recovery,

There is absolutely no medical or pharmacological reason that 1mg from liquid should be any different from 1mg in a tablet.  I would NOT updose to start a liquid taper.  Why handicap yourself.

Just FYI, I learned about liquid tapering on the old Benzo Detox Recovery board.  100% of the folks there were doing liquid tapers, and no one ever post having difficulties switching to liquid.

BTW, if you dilute your liquid 9:1, you have .1mg per ml, and can  easily measure to .01mg.  (You will find trying to measure 1mg undiluted is a little difficult.)

Thanks so much, guys.

I previously tried a partial liquid titration where I took 1 mg of valium, powdered it, and mixed it with 60 ml of water, while I was taking my other 6 mg in pill form.  My goal was to use the portion mixed with liquid to taper by 1 ml per day or so.  I immediately had a reaction as though I made a drastic cut, even though I was taking the same amount of Valium.

So I stayed with the same dose for a week or two.  I managed to cut about 20 ml before I had to stop because the liquid mix was making me nauseated to the point that it was interfering in a huge way with life activities and killing my appetite to the point where I got dehydrated.  I then went back to straight pills, dropping to 6.5 mg of Valium in pill form.

Thanks so much, guys.

I previously tried a partial liquid titration where I took 1 mg of valium, powdered it, and mixed it with 60 ml of water, while I was taking my other 6 mg in pill form.  My goal was to use the portion mixed with liquid to taper by 1 ml per day or so.  I immediately had a reaction as though I made a drastic cut, even though I was taking the same amount of Valium.

Common benzos are NOT water-soluble.  You have no way of even estimating what your dose is mixing a tablet in water.

Thanks.  I was also thinking of using the pills in combination with the liquid Valium--say 5 mg taken in pill form and 1.5mg taken in liquid Valium form.  This would allow me to gradually taper the liquid and when I got down to 5 mg per day total I would switch to 4 mg in pill form and 1 mg in liquid form and then start over again using the liquid to taper.  The advantage of this is that I would not be making a complete switchover to liquid so it might avoid the problems with that. 

I decided against it because the pills and liquid would absorb and get into my system at different rates, and thus cause other problems. 

Thanks again, everyone.

I really appreciate your responses.

I decided against it because the pills and liquid would absorb and get into my system at different rates, and thus cause other problems. 

Absolutely incorrect.

(BTW, I did a pills + liquid combo taper)

You are not that confused user your nick seems to indicate :D. In my opinion your approach reflects thoughtfulness and I'm pretty sure with an appropriate taper pace you will come out healed without major problem. If you read wider and deeper in the BB you will see that you are not the only one who combines tablets with solution for their taper.

Have a good go and heal.

BTW, if you dilute your liquid 9:1, you have .1mg per ml, and can  easily measure to .01mg.  (You will find trying to measure 1mg undiluted is a little difficult.)

Thanks.  I don't understand your sentence above which I quoted.

The liquid Valium that I am getting is a solution that has 1 mg valium per 1 ml of liquid.  I have small syringes that break it down to 1/100 of a ml for micro tapering.  The larger marks in those syringes break it down to tenths of an ML.  Why would I need to dilute the liquid valium?

Builder, did you use liquid valium or a combo of liquid valium and pills to taper?  I could swear I read a post of your that indicated it.

Thanks!

You are not that confused user your nick seems to indicate :D. In my opinion your approach reflects thoughtfulness and I'm pretty sure with an appropriate taper pace you will come out healed without major problem. If you read wider and deeper in the BB you will see that you are not the only one who combines tablets with solution for their taper.

Thanks for the support, Jim Hawk.  I am not nearly as confused now as I was when I started this process, though it is the scariest long term thing that I have encountered in my life--especially reading about the problems that some people have had and those which I have experienced myself which are pale in comparison to some of which I have read about.

Thanks.  I don't understand your sentence above which I quoted.

The liquid Valium that I am getting is a solution that has 1 mg valium per 1 ml of liquid.  I have small syringes that break it down to 1/100 of a ml for micro tapering.  The larger marks in those syringes break it down to tenths of an ML.  Why would I need to dilute the liquid valium?

Builder, did you use liquid valium or a combo of liquid valium and pills to taper?  I could swear I read a post of your that indicated it.

Thanks!

I used exactly the same liquid that your doc has Rxed for you.

Yes, I know that theoretically you should be able to measure down to tenths of a ml.  But you will find that the liquid is viscous, and will readily cling to the surfaces of your syringe, in the tip, and in any other apparatus you use.  A more diluted, less viscous liquid is much easier to handle and deal with.  Also, its simply easier to measure, say, 10ml, tha it is to measure 1ml.  And dilution dramatically reduces measurement error.  If your liquid is 1mg=1ml, then an error of .1ml is an error of .1mg.  But if you dilute to .1mg per ml, then a .1ml error is only .01mg.  The error factor is reduced by 99%

BTW, the instructions on the mfgr's bottle state: "Dilute before using..."

BTW, the instructions on the mfgr's bottle state: "Dilute before using..."

Thanks, Builder, you are right.  It does say dilute before using.  I have not started using it yet and am still on pills.

I have a 500 ml bottle of liquid Valium and have no idea of how to dilute it before using it.  I am really confused and afraid.

If the liquid is viscous, and will readily cling to the surfaces of the syringe, in the tip, and in any other apparatus that I use, how do I draw it out of the bottle to mix with a liquid and know that I am getting the right amount?

Could you explain the steps and mechanics to me?

You also mentioned that I dilute the liquid 9:1.  Does that mean that I dilute 9 ML of water for each 1 ML of liquid valium?

Thanks so much.

Yes, 9ml wate for each 1ml of Rx diazepam.  But there really is nothing complicated about it. 

If you have 1ml of liquid that contains 1mg of diazepam (1mg per ml), and you add 9mls of water, now you have 10mls of liquid that contains 1mg of diazepam (.1mg per ml).

So if you wanted to take a dose of 6.5mgs, you would drink 65mls of your diluted liquid.  Your dose, measured in milliters, will always be 10X the dose measured in milligrams,

To make your diluted supply, use a larger syringe, like 10ml, or even 50ml, and once you have completed transferring the Rx liquid to a mix/store jar, just rinse the syringe thoroughly and use the rinse water as part of the water to dilute.  That way you have not left any of the liquid V in the syringe.

Thanks so much, Builder.  I really appreciate your help.

So the trick is to use a larger syringe.  Don't I run the risk of having some of the liquid Valium stick in the syringe as I draw it out of the container and not get the right amount liquid valium?

Also, is there any reason why I need to use 9 parts of water to one part of liquid Valium?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much, Builder.  I really appreciate your help.

So the trick is to use a larger syringe.  Don't I run the risk of having some of the liquid Valium stick in the syringe as I draw it out of the container and not get the right amount liquid valium?

Also, is there any reason why I need to use 9 parts of water to one part of liquid Valium?

Thanks again!

Once you have completed the transfer, you fully rinse the syringe, and include the rinse water with the dilution.  Then you have transferred 100% of the Rx  liquid you were drawing out into your mix/store container.  None is left clinging to the syringe.

You can use any ratio you choose, but 1) for diazepam, you will never need to any more precision than .1ml (.01mg), and 2) its the most convenient ratio because, as noted in my example, your liquid dose will always be 10X the amount in milligrams...no math, just move the decimal.

At one point in my taper, I was cutting .01mg per day, which meant each day I lowered my dose by .1ml of my dilute liquid.  Easy peasy.

BTW, you are NOT going to make (dilute) a batch for each dose or each day, you will make a batch to last 10-14 days, and then draw out and drink your doses from that supply.  So you really just need to do that procedure one every 10 days-2 weeks.

Thanks, Builder. 

1. If I make a large batch that will last for 10-14 days by mixing 9 parts water to one part liquid valium, how will I know when I draw from it that I am getting the correct mixture each day?

2. At what point in your taper did you go straight to liquid Valium from pills, or did you combine the two?

thanks!

You draw from it when you want to take your dose.  Its just a bottle of medicine.  You just use it like you would any liquid medicine.  And if you want to take multiple doses, you can either 1) draw up the full days dose, then divide that into sub-doses, or 2) you can just draw each dose separately.

You will know you are getting the "correct mixture" because it IS the correct mixture.  When you dilute your Rx liquid with water, it is still a uniformly distributed solution, There will be .1mg in every ml guaranteed! (Your dose consistency with the liquid will be far more precise and consistent than the tablets ever was!)

This is just "a bottle of liquid medicine", not really any different than a cold/flu remedy, pain reliever, liquid antacid, or any other OTC med, or any liquid Rx med.  You just take the appropriate dose at the appropriate time.\

ADDENDUM: I did pills + liquid from 9mg down to 3mg, then I switched to all liquid.

Thanks so much, Builder.  Your responses have been incredibly helpful.

ADDENDUM: I did pills + liquid from 9mg down to 3mg, then I switched to all liquid.

How did you decide how much of the Valium to take in pills and how much to take in liquid form?

Thanks so much, Builder.  Your responses have been incredibly helpful.

How did you decide how much of the Valium to take in pills and how much to take in liquid form?

I just did it based on my supply of pills.  I had 5mg and 2 mg tablets.

Starting at 9mg, I took 5+2 (7mg)  from tablets, and the rest by liquid.

At 7 mg, I took a 5mg tablet and the rest liiquid

At 5mg, I took 2 + 2  (4mg) and the rest liquid

and as I said, when I got down to 3mgs, I just took all liquid.

etc...

It really doesn't matter.  All the matters is the total mgs that your taking, from whatever sources you are using.  Actually, at your dose, if your doc will give you enough liquid, I would take all liquid right from the start.  (Actually, a lot of docs won't even write both tablet and liquid scrips simultaneously because it raises red flags.)

I know you have some anxiety/uncertainty about this (most folks do), but it just isn't a big deal.  As I keep saying, your (dilute) liquid diazepam is just another liquid med.  You use it the same way you would any other liquid med.  And a milligram of diazepam is a milligram of diazepam, whether its in a tablet, or in your syringe.

Make a chart/plan listing planned doses based on your taper plan, and just take those amounts at those times.  Just like any other med.

You are talking about liquid valium by that company Roxanne?

Uh, I am at 3.4 mg valium, cutting 5 mg pills, and it is making me sick.  I dread taking it as almost immdiatly (don'nt even know how that is possible, but in few mins) I get dizzy, trembling sweating, kind of short of breath.

Anyone heard of this?  Can I do quick taper off it?  Thanks.  The feeling so sick from it is a new event; was tapering slowly.

You are talking about liquid valium by that company Roxanne?

Uh, I am at 3.4 mg valium, cutting 5 mg pills, and it is making me sick.  I dread taking it as almost immdiatly (don'nt even know how that is possible, but in few mins) I get dizzy, trembling sweating, kind of short of breath.

Anyone heard of this?  Can I do quick taper off it?  Thanks.  The feeling so sick from it is a new event; was tapering slowly.

1)  There are 2 Roxane liquid V formulations.  Which one are/were you on.  How much did you dilute it?

2)  You don't need to "taper off" the liquid, just switch back to tablets.

I’m glad I found this thread, I’m new here, and I started a thread similar to this one, but no ones responded yet...but this thread answers most of my questions. I’m wanting to switch from Xanax to liquid Valium when I start my taper.

BarbaraAve..are you saying you’re on liquid Valium, or are you tapering from cutting a 5 mg pill?

Builder, you say there are 2 different liquid Valium formulas? Which do you recommend using? My Dr is willing to work with me on this, and you seem well informed...

Sorry to hijack this thread but no ones answering me on mine!

Builder, you say there are 2 different liquid Valium formulas? Which do you recommend using? My Dr is willing to work with me on this, and you seem well informed...

Diazepam Intensol Concentrate is an alcohol based solution 5mg per ml.  Its high concentration makes it inappropriate for liquid tapering (although it is possible)

Diazepam Oral Solution is a PG based liquid, 1mg per ml.  Its lower concentration makes it more suitable for tapering.  And it still should be further diluted to make measuring and dosing small quantities even easier.

Thanks so much, Builder.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your information and advice and your patience.

As background, I am currently on 6.5 mg of Valium a day in pill form which I take once a day. 

I am planning to transition to doing 1 mg of liquid Valium and the rest by pills.  The reason that I am not going to all liquid right away is because the last time I tried to transition to just 1 mg of Valium in crushed form mixed with water while taking the rest of my medication in pills, it had a really bad effect.  I plan to gradually switch to completely using liquid Valium.

Given the viscosity of the liquid Valium, I am trying to figure out all of the steps necessary to mix it with water. 

The following are the steps I would take to mix 1 ml of liquid Valium with water:

I imagine I would have about 4 ml of water in a small jar, then  I would draw 1 ml of water into a syringe and then draw 1 ml of liquid Valium into the same syringe and shoot it into the jar. 

Then I would draw 6 ml of water into the syringe and use it as a rinse to shoot into the jar.  Then I would put a top on the jar and shake it up and drink it.  I would then add some more water to the jar, shake it up, and drink it to get any residual.

Does this sound correct?

If not what am I missing?

Thanks again for you kind help.