Need titration plan for .25 klonopin please...

[ly...]

Hi,

I'm really bad with math so am hoping this can be simple.

I am taking .25 (1/2 of a .5 Klonopin tablet) one time a day at bedtime. That is it.

I appear to be very sensitive, so I'd love to taper fast, but better be moderate. I also have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, migraines, dizziness, etc.

I'm confused about what I need to purchase. Someone on the board made a fabulous suggestion that I could just keep it simple and take the 1/2 pill, crush it in water, and simply remove a tablespoon for each reduction amount. That would be fantastic if I could do it that simply. So would just need to know how long until I go to the next amount (e.g., two tablespoonfuls).

I was just off cold turkey for six days, but yesterday (day six), I went back on after being advised it was dangerous to do this. My symptoms were horrible - pulsating throughout body, extreme dizziness, nausea, basically all the symptoms I have anyway, but about 100000000 times worse.

Thanks for any suggestions. Please let me know if I need to provide more information.

Susan

Yes, you can do a very simple 'titration, just using kitchen items.

Week one: Crush and mix thoroughly, half an 0.5mg pill (0.25mg) in 4 oz of liquid. remove 1 oz  (2 tablespoons) of mixture(0.0625mg) immediately after mixing. Drink the rest.

Do this everyday for one week. This is a daily dose of 0.1875mg

Week two: Do the same mixture as the first week, but this time, remove 2 oz. (4 tablespoons). Drink the rest Do this for one week. This is a daily dose of 0.125mg.

Week three. Same as above but remove 3 oz (6 tbs.) Do this for a week. A dose of 0.0625mg

At this rate, you will be done in three weeks.

If you want to slow down the rate, you can just stretch out each time frame (10 days; two weeks)

If you want to decrease the cuts,  you can remove 1 tablespoon instead of 2 tbs the first week, 2 tbs instead of 4 the second week, 3 tbs instead of 6 the third week, and so on.

Before you start though, I would give yourself at least a week or so, until you feel more stable after reinstating.  

Let us know if that makes sense. Ask any questions!

Hi. Thanks so much. I actually have just started reducing today. I didn't want to wait a whole week, but for two days, I mixed the .5 into a cup of liquid, not half, and split the dose in two, which really helped.

Today, I took out a tablespoon. I will see how that goes and reduce by a tablespoon each time.

This group is fantastic. I was feeling so hopeless. Now, I don't feel alone.

Only concern is that my doctor approves one more prescription and I'm waiting for that. I only have about 12 doses left.

I don't know if this is the whole cause of my dizziness and palpitations, but I want it gone to find out.

Thank you again for your help.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I'm glad to see you've gained some confidence in this process and aren't feeling so alone.  Emotional support is critical, even Professor Ashton speaks of it often.  Your dizziness and palpitations are most likely caused by the drug, these feelings may stay with you even after you've completed your taper, but don't fear, they will go away.

Pam

It's amazing to me as I'm on a medical leave from work for chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and migraines. But over the course of the past two months, I see that my dizziness and palpitation are the worst part. No one can explain this. In fact, I just had inner ear and balance testing done (negative) and am going for autonomic testing. No one thinks klonopin at such a low dose could be causing this.

I'm going to an excellent chronic fatigue center and they can't explain it. It's so bad that I can barely drive, but ebbs and flows. I see it is reduced by splitting the klonopin dose in two, which amazes me.

I'm also working on retraining my breathing through Buteyko technique, which helps too.

So, I am a bit torn in knowing that my dizziness may worsen with withdrawal from klonopin, but need to go through it to get off it. I think it should be different if I taper than when I just went off cold turkey.

I do believe it is possible that my symptoms even when on the .25 dose could be caused by my body craving more and being in a chronic and increasing state of withdrawal. I cannot prove this and the doctors don't believe it, but it may be true. It will be a miracle if it is true, as I am very frightened and disabled by these symptoms. It sucks.

Thanks for the support and hope.

Susan