Does the Depression Actually Go Away?

[bo...]

I have been on this site constantly the past three months, looking for as much support and reassurance as possible. Is there anybody that quit cold turkey where their depression actually went away? What was the timeline like? I have basically no enthusiasm for anything anymore and my mind goes to too many places I don't like. On top of that, I've lost all my old interests and world revolves around this condition. I'm 5.5 months since quitting.

It is mostly constant unless I'm fully occupied with other things, which work tends to make me forget about it. I had that window on Friday night (8/31) and felt nearly 100% better for about two hours. I had a very brief window at the beginning of August. It was on 8/5 and that lasted a couple hours. I feel the absolute worse in the mornings when I get up and then usually when I take showers. Also, when I can't sleep, it can get very, very bad.

How are you doing?

I think it's different for everyone (which is the popular thing to say on this board) but the reality for many is the length of time it takes for recovery. Especially if you are protracted. I would encourage you to stay occupied if it can be managed without extreme stress. Working is good for your self-esteem and of course keeps you in routine. Isolation, boredom, and just generally sitting around your house trying to find things to do will make your depression worse... from my own experience 23 months out.

It is mostly constant unless I'm fully occupied with other things, which work tends to make me forget about it. I had that window on Friday night (8/31) and felt nearly 100% better for about two hours. I had a very brief window at the beginning of August. It was on 8/5 and that lasted a couple hours. I feel the absolute worse in the mornings when I get up and then usually when I take showers. Also, when I can't sleep, it can get very, very bad.

How are you doing?

That sounds almost identical to me. I did have a shift with what I PMed you about.. I know I am not a depressed person so I refuse to give in to it. But the times you say it hits you, it's the same for me. Mornings and showers. What's with that? I hate closing my eyes unless it's at night to sleep. Once I wake up I find it's better to get out of bed before the thoughts start running through my head. .I did a Qeeg today and had to sit in the chair and close my eyes for three minutes. I hated it!

• 2 months later...
I have the same symptoms.  This is my 10th week off diazepam.  I hope it goes away.  Work helps.  I need to start excercising but it is hard to add that to my daily routine.  I was walking 5 miles per day but the weather is getting cold now.

Hi, John. I'm now 8 months off. Still not feeling much better at this point. Still having intrusive thoughts that are pretty bad right when I wake up. Depression doesn't seem to let up except at bedtime and then I notice some weird physical stuff like an inability to get fully physically comfortable.  I haven't noticed much difference even when I walk at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just over 9 months off and yes, the depression lifted a great deal.  I can't say for sure if it's totally gone . . . I still get to a point I just cry because I know I'm not fully healed yet . . . but the horrible debilitating depression has lifted.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe I'm still feeling like this at over nine months. I can barely get out of bed today, and it's Christmas day. I made it up to watch my daughter open her stocking from Santa and now I'm laying in bed again. I thought coming to my parent's for a week would be useful but the past few days have been horrible. Starting to wonder if this is ever going to improve at all. It could have been all the lousy food I've eaten the past couple days. It feels like most of my symptoms have faded and the depression is back at the forefront or else I'm just exchanging symptoms every week or so.

Hello,

Yes, I had a bad depression in the middle of my taper (June, July?)...now it has lifted a little bit. I can't say I'm depressed, it is more accurate to say I am mostly in a bad mood...

I can't believe I'm still feeling like this at over nine months. I can barely get out of bed today, and it's Christmas day. I made it up to watch my daughter open her stocking from Santa and now I'm laying in bed again. I thought coming to my parent's for a week would be useful but the past few days have been horrible. Starting to wonder if this is ever going to improve at all. It could have been all the lousy food I've eaten the past couple days. It feels like most of my symptoms have faded and the depression is back at the forefront or else I'm just exchanging symptoms every week or so.

You and me both boombox I had to excuse myself from the gift unwrapping to lay in my bed and bawl my eyes out because I don’t feel anything but sadness. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. I feel like a crazy person. I’m so close to getting an antidepressant because I can’t take this any longer