Ideas on prozac

[ta...]

I took prozac for 13 years and cold turkey stopped in 2014.

As Prozac made me activated when I started I took bits of diazepam the whole time I was on Prozac.

I cut down very very slowly and was taking just 3mg a week for nearly the last year untill I stopped on 1mg a week in 2015. Iv not taken a benzo since

I got terrible akathesia 3 months after stopping the Prozac. Iv been in hell since. As I had no idea about ssri withdrawal I always assumed my problems were the benzos and whilst I will never know for sure I’m pretty certain it was the Prozac that destroyed my nervous system

4 years in I’m very very depressed, insomniac, muscle and tinnitus issues.

I’m thinking about taking Prozac again and using lorazepam to get on it.

I know this may sound insane but I’m desperately depressed and don’t think I can carry on like this any longer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm really sorry you feel this way. I think the first an foremost responsibility you have when you are severely depressed to stay alive. When you are down you can't see the world for what it really is.

AD's are definalitely overprescribed (especially in the US) but we should not forget that they do serve a purpose. The academic literature is very clear on this. Mild to moderate depression should not

be treated with AD's, since exercising and talking therapy works better. But in cases of severe depression, AD's do simply work. AD's have worked like mad for some people. And even though the side

effects are sometimes not very nice, it beats the hell out of suicide (if you are really really depressed). So if you think about reinstating an AD you have to balance the pro's and con's.

Did prozac help you before with your depression? I know that a prozac/olanzapine combination can really help with acute severe depression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine/fluoxetine

I know my view is a bit of an anomaly on this forum. But I struggled with suicidal depression and AD's literally saved my life.

Hope you feel better soon