Generic Clonazepam

[Be...]

Anyone else having a hard time with the recent shortage of the best generics of Clonazepam?

I have been taking the same generic for many years and am in the middle of a taper. Suddenly my last prescription was some pink pill I had never seen which gave me insomnia. So I switched to a yellow pill from another pharmacy and now I feel I'm going through pretty rough withdrawals and I haven't cut my dosage in 4 weeks. Today was hell.

The only solution I can think of is to somehow get ahold of the brand which I think is made by Roche. Any ideas? I have had two days of misery.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [By...]

• [Ti...]

• [Fr...]

I switched from Teva to a brand called Solco. it has been a rough seven weeks. I have just decided to updose 10-20% and dose 4x a day instead of 3 to try and get stable. I am not able to taper right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Genentech is now the manufacturer of brand name Klonopin. I am going to take that for the duration of my taper to insure I'm getting the same medicine with every prescription.

So out of curiosity, does anyone know if clonazepam in general is going to be discontinued completely?

Sure seems like it from what I’m reading.

And yet when you read the Introductions section, many people join BB everyday to get off of it, and they’ve been taking it for years.

Are these shortages of generic K or total discontinuations?

And if so, why clonazepam? People have problems with all these benzos.

• 2 weeks later...

The pink pill and Teva were the only 2 that were tolerable for me while taking them. I am so glad that nightmare is over of looking for Teva pills because they were the most consistent and gave me less side effects.

It is really sad to read that many people actually started benzos for one thing and it ends up causing them more issues or they magnified their symptoms before starting.:(

Genentech is now the manufacturer of brand name Klonopin. I am going to take that for the duration of my taper to insure I'm getting the same medicine with every prescription.

I changed over to the brand of Klonopin about a year ago because I got tired of the continual generic discontinuations.  It sure makes these a lot more dependable.  You’re doing the right thing! 

• 4 weeks later...
I seemed to get a different generic all the time. Even the colors are different. I went online to look it up and that means they've changed companies they got them from. Some are even weaker than others. There is not just one maker anymore. There is no Klonopin any more, it's all generic. Roche made the original which was trademarked as Klonopin. Klonopin no longer exists. If you'd like to know the pharmaceutical company yours comes from going to drugs.co and look for the dose. You'll see different colors and sizes for the same strength. Your pill will have some numbers or letters so you can find the match. It tells you where it's made. I've researched and Googled Is there Klonopin any more and it's no longer made as such. Some don't even have a score so you can break them in half.

The pink pill is made by Accord. I have seen a few people say they like the Accord or at least prefer it to some other brands, but I had problems with it, including interdose anxiety which caused me to updose by 0.25. Wish I had realized what was causing the problem sooner but of course doctors and pharmacists will tell you they are all the same.

After reading A TON about the different generics online, it seems like most people have problems with the Accord brand, and many complaints have been filed. I recommend either reporting your issue to the FDA or asking your pharmacist to do so. The more these things get reported, the more likely they are to tighten restrictions on generic production values. The fact is that the consumer is NOT properly protected by the limited oversight on medications produced overseas to be sold here in the US.

The pink pill is made by Accord. I have seen a few people say they like the Accord or at least prefer it to some other brands, but I had problems with it, including interdose anxiety which caused me to updose by 0.25. Wish I had realized what was causing the problem sooner but of course doctors and pharmacists will tell you they are all the same.

After reading A TON about the different generics online, it seems like most people have problems with the Accord brand, and many complaints have been filed. I recommend either reporting your issue to the FDA or asking your pharmacist to do so. The more these things get reported, the more likely they are to tighten restrictions on generic production values. The fact is that the consumer is NOT properly protected by the limited oversight on medications produced overseas to be sold here in the US.

Unfortunately, I have no choice where they're made. The pharmacist says they have trouble getting them and each time I get a refill it's either a different color or maker. I always got blue ones in the past but in the last two-three years, I've had green, yellow, or white all from different makers (pharmaceutical companies). I've always gone to CVS. What pharmacy do you use? What also frustrates me is some aren't scored in the middle so It's difficult to cut or break them in half. I'm wondering if they're doing away with them. Many doctors want people off them or won't prescribe them.

Sometimes certain brands are on backorder and are difficult to get, but I suspect this is due to shortages because of company changes and merges, not because the drug is being discontinued by manufacturers. I use Walgreens as a pharmacy and they are willing to look up what is available to order. You can also call around to pharmacies I'm your area and ask what they have in stock and transfer your prescription there when you are ready to fill it. That sounds like a hassle, I know, but well worth it to avoid problems. CVS is notorious for switching brands and being less cooperative with ordering other ones. Talk to your pharmacist and be firm, and if they won't help, switch. I don't know where you live, but there must be a few other pharmacies within reasonable travel distance.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to switch to Walgreens. I like them better as a drug store anyway. I generally get better service there. I had a feeling it could just be CVS. They don't do anything other than giving whatever they can get. I'm sick and tired of getting a different manufacturer and different Clonazepam each time. BTW I've been looking up info about CBD oil for anxiety. I spoke to someone in Starbucks today and she showed me her bottle. She told me where she bought it and how relaxed she felt. She also has anxiety issues. It has no THC which creates the intoxicant effect of marijuana. It won't make you feel high. I'm sure you can find it near you.

I've been thinking about trying it. I live in a place with shops around every corner. The only concern is that it is processed by the same enzyme in your liver that the benzos use, but anecdotally it seems to help a lot of people.

Maybe it's time for us to Google about this and make sure. I think it would matter where it was made and who's the seller. I've never heard that before.

I've been thinking about trying it. I live in a place with shops around every corner. The only concern is that it is processed by the same enzyme in your liver that the benzos use, but anecdotally it seems to help a lot of people.

Yes it made me worse for this reason so be careful.

Sorry, it made you worse. In what way? I've spent time looking it up on different sites and there are some mentions of side effects but very few. When I was younger I had smoked marijuana and hashish and never got sick. I just got tired. The only thing I can do is try it. Everyone reacts differently to this.

The same goes for medications. 

Try it! I seem to be the one where it lessens my benzo so withdrawal side effects intensified. It works off the same livers enzymes that Your benzo does so depending on your genetics it lessens benzo blood levels.

I seemed to get a different generic all the time. Even the colors are different. I went online to look it up and that means they've changed companies they got them from. Some are even weaker than others. There is not just one maker anymore. There is no Klonopin any more, it's all generic. Roche made the original which was trademarked as Klonopin. Klonopin no longer exists. If you'd like to know the pharmaceutical company yours comes from going to drugs.co and look for the dose. You'll see different colors and sizes for the same strength. Your pill will have some numbers or letters so you can find the match. It tells you where it's made. I've researched and Googled Is there Klonopin any more and it's no longer made as such. Some don't even have a score so you can break them in half.

They still make brand klonopin, it’s what I am taking. I just got my new refill a week ago and had no problem getting it. It’s now made by Genentech which is owned by ROCHE, the pills have the k cut out and say roche on them. Where did you hear they stopped making them?

Dub,

Yes clonazepam is still being manufactured here in the US and overseas and being shipped to the US.

But those generic brands keep changing now so people never know what they are getting. It’s a huge mess as far as I’m concerned. I used to be able to rely that I could get the same clonazepam, but that really is NO MORE the case.

And not every one can possible afford the brand K by Genentech either. It all depends on the insurance they have. And let’s not forget that some people don’t have insurance at all.

Benzos may not be expensive, and a lot of doctors will accept cash for a visit, and you can get a prescriptions from them. But paying for brand K by Genentech can cost hundreds of $ for a lot of people.

And for heavens sake, will you please read these responses for once?

I feel like you’re just assuming that everyone taking clonazepam can afford brand K when many cannot.

And yes, it is still available. I just called Genentech myself last week, and they confirmed that, but they also confirmed that it is expensive. And I mean it costs hundreds of dollars if you pay on your own.

Jen,

I get that. Just a lot of people on this thread that seemed to be confused about this constant changing of generic clonazepam.

And confused about getting brand K also. Just thought I would clarify that, and also explain the expense of it.

Also confused about medical marijuana. I didn’t address that at all, but I can just as you have.

Dub,

Yes clonazepam is still being manufactured here in the US and overseas and being shipped to the US.

But those generic brands keep changing now so people never know what they are getting. It’s a huge mess as far as I’m concerned. I used to be able to rely that I could get the same clonazepam, but that really is NO MORE the case.

And not every one can possible afford the brand K by Genentech either. It all depends on the insurance they have. And let’s not forget that some people don’t have insurance at all.

Benzos may not be expensive, and a lot of doctors will accept cash for a visit, and you can get a prescriptions from them. But paying for brand K by Genentech can cost hundreds of $ for a lot of people.

And for heavens sake, will you please read these responses for once?

I feel like you’re just assuming that everyone taking clonazepam can afford brand K when many cannot.

And yes, it is still available. I just called Genentech myself last week, and they confirmed that, but they also confirmed that it is expensive. And I mean it costs hundreds of dollars if you pay on your own.

Read the quote I responded to intend, just saying brand k is still made. Not sure what you are going off about, I never assumed everyone can afford brand k.... stop tryin to attack me.... Tnx