What helps with tapering off phenibut? Substitute that is prescription.

[Ki...]

I'm trying to taper off phenibut, it was given to me by a doctor as a "supplement".  I developed tolerance and don't want to take more, but insomnia is killing me.

I was supposed to see a psychiatrist today, but there was a glitch and my appointment wasn't there! I need sleep. I'm rescheduled to see them Friday.

What's a substitute that is a prescription medication that might work to switch to, that might also be something I can taper off of?

It's scary being on phenibut that no one knows much about, that's not doing anything for me, that I also can't just stop taking.

Looking for something similar enough to ease w/d of phenibut, that is a prescription medication that more is known about, and maybe will be a little better to taper off of or that I could take an ssri while tapering off of.

I've taken Prozac years ago temporarily and it did help the anxiety I had at the time.

I'd like to be able to do that again, but can't just quit phenibut cold and need something more known to substitute.

Thanks for any knowledge or experience anyone has!

I don't have any direct experience, but I see Baclofen mentioned in one article  That may just be as an adjunctive therapy rather than a full substitution Can I ask your dosage?

Some sources say 10 grams Baclofen to 1 gram Phenibut A lot of poor stories here with Baclofen but it could be worse

Thanks Matt,

I've managed to taper down from 528mg phenibut to 440mg.

I'm new and not sure how substitution usually works, do you just substitute one thing for another or taper from one thing while slowly adding the substitute?

The main reason I'm interested in something "prescription" to substitute is because doctors will know how to combine something else with it if needed.

Last week I saw a psychiatrist who said she wanted to give me Lexapro or something to help my anxiety, but wouldn't do it until I was off of the phenibut.. but I was already experiening withdrawal symptoms from phenibut before I started tapering.. due to the tolerance

I'm not sure I'll be able to continue tapering because of the insomnia and anxiety that was already there before I started the phenibut.

So I guess I'm thinking something prescription to substitute for the phenibut will then help me get something to support original anxiety while I then get off the substitute.

I hope that makes sense.

Glad to hear you do not have a really high dose. Xanax, my drug is likely the last choice It's tough because the one's that are the most likely to significantly relieve anxiety are the most problematic to get off of. Short term ,  most of them are safe in theory, but strange things go on here with some folks even on short term use Good Luck Valium would be the safest as far as I know but maybe not a strong anxiety reliever for everyone

One vote here for not adding lexapro to the mix. SSRIs can be very stimulating (especially in the beginning) and not easy for people already experiencing anxiety and insomnia. From what I understand, phenibut is milder than any benzo, so I wouldnt try to substitute with a benzo. Gabapentin may be something to consider, but people have experienced wthdrawal from that also. Are you doing all the non-med things to help with sleep? Exercise, eating well, meditation, consistent bedtime routine? If so, perhaps the best thing to do is accept that the symptoms are temporary and persevere with your phenibut taper.

Good luck,

JKS

• 2 months later...
Whatever you do, DO NOT FIND A DOCTOR THAT WILL PUT YOU ON ANY BENZO to help with withdrawals.  It is just switching from one to another.  My doctor, to my surprise when I wanted to get off of Clonazapam put me on 250mg of Phenibut (in a supplement).  It wasn't until later when I started researching my withdrawals that I learned Phenibut was a drug essentially the same as a benzodiazepine.  Difference is it works on the GABA B receptors versus A receptors.  I decided to taper the Phenibut first so we could we know what will be the benzodiazepine withdrawals later.  I was taking a supplement of GABA during my tapering process, but that was not helping because it does not cross the blood brain barrier like the Phenibut does.  As someone else mentioned, I have read that Baclophen (sp) is sometimes used to help.  I had such terrible and scary withdrawals 4 weeks off of the Clonazepam that I reinstated it at a higher dose to factor in the Phenibut, and then tapered off my Phenibut.  I am still having withdrawals (even though my doctor says I shouldn't and now I will have to taper from even a higher dose than before.  My suggestion is to research into the Baclophen (which will also have withdrawals) but ultimately keep tapering the Phenibut by very very small amounts for two weeks at a time and don't get impatient and cold turkey it.  I emptied my capsules for each amount I cut (about a 1/4) and after that did a lick of powder on my finger.  You will have symptoms like the burning, and irritability and sleep.  I take melatonin to help with sleep and it does calm the body (but I haven't been able to determine if that is a GABA down regulator too).  Or take unisom or benadryl at night to help you sleep.  I know the withdrawals are hard, but you really are on a low enough does that switching to another drug could make things worse in my opinion and might not be much more helpful. Search up Phenibut in here or look up my posts and read the responses.  You will find other peoples answers to my questions regarding Phenibut.  You're not alone as doctors don't know about this as a drug- but don't get started on a BENZO!!!