Stinging eyes

[Ma...]

At times I have had some allergy issues that causes something similar to what I am hashing, but not really at this time of year Also this seems very constant where allergies often come in waves Anybody know how common this is in BW.? Do we know if it allergic or something else?

• 2 months later...
I had this symptom for a few weeks when everything was at its worst, still using the eyedrops but they aren't bothering me as much anymore. I believe it is dryness causing inflammation, though allergic inflammation can feel similar. I would assume it is w/d related but could a side effect, dry mouth and eyes are listed. I use an oil based drop because lipid deficiency is the most common cause of dryness and they help keep your own tears from evaporating. I recommend Systane Balance or Soothe XP. (I have spent 10 years in the eye care field so was prepared for this one.)

• 4 weeks later...
:) Hi Mattnapa,  I've also experienced very dry, itchy, stinging eyes.  Any symptoms which seem worse than normal I attribute to being w/d symptoms, i.e. for me these eye symptoms are worse than my usual allergy eyes (and this would be late in the season).  I've used Visine Tired Eye Dry Eye Relief, but I see someone else has replied mentioning Systane balance or Ssoothe XP and I may be giving one of those a try.  Hope you get relief :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
[4f...]

My most uncomfortable symptom during xanax w/d is dry, stinging eyes! And they also often feel puffy, swollen, even when they don't look swollen. This is rather ironic, in that this eye thing is the first symptom to hit me and can be more severe than my other expected symptoms of anxiety, hypertension, and insomnia when I've forgotten to take my scheduled dose.

And it definitely does feel like my eyes have felt during my worst allergy seasons, but now in the currently very cold weather (half the time below freezing), I have no other allergy symptoms! Right now, my nasal passages stay relatively clear, little mucus, no coughing, no sneezing. But my eyes can still burn like hell! >:(  One big difference is that during an allergy attack, my eyes get watery and itchy as well, but during w/d, they stay dry, and they burn more than itch.

I have found the best relief using a simple sterile saline solution "for sensitive eyes", normally used to store soft contact lenses, with a little eyewash cup I kept from an actual eyewash solution that has recently had benzalkonium chloride added, so I can no longer tolerate it - it now makes the burning WORSE! At first, I was distraught that all the "official" eyewash formulas now had changed from edetate sodium (no problem for me) to benzalkonium chloride or something else that I react badly to. Then I tried this contact lens storage saline solution. Ahh, almost instant relief and it can be used as often as one wants! It's like a wonder remedy!

I've gotten relief from products such as Visine-A ("allergy"), but I also get a fierce rebound from decongestant/antihistamine eye drops like that - the burning is actually worse when it wears off and my eyes get raw and sensitive - sounds like another drug dependency, doesn't it?  :laugh: I get NO relief from any of the eye products for dry eye, including those designated as "eye lubricants", "liquid tears", etc.

Just a form-fitted eye cup full of simple contact lens saline solution.

Hope this helps those suffering a similar issue with your eyes.