I have been having relief from Anxiety by doing this...

[...]

Hi All,

I have found drinking a cup of Decaffeinated Green Tea reduces my anxiety significantly.  It takes an hour or so to fully kick in and lasts about 24 hours.

I think it is the L'Theanine in the tea.

Just sharing.

Bob

Just one cup of green tea?  I thought I read that 100mg theanine equals about 10-15 cups of green tea.  Do you drink it on an empty stomach or does it matter?

Just one cup of green tea?  I thought I read that 100mg theanine equals about 10-15 cups of green tea.  Do you drink it on an empty stomach or does it matter?

Yes just one cup of tea is all it takes.  I tried taking 50 mg of the stuff in the capsule but that seem too powerful to me. I drink the tea on empty or full stomach’s but usually I’ve had something to eat.

I use ordinary tea if a little anxious, then use either one or 2 theanine caps if that doesn't work. Is very subtle though

Green tea has been my go to since I cut out sodas and sugar. Just be sure to get the decaf, I found that out the hard way. It’s great for antioxidants and to help maintain your weight

Hi Bob

What brand of green tea in particular do you take?

I may be trying some shortly.

Thanks

Hi Caltn,

I gt Bigelow decaffeinated green tea.  I think decaffeinated is important.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I have found L theanine to work, although it doesnt eradicate anxiety completely. It is more like this sense of calm that washes over you.

I have to take large amounts to feel it though, somewhere in the region of 800-1000mg per day, so that would be a ridiculous amount of green tea.

I have read however that a small amount of caffeine makes Theanine more effective, so I'll usually drink a cup of green tea when I take it

I have found L theanine to work, although it doesnt eradicate anxiety completely. It is more like this sense of calm that washes over you.

I have to take large amounts to feel it though, somewhere in the region of 800-1000mg per day, so that would be a ridiculous amount of green tea.

I have read however that a small amount of caffeine makes Theanine more effective, so I'll usually drink a cup of green tea when I take it

Your comment about adding some caffeine is interesting to me. I have purposely used the decaffeinated tea because I’m afraid caffeine will be a problem for me. I will give caffeine another chance but very little because I know it messes with my brain and my sleep.

• 2 months later...

So L-theanine really works for you??? I am taking one capsule before I go to sleep and I can say that it works good. My only problem is that I'm going out of it but need to buy the bottle in another town because here in capital can't find it in any pharmacy... So glad that I have found this :)

Also this works for me: banana, vitamin B (multivitamines), ashwagandha with yoghurt, reading books.

So L-theanine really works for you??? I am taking one capsule before I go to sleep and I can say that it works good. My only problem is that I'm going out of it but need to buy the bottle in another town because here in capital can't find it in any pharmacy... So glad that I have found this :)

Also this works for me: banana, vitamin B (multivitamines), ashwagandha with yoghurt, reading books.

Yes it does help as well as taking zinc at night.

Look at my signature block for a complete detail of my nighttime cocktails.

Bob,

What time of day do you take L-Theanine?  And how much at each of those times?

Thanks

Bob,

Thanks

About 30 minutes before bed I take 50mg L’theanine  along with the zinc and B-complex and magnesium Glycinate.

I’ll repeat all this again at 2 AM when I wake up .

With all that my anxiety is in check in I sleep well.

Bob,

Thanks

About 30 minutes before bed I take 50mg L’theanine  along with the zinc and B-complex and magnesium Glycinate.

So do you only have night time anxiety? My biggest issue is morning anxiety.  Trying to figure out how to tamp that down with l’theanine.

Bob,

Thanks

So do you only have night time anxiety? My biggest issue is morning anxiety.  Trying to figure out how to tamp that down with l’theanine.

I do have anxiety in the daytime too but I deal with it by going to the gym and yoga and breathing techniques. 

But when trying to sleep, it is hard to address anxiety with such activities.  So I save my L'Theanine (and other off-the-shelf helps) for bedtime.  I found, as long as I got enough sleep, I can battle my daytime issues.

Don't get me wrong, most of my benzo withdrawal problems are nearly gone.  This anxiety is what I probably always have had - it is the reason I was put on Benzo to begin with.  But now that I am off Benzo, I am addressing my anxiety with natural things.

I recently bought it from amazon. It has excellent reviews. It's day 2 since I've been taking it. 1 capsule in the morning and 1 at night. I slept OK last night. Not sure if it was the l-theanine or tired from the long day.. We'll see in a week or so..

Weren’t you guys scare to try the supplements for fear of having a set back ? How did you approach it...try tiny bits first ?

I tried to take the minimum possible and still get an affective benefit. That’s 50 mg of L’Theanine for me.  Plus the other supplements you can see my signature. Most of those are for sleep.

Hmm. Maybe I'll try some tea, Bob. I cannot drink caffeine, though. Too sensitive for it. When do you drink the green tea? Is it in the morning? Do you think the other supplements you take contribute to a lessening of anxiety or do you think it's mainly the green tea?

Thank you for the info!!!

Hmm. Maybe I'll try some tea, Bob. I cannot drink caffeine, though. Too sensitive for it. When do you drink the green tea? Is it in the morning? Do you think the other supplements you take contribute to a lessening of anxiety or do you think it's mainly the green tea?

Thank you for the info!!!

I only drink decaffeinated green tea or decaffeinated black tea. Lately instead of drinking the tea I just take L’Theanine  capsule which gives the same effect to reduce anxiety.

I usually do this at night because I’m trying to get rid of anxiety induced insomnia.  But I have used the decaffeinated teas and L’Theanine capsules wihen my work anxiety is bad.

All the other supplements in my signature are for improving sleep.

Thank you, Bob!!

I see from your signature you had a mini-stroke - was this while you were on benzos?

I also had a mini-stroke while on benzos.

I wonder how common that is?