When to Start an AD?

[bo...]

Hi, everyone. It's been 4 months and 13 days since I quit a low dose of Klonopin cold turkey, about 4 1/2 months. I talked to my friend last night, who just finished his degree as a doctor. I told him I was still suffering from depression and that I did not feel like I had depression this bad before taking the Klonopin. He agrees that the pill probably screwed up my brain chemistry, but he also thinks that I am genetically predisposed to anxiety/ depression. He recommended trying an SSRI until I start feeling better.

I'm having a really hard time wanting to start any medications because of what the last one did to me, and I'm worried that another one would further screw up my brain chemistry. I know a lot of people say no to starting ADs and others say yes. At what point should I start one, if at all? I'm having a really hard time distinguishing withdrawal depression from being depressed about my life or my circumstances. The worst part of this is a I start work again at the end of August, and I thought I would be feeling better with the whole summer to heal.

• 2 weeks later...
Boombox, What did you decide? It is such a tough call and I know you will make the right decision.  Keep us updated on your progress!

Leslie,

I did not start an AD. I met with a psychiatric RN on Monday, and while she recommended starting me on Prozac, I told her I was really uncomfortable with starting any new meds after this benzo experience. She understood. I have blood work being processed now that will check on my vitamin D and testosterone, amongst other things. I am meeting with the RN again on September 20th. I don't want to start any new meds for a long time. If, after another three or four months, I still feel depressed, I would likely try them.

In some good news, my depression seems to be only lasting a few hours in the morning now and gets better after I eat breakfast. Instead, I just feel really lightheaded and dizzy all day now and mentally out of it, but anything is better than depression. I'm still working out and eating very well, and I'm hoping all this goes away soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi Boombox,

First of all I'm really sorry about your depression. The choice whether you should take an AD is pretty difficult. While I understand the negative vibe on this forum regarding psych meds, I think the reactions regarding AD's are a bit too much. While AD's are definalitely overprescribed they do work for some people. The academic literature clearly suggests that AD's don't work for people with mild to moderate depression but do work for people with severe depression. Professor Ashton also discusses the use of AD's in benzo withdrawal when you are severely depressed.

I think that if you are so severly depressed that you can't see the world clearly, you will always have the responsibility to trie every possible option available to say alive. Taking an AD beats the hell out of suicide. A prozac/olanzapine combo saved my life for sure when I was in severe withdrawal. There are definalitely donwsides, there are side effects and withdrawal from SSRI's is no joke. But it did help me to pick up the peaces and resume my life.

So this post was nearly two months ago. Still feeling the same level of depression that I was in August. I am absolutely afraid that taking an AD will make me feel worse but I am also afraid that the depression and the symptoms associated with it aren't going away for a very long time. 6.5 months of the Klonopin today. I can keep trying to wait it out. Many people have said that the depression symptoms just disappear, but it can be very hard to believe when this has been going on for so long. I really wish I the intrusive thoughts would disappear and my emotions would come back.

I can keep trying to wait it out. Many people have said that the depression symptoms just disappear, but it can be very hard to believe when this has been going on for so long.

I would wait it out a little longer, if possible.  I went on an AD in month 3 of my benzo withdrawal, but it didn't work for me, in fact, it made me feel a lot worse.  I gave it a shot for 6 weeks and then discontinued it since it wasn't helping me.  But then the depression started to lift on its own for me around 9-10 month mark, so I didn't have to consider AD anymore.  Emotions and sense of normalcy started to return as well, it's a gradual process, but it does come.  Hope it gets better for you soon.     

I would try waiting it out as long as possible, if you feel like you may act on your dark thoughts thats when I would start thinking about looking into treatments, albeit be very careful and cautious.

Man, this process just sucks. I had a terrible day today. Thought I was headed toward another panic attack that felt like psychosis, but I narrowly avoided it by taking a break from what I was doing. Not much relief tonight. It feels like my body is numb all over and I have DR/DP like no other, as my vision is all blurry and my head is all foggy. I doubt taking more drugs would help me at this point. I will just keep waiting it out.

I think that's the smartest decision at this point BBB. If I recall, you had a bad reaction to melatonin when you took it, and ADs are much, much stronger.

Remember before you take something that although one med or supplement supposedly affects one system, each system interacts with all the others, as Dr. David Healy explains on his site RXisk. He is an an expert in psychopharmacology and an excellent resource, so I have been listening to his advice. Have you tried CBT therapy or anything?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Yeah, I've been going therapy. It's tough because my therapist and I are having a hard time on what to focus on. We spend a lot of time talking about the depression caused by withdrawal and some time on the anxiety and possibly depression I was feeling before. There really isn't a solution to the depression I'm feeling because of the medication but time, as both my therapist and I understand it. It helps to talk about it with somebody but there isn't much relief from it once leaving a session.

I've tried many different therapies, and I've found the one that works best is simply relaxation exercises. The primary symptom for almost everyone is anxiety and tension. It is pretty exhausting and difficult to control, because it's usually much more powerful than any anxiety they've previously felt. By relaxing the mind and body, you may start to feel some relief. Even if you can just relax one, that can help ease tension in the other. Have you tried this yet? It takes fairly persistent practice.

Also, anxiety and depression are very closely related. I think the comorbidity rate (when they occur together in one person) is around 50%. Depression is often helped by social connectedness. You could see a friend and talk or volunteer at something like a food cupboard. Usually these are run by churches and the people are fairly kind. I know: easier said than done, but you really have to force yourself to do stuff when you are depressed, otherwise it's tough to do anything.

I'm in quite a bind. I feel a ton of anxiety because of my job as a high school teacher. Today, I am dealing with rib and chest pain. I know they are symptoms of anxiety. I wonder sometimes if quitting this job would help me out. On the other hand, I am dealing with depression that has been caused by quitting the benzo and therefore, I don't want to sit at home all day stewing about my current condition.

I know the majority of my symptoms are from quitting the drug including the severe depression with dark thoughts, the insomnia, the DR/DP, and the numb patches of skin yet I had work-related anxiety before all this. I should have tried an AD right off the bat and not the benzo. Now I'm in a position where I'm scared to try anything. I am wondering if it's possible for all these benzo related symptoms to fade while working this high stress job. I have no idea. Baylissa said it's possible.

I'm in quite a bind. I feel a ton of anxiety because of my job as a high school teacher. Today, I am dealing with rib and chest pain. I know they are symptoms of anxiety. I wonder sometimes if quitting this job would help me out. On the other hand, I am dealing with depression that has been caused by quitting the benzo and therefore, I don't want to sit at home all day stewing about my current condition.

I know the majority of my symptoms are from quitting the drug including the severe depression with dark thoughts, the insomnia, the DR/DP, and the numb patches of skin yet I had work-related anxiety before all this. I should have tried an AD right off the bat and not the benzo. Now I'm in a position where I'm scared to try anything. I am wondering if it's possible for all these benzo related symptoms to fade while working this high stress job. I have no idea. Baylissa said it's possible.

Have you considered low dose lithium aspartate 5mg? It's otc and severe depression has been a problem for me on a steady dose of V. Depsite my DLMT which I've started I thought I'd try it. I've been taking it for 4 days and today for some reason felt the best I have for many months. I also take Seriphos, Phosphorylated Serine which I'm finding is helping the cortisol problems so maybe the combination of the two is working or today was a complete fluke.

Staz

Staz, as I said before, I am scared to try anything right now. If anything, I could give a low dose of 5-HTP a try. I have 50 MG tablets at home. I took a few sporadically and they didn't seem to harm me any. But I have never taken it consistently. I am just wondering if the only true solution is time and maybe therapy to help the anxiety I had before.

Staz, as I said before, I am scared to try anything right now. If anything, I could give a low dose of 5-HTP a try. I have 50 MG tablets at home. I took a few sporadically and they didn't seem to harm me any. But I have never taken it consistently. I am just wondering if the only true solution is time and maybe therapy to help the anxiety I had before.

Only you can be the judge of that and I understand your feelings on taking anything even otc meds. 5HTP revs some up and hits the serotonin system I think. Google lithium ortorate or aspartate and you will find it's neuro protective and helps regenerate brain tissue. It's been given to Alzheimer's patients and has improved their cognition and meory dramatically according to peer review studies that I've found. It has a calming effect on the brain as well I'm finding and today after 4 days on it I had a really good day. Could be a fluke but after 2 1/2 years of depression on V and a week into DMLT it came out of the blue. I've changed nothing else diet wise or in my routine so I'm going to stick with it for the duration of my taper. The dose of lithium is very small 5mg as opposed to the psychiatric drug lithium carbonate which requires large doses and regular blood tests, screws your kidneys up and thyroid in the process.

I'll post how tomorrow goes in this thread or pm me. Hopefully I'll be as good as today but who knows?

Staz

Man, this process just sucks. I had a terrible day today. Thought I was headed toward another panic attack that felt like psychosis, but I narrowly avoided it by taking a break from what I was doing. Not much relief tonight. It feels like my body is numb all over and I have DR/DP like no other, as my vision is all blurry and my head is all foggy. I doubt taking more drugs would help me at this point. I will just keep waiting it out.

PM'd you some info.

Staz,

I also am interested.  I'm afraid to change anything, too, and am hypothyroid... so maybe a bad idea?  But yes have read about it.

BTW, you mention 5htp and seratonin... how does one know what is doing what?  Am definitely depressed...  and other times definitely very anxious.

Thx.  hope it works for you tomorrow as well and is not a fluke.

Staz,

I also am interested.  I'm afraid to change anything, too, and am hypothyroid... so maybe a bad idea?  But yes have read about it.

BTW, you mention 5htp and seratonin... how does one know what is doing what?  Am definitely depressed...  and other times definitely very anxious.

Thx.  hope it works for you tomorrow as well and is not a fluke.

5HTP is a precursor to serotonin I read somewhere.

The lithium I've been using for a week was working but today is a rough day but I'm now beginning to feel the effects of my V taper kicking in I think. I've dropped by 2.5% so far and V reductions take a while to hit so my DLMT is catching up with me i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Can lithium orotate have a bad effect?  Just wondering.

Any bad interactions?

thx.

Not that I'm aware of but there aren't too many studies out there. LO ceased working for me after a few weeks so I'm back to square one although I had dropped 0.5mg of V over the period of time I was taking it.