Diflucan Fluconazole can bring back anxiety in withdrawal?

[Mo...]

In early May I started itchiness down there after a course of antibiotics. Tried Canesten cream and home remedies for 4 weeks, didn't go away, so went to a doctor and asked for anti fungal. I realized that around the time before taking Diflucan, my anxiety was almost gone. I took 2 Diflucan 2 weeks apart and then also used the  Canesten suppositories for 2 courses 2 weeks apart diffent times from Diflucan.

I was 9 months off Clonazepam, and while I had some other issues, the anxiety was almost gone, but I started feeling very anxious a couple weeks after Diflucan and Canesten suppositories, and it's now been almost 4 weeks and still feel anxious. The gaba supplement which used to agree with me earlier, is causing me problems now.

Did a conventional blood test for candida mid July and it came positive. Today another Doctor gave three capsules of Fluconazole. I had not connected the return of anxiety to Diflucan or Canesten, but thought about a possible connection today and wondered if those are what caused anxiety to return? So I am too scared to take fluconazole now.

Anyone had similar effects or didn't have any negative effects? What are the other alternatives, medicine or natural. Allergic to coconut so can't take coconut oil. Take garlic sometime.

I went into full WD from Fluconazole when I was tapering. I was in the ER and weeks later I can still barley walk. Messed me up. Be careful please. Look up being "Floxed" and google this for sad stories on the news I cant mention here.

Hi Pianoman, thanks for responding. For me it didn't happen right away, my anxiety came full blown or even worse after 2 weeks of taking the 2nd dose, and I am feeling feverish on and off since then, no high temperature though, nausea, vomitting, etc. since it started after 2 weeks I am wondering if it could be due to it. I understand that Diflucan or Fluconazole can cause liver problems, may be the liver slowed down and slowly symptoms started showing up? 

When you had gone to ER did they do your liver function test?

How long it took for you to come out of those symptoms?

Liver tests came back fine. Its all from the GABA receptors in your brain. It will take time to heal. Depends on the person, drug history of all kinds, genetics, ect... Some never recover. I have to quit ALL medications and detox. Quit Benzo a week ago but found muscle relaxer and even over the counter allergy meds mess me up.

Hi Pianoman

How long did it take for you to come out of the withdrawal,symptoms after taking Fluconazole.

Now I realize that this is exactly what has happened to me too. It didn't happen right away though, but a week or so after taking it, I have been feeling flu like symptoms and anxiety came way worse than it ever was.  I went to ER yesterday afternoon and as all my results came normal they made me stay overnight to observe me. They also gave me 200 mg Fluconazole by IV.  Stupid me, I didn't relate the connection even after reading your post and let them do it for me. I have been discharged but am feeling worse that I was when I went in. 

My actual withdrawal was nothing even close to what I am going through now.

They want me to take SSRI now, which I never want to. I will go and see a naturopath on Monday.

I really hope these symptoms go away soon.

Hey my friend. Its been hell since it happened. I had unbelievable nerve pain in my legs, bad vision, headache, weak, shortness of breath, and weird muscle cramps even in my hards from driving. The worst lasted for a week or two but Im still in bad shape. Weird thing is when I took more K it made me worse somehow and I ended up in ER which did nothing but give me fluids really. Drink a ton of fluids now!!! I am in bad shape still and am trying to reinstate as of today to stabilize. Im in such bad shape. Went back to .5 K. Sucks but I cant eat, barley walk for 10 minutes, and still have shallow breathing.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Moonstar in 2017 dec i was 8y free of benzos :) but i took Fluconazole (in US is Diflucan here is Mycosyst) 4times a month, and the hell begun :( full WD even if I was completly free of benzos and symptoms as well.

So it is 1y 1month and I still have anxiety and tinnitus, weak legs. So I think gaba was fucked up again... :( So now Im waiting until it will over and I promise myself that

I will never take any kind of pharmaceutical drugs - nothing. :) The last 4years was cool, i was totaly good :) and Now again in the hole of the rabbit.

I am lucky as I had no issues with Fluconazole.  I will share here that my ob/gyn said no oil, including coconut oil should be used, as any oil can be a breeding ground for yeast infections regardless of what home remedies may say otherwise. 

I am lucky as I had no issues with Fluconazole.  I will share here that my ob/gyn said no oil, including coconut oil should be used, as any oil can be a breeding ground for yeast infections regardless of what home remedies may say otherwise.

P.S.  My ob/gyn did indicate boric acid is an alternative, although I've never used it.  I have used over the counter Monistat 3-day treatment ovules with success as well. 

Thank you Firefly. It's been 6 momths for me since Fluconazole reaction and I just recently returned to work and am unable to take the stress and feeling very anxious.  I was considering going on AD or reinstatting benzo if Some supplements I plan to take don't help me or react, as the supplements have reacted until two weeks ago. I need to be able to go to work, so don't know how to handle this situation.  I certainly don't want to take those nasty drugs but I have to be working.  Any suggestions?

What do you od to deal with the anxiety?  Do you go to work with anxiety?

Hi,

Moonstar in 2017 dec i was 8y free of benzos :) but i took Fluconazole (in US is Diflucan here is Mycosyst) 4times a month, and the hell begun :( full WD even if I was completly free of benzos and symptoms as well.

So it is 1y 1month and I still have anxiety and tinnitus, weak legs. So I think gaba was fucked up again... :( So now Im waiting until it will over and I promise myself that

I will never take any kind of pharmaceutical drugs - nothing. :) The last 4years was cool, i was totaly good :) and Now again in the hole of the rabbit.

I had a reaction to the clotrimazole yeast medicine cream that I used in about 1/5th standard yeast dose for a rash.  I felt great on it, but crappy after I stopped it. There is a benzo contraindication warning on some or maybe most of the *azole* meds.  I think WebMD might have more info.

Hello Moonstar,

we are in a similar shoe just for me I have 8 months benefit against you. :) Today Im 1y 2m after Fluconazole. AND yes i KNOW what was happend. Fluconazole contains Fluoride which mess up your brain if you take 1mg more than your body can handle. I feel like im in WD again :) Fluoride is the most powerfull shit what can broke your body BUT there is a light at the end of the tunnel - and it is not the train :). You will be clear of this, but it will take a lot of time. Check this site: https://floxiehope.com/lisas-recovery-story-cipro-toxicity/comment-page-17/

Because you are probably Floxed as me.

And the answer to your question is yes, i had to work with anxiety... i was not able to handle even the smallest stress.

For me the most difficult thing is now non-stop tinnitus and insomnia... i can not fall asleep because of my fucked up GABA... But I hope it will pass soon aswell.

I never thought I'd write it here once. But I again get involved with the doctors' trap, from which I can climb out again.

OH i forgot!!! Do not take any kind of NSAID or steroid drugs like Ibuprofen or something like this! This is verry important... belive me. You can find more info on floxiehope.com.

I tried ibuprofen and after one 400mg pill I had brutal anxiety trough 5days. Do not run back for benzos or ssri, because your gaba is now verry sensitive.

You should NOT take any benzo or SSri again, it will mess up your full mind!! Just try to pray, relax, pure foods... and Dont give up!

Water intake daily minimum 3liters with fresh lemon it will help you to detox.

Time will heal us.

If you want to write feel free - im here again :) but just for a while :D

• 2 weeks later...

In the US we have a "ph balance" gel called RePhresh which comes OTC and is in premeasured applicators. I find if I use it occasionally when I feel my female parts are a bit off kilt it is great. I have always been very prone to Bacterial Vaginosis and the RePhresh mostly helps to ward this off. I also keep Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin) on hand,which is a type of "antibacterial" taking it in conjunction. I had to have surgery when only 2 to stretch my urethra tube and UTIs are also a lifelong issue for me. :(

I am currently on day 2 of 10 day course of Augmentin because I am sick. I always have had to use both Nystantin orally and the Diflucan pills (approx 2 doses) any time I have to take antibiotics. As bad as I'm feeling from bronchitis I abhore the thoughts of what the Diflucan may do while I'm tapering the Xanax!  :o

Hoping that things get better for you soon!  :)

Those drugs are just evil in general, much like benzos are!

My mom was on cipro and felt like all of her muscles were tearing! She's never touched a benzo

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know of any articles in journals where it can confirm that Fluconazole can cause long terms side effects?  I need to prove to my health insurance company that I am still unwell due to effects of fluconazole.  Any help much appreciated.