Need plan to get off Klonopin! Thanks for input!!!!!

[he...]

Hi everyone!

I started Klonopin 1mg in January 2009 (so for 16 months now) for high anxiety. I have unfortunately become dependent upon it to sleep at night, even when I take melatonin, 5-HTP, chamomile tee and any other natural sedatives. For the past 6 months, I have been cutting them in half taking .5mg every night. I have more recently started to cut the halves in half, but suffered bad withdrawals and had to unfortunately bump back up to .5mg.  I am interested in the water filtration method, and have acquired the necessary tools from the pharmacy. I may also ask my dr. about some type of liquid suspension. I appreciate any input! I just want OFF of this stuff, but also fear not being able to sleep without it. Thanks kindlY for any input regarding a PLAN to get me started! ~Heather 

Hi, Heather. 

You will need to supply Colin with the following information in order for him to create a tittration taper schedule for you:

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Dose: the dose you anticipate you be taking at the start date (in mgs).

Tablet dose: the dose of your individual tablets.

Number of tablets: the total number (and/or fractions) of tablets you take per day. Examples: 2 tabs; 2.5 tabs; 0.75 tabs. These are the number of tablets (not doses), and the tablets used must be of the same dosage (strength).

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

Try to post the info at least a couple of days before your desired start date to give him enough time to see your post and create and post your schedule.

Thanks kindly for the input! I am very new to this board and still making my way around. Where do I go in order to get in touch with Colin?

Thank you much!

Hi Heather,

Just post here when you have all of the information ready, Colin or someone from the team will see it and respond when they're available.  :thumbsup:

Pam

Greetings,

I started Clonozepam(Klonopin) 1mg in January 2009 for high anxiety. I have unfortunately become dependent upon it to sleep at night. For the past 6 months, I have been cutting them in half taking .5mg every night. I have more recently started to cut the halves in half, but suffered bad withdrawals and had to unfortunately bump back up to .5mg.  I am interested in the water filtration method and would greatly appreciate any help in getting a titration schedule devised! ~ Heather :)

Start date: Immediately

Dose: .5mg

Tablet dose: 1mg

Number of tablets: ½ tablet per day at bedtime.

Taper rate: Preferably 10% every 10 days

Cylinder details: 140 ml, with increments of 20,40,60,80,100,120, and 140

I think you need just one additional bit of information, heather:  You said you wanted to taper 10% but you didn't say over what period of time.  In other words, I'm pretty sure you don't want to decrease your dose 10% each day.  ::)  It's kind of standard to start out at 10% every 10 days but it can be anything you want.

Thanks much, Pam ! I reposted it with the correct info, but have not heard back from anyone just yet as to how to start. I appreciate any input! I am excited to get started! Thanks kindly! :) ~ Heather

Hi Heather,

Here is a simplified version of the titration taper using the cylinder you have.

Crush and mix thoroughly, your 0.5mg pill half in 140ml's of liquid every day. You will make this same mixture every day.

So,

Week one....Make your 0.5mg/140ml liquid mixture, blend thoroughly and immediately remove 20mls. Drink the remaining mixture. Repeat this daily for the remainder of the week.

week two....Make your mixture and remove 40ml's. Do the same as above.

week three....Remove 60 ml's. Do the same as above.

etc...Continue this, removing an extra 20mls with each new week. It will take you 7 weeks, or 49 days, to complete.

Keep a note book so you don't lose track.

You can always adjust the amount and/or rate depending on how you are feeling.

Let me know if it makes sense!

I appreciate the input! I started titration last night but didn't sleep very well at all. It normally knocks me right out. Does the watering down affect the potency? I also only have spoons to crush it. I appreciate the input as always!  :) ~ Heather