Full Time worker support group

[fr...]

The old one isn’t active anymore so I thought I’d start a new one. I work full time (home currently due to a stomach virus) and I think it helps distract me from anxiety when it gets really bad. Other times it’s a stressor. But the bills don’t pay themselves :)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [bo...]

• [Gw...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I will join! I work full time and have really struggled last seven! months due to severe nausea. I have also changed jobs during this time and am changing jobs again next month, another stressor--the new job literally fell into my lap and is a lot more money. I am beginning to be terrified that I will not be able to continue to work, but I have one in college and one in private school, so I really have no choice.

Feel better; stomach viruses are no fun.

Thanks so much. I got so bad that I ended up in the ER.

I hate missing work but it feels good to be hydrated.

Lol

• 1 month later...

Is this still going?  :)

I started back to work in August (technically April but i was tapering Seroquel over the summer so was doing projects from home); I’m a college professor and was out for a little over a year (see my sig for all of the fun drugs I was tapering off of).

It’s definitely stressful to return - the anxiety crisis that set off my health adventure was caused by a small group of my fellow faculty members (should I mention they are in my department? Ugh.). So far the teaching has been good - I’m about 50 and still really enjoy being in the classroom. The hard part is trying to get things straightened out so my dept behaves in a professional manner. I’ve been over two humps so far - and they have gone fine - but now I’m facing a third and the anxiety is really kicking in. Lots of nausea and racing thoughts.

I hope you are both doing well IJN and NJ!

- Fiskadoro

Oooh, I'll join! I teach GED classes in an inner city community nonprofit. I really enjoy what I do, but it is a very demanding, fast-paced job. Thankfully, my employers have been great about it all - I disclosed more to my supervisor and coworkers than I needed to, but they have been supportive and given me the schedule flexibility I needed to get through the worst of it. Don't get me wrong - I burned through most of my PTO and my performance definitely suffered, but I had a note from my doctor placing me on "light duty" and I managed. Bills got paid, minimum job duties met.

I got the "all clear" from my doctor over Labor Day weekend, and I'm trying to do more as I feel better. The biggest change since then has been working outside regular office hours again. I still have poor sleep and morning dread, so making it in can be a struggle. Poor appetite and digestion make it hard to focus and keep energy levels up. Trying to establish productive habits and routines as I do more than just "phone it in." I will say, though, I've really come to appreciate the value of work/life balance!

Gwinna

Congrats on the “all clear” Gwinna!

I also have the morning dread and persistent nausea. I think these are pretty common but they’re also exacerbated by real stressors - like returning to a regular work schedule.  Neither is at all enjoyable, though, so I wish you strength in dealing with them. I think finding that “work/life balance” is the right way to go. Take it easy on yourself and your strength will return.

- Fiskadoro

I've been working since I started tapering 3 and a half months ago. It's been tough and stress at work definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Weekends are better but Sunday nights I usually sleep worse anticipating the Monday workday. I'm now anxious in social situations in which I had no anxiety before, for example where I interview somebody. Usually, when I stabilize on a dose, it gets better. There are days when I feel I can't continue working. Until last weeks my symptoms included mostly anxiety, headaches and stomachaches, and insomnia. Last week a new scary symptom reared its ugly head, almost crippling fatigue. That's when I realized I have to slow down my taper, because I can't work if I'm unable to walk, drive and get to work.

Hi Maugham,

I know that Sunday night feeling - it really sucks. And, of course, makes Monday harder. The fatigue is rough, too. I think you’re right to slow down your taper. Your body will let you know when to pick it up again. And, when you do, you can go at your pace.

Hang in there!

- Fiskadoro

Fiskadoro, thanks for the words of encouragement, and congrats on getting back to work. I take a scalding hot shower in the morning before work and another one as soon as I get home to help with the anxiety. Do you have any tips? Been considering meditation or yoga.

Maugham, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Sunday nights/Monday mornings are the worst. Hang in there, we will get through this!

Gwinna

Does anyone know how to get ahold of on going support for us in bad shape and still needing to taper after massive polydrugging, from docs, treating my brain injury with more drugs🤦🏻‍♂️?? Via phone or in person or Skype, FaceTime etc. I need more help. I live in California. Thank you!

I've been working since I started tapering 3 and a half months ago. It's been tough and stress at work definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Weekends are better but Sunday nights I usually sleep worse anticipating the Monday workday. I'm now anxious in social situations in which I had no anxiety before, for example where I interview somebody. Usually, when I stabilize on a dose, it gets better. There are days when I feel I can't continue working. Until last weeks my symptoms included mostly anxiety, headaches and stomachaches, and insomnia. Last week a new scary symptom reared its ugly head, almost crippling fatigue. That's when I realized I have to slow down my taper, because I can't work if I'm unable to walk, drive and get to work.

You have cut a lot in a short time, which is great, but I am sure that slowing down will help you.

Benzh8tr: I think there are forums here in “Support Groups” that have been started by people looking for in-person support. You might also try a global search of the site. I hope you find what you’re looking for!

Gwinna: I get good results for mild anxiety from just doing deep breathing exercises. I have a lot of fatigue right now which makes the prospect of yoga a little daunting. The heavier anxiety - like when I’m dealing with a particular stressor - I either just try to roll with it (easier said than done) or distract myself with chores, etc. I’m glad to hear you’ve found some things that work for you!

- Fiskadoro

Does anyone know how to get ahold of on going support for us in bad shape and still needing to taper after massive polydrugging, from docs, treating my brain injury with more drugs🤦🏻‍♂️?? Via phone or in person or Skype, FaceTime etc. I need more help. I live in California. Thank you!

Hello Benzh8r,

Believe me, I know just how difficult it is to go through withdrawal. Often, there is a feeling of isolation. While it could be a positive thing to link up with someone in person or over the phone or Skype, here at Benzo Buddies we don't allow sharing of personal information. This includes phone numbers, addresses  and emails.  The reason for this is simple, we respect and protect the privacy of our members. Our wish is for members to remain anonymous.  Most people are genuine but on the off chance that someone might misrepresent themselves, we established rules and guidelines about this matter.

When I was in the thick of things I was on the forum day and night. Sometimes just to read and other times to connect with my buddies.  I had several buddies here, we supported each other, gave each other virtual hugs, celebrated milestones and had more than a few pity parties.  These people, and the forum, got me through withdrawal recovery.  So, it's possible to get good support here even though it is an online forum.

You are not permitted to post your contact details to the BenzoBuddies forum. Nor should you solicit the contact details of other members. Links to, or requests to join, Facebook or any other social networking websites which might potentially identify members' true identities are not allowed

Thanks for understanding.

pianogirl

Hello!

Work is picking up and getting stressful, but I’m trying to implement healthy habits like workin our to relieve stress and eating better. Also crying helps lol.

Free

Hi freeIJN,

I’ve found that habits - of all sorts: behavioral, sleeping, eating, exercising, etc. - are very helpful during withdrawal. I think they let your body and mind relax while also keeping them active. I hope your habits are alleviating some of the new stress at work. And, yes, sometimes a good cry is very cathartic. Weirdly, I’ve also found that a good sneezing fit can help my nausea! I think it loosens the diaphragm? Who knows? Any port in a storm.

- Fiskadoro

I am only about a month into my xanax taper,  I work full time as a nurse so i'm going low and slow as I have to be able to function. At this point my taper hasn't been bad, my worry about starting it felt worse than actually starting.  When I have a few days off in a row is when I feel the worst but then again I kind of always got a little anxious sitting around at home.  I do think work has been a good distraction for me.  I just pray it continues to go smoothly.

Jess

I work full time too. My job is not at all challenging. So I thought it would be good to start to taper.

My boss just told me yesterday my responsibilities will change in a month. It sounds like work I'll enjoy, but this taper has made me stupid! Now I'm wondering I should keep tapering or go back to my normal dose. I'm glad I have work. I had cancer 3 years ago, and didn't work for a year after treatment and it drove me crazy sitting at home doing nothing. I think if I were doing that now with this taper there would be no way I could do it.

Oh the hold these drugs have on our minds...

I so agree about routines being helpful! Walking is my favorite - my husband and I walk the dog for 2-3 miles several times a week, and I get so much out of the exercise and distraction. We live in the city and spent the first two years basically hiding inside, but now we're out exploring our neighborhood a bit and getting to feel more comfortable. We have favorite trails along the river just a short drive away, plus some more involved destinations for the weekends to keep things interesting.

I've mentioned before that when I started my taper, I tracked all my daily activities in a spreadsheet and set goals that were easy enough to accomplish but numerous enough to keep me active. Everything from what I ate, to whether I made it through the full work day, to exercise, journaling, reading, socializing, etc. I don't pay the same attention to detail that I did at first, but I'm still using some of that momentum to stay focused as I heal.

Does anyone else feel that all of their energy and coping skills are geared to get them through the work day, so there's no "spoons" left once they get home? I've been biting my poor husband's head off almost constantly even while he does more than his share of errands and housework. He has the patience of a saint and I want to do better by him.

HopeToDoThis, I didn't know you were a cancer survivor! To have been through treatment before, and benzo withdrawal now, must take incredible courage and perseverance. Withdrawal might cause you to doubt your inner strength, but it can never take it from you! You're an inspiration.

This weekend I'm at the beach trying to take my mind off of work stress. The place where we are staying is right on the water, with amazing acoustics - the ocean is quite loud, and very soothing to listen to at night. I even managed a nap yesterday! Trying not to worry about the dreaded Monday.

Take care everybody!

I refuse to let this thread leave the first page! ;D

Gwinna: I hope you had a great time at the beach. I find it very relaxing, too. I live in Chicago just a few blocks from Lake Michigan. Not the ocean, but it definitely has waves.

It’s been a tough week for me. Work doesn’t seem to appreciate the fact that while I am able to return to work, they could do little things to make it easier. Sigh. So, anxiety is up while I try to get things settled into place.

How about the rest of you - how are things going midweek?

- Fiskadoro

I refuse to let this thread leave the first page! ;D

Gwinna: I hope you had a great time at the beach. I find it very relaxing, too. I live in Chicago just a few blocks from Lake Michigan. Not the ocean, but it definitely has waves.

It’s been a tough week for me. Work doesn’t seem to appreciate the fact that while I am able to return to work, they could do little things to make it easier. Sigh. So, anxiety is up while I try to get things settled into place.

How about the rest of you - how are things going midweek?

- Fiskadoro

Rough. I work in mental health research and listen to people talk about their drugs, PTSD, depression, anxiety, SI, SA, etc etc etc. Also when I encounter people on benzo and my supervising physician says “we can wean them off in a month” and I cringe/walk away. 

Daily irony.

I’m still earning that salary tho 💅🏾

I'm doing OK? I was thinking I had a mini-episode this morning, a little bit of the terrors sneaking up on me. But now I kinda feel OK. The brain fog is there, but I'm sort of getting used to it and seem to be functioning OK. It's weird. I don't feel "normal" but yet how I'm feeling this afternoon isn't bothering me. I was actually able to complete some tasks at work today without feeling overwhelmed about it like I have in the last several weeks.  "Onward and upward" as my father used to say.

How is everyone else?

I'm doing pretty good,  i'm glad you're ok. We can live with ok. I'm thinking of making a cut this weekend.  I try to cut when I work because I seem to notice it less.  Still plugging along.

Do you all think it's possible to heal while working a stressful full-time job? I have been wondering this for a while. I am a high school English teacher and often times I even go in on the weekend and correct stuff. 

I am also feeling okay. I can work with okay. The wave I felt at 3-4 weeks off seems to have subsided, sleep and appetite are improving, anxiety and nausea are lessening. Still relying pretty heavily on routines to manage it all, and taking it easy for the most part. I keep wanting to put in longer days because I feel behind, but I think I'm just finding a new flow after so long on light duty. I know I'm healing, which helps me to be patient. Really irritable though...looking forward to having my full strength back.

Gwinna