Author Topic: Full Time worker support group  (Read 12350 times)

[Buddie]

Full Time worker support group
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:43:21 am »
The old one isnít active anymore so I thought Iíd start a new one. I work full time (home currently due to a stomach virus) and I think it helps distract me from anxiety when it gets really bad. Other times itís a stressor. But the bills donít pay themselves :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Full Time worker support group
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »
I will join! I work full time and have really struggled last seven! months due to severe nausea. I have also changed jobs during this time and am changing jobs again next month, another stressor--the new job literally fell into my lap and is a lot more money. I am beginning to be terrified that I will not be able to continue to work, but I have one in college and one in private school, so I really have no choice.

Feel better; stomach viruses are no fun.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40:41 pm »
Thanks so much. I got so bad that I ended up in the ER.
I hate missing work but it feels good to be hydrated.

Lol

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48:14 pm »
Is this still going?  :)

I started back to work in August (technically April but i was tapering Seroquel over the summer so was doing projects from home); Iím a college professor and was out for a little over a year (see my sig for all of the fun drugs I was tapering off of).

Itís definitely stressful to return - the anxiety crisis that set off my health adventure was caused by a small group of my fellow faculty members (should I mention they are in my department? Ugh.). So far the teaching has been good - Iím about 50 and still really enjoy being in the classroom. The hard part is trying to get things straightened out so my dept behaves in a professional manner. Iíve been over two humps so far - and they have gone fine - but now Iím facing a third and the anxiety is really kicking in. Lots of nausea and racing thoughts.

I [...] you are both doing well IJN and[...]!

- [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:07:09 pm »
Oooh, I'll join! I teach GED classes in an inner city community nonprofit. I really enjoy what I do, but it is a very demanding, fast-paced job. Thankfully, my employers have been great about it all - I disclosed more to my supervisor and coworkers than I needed to, but they have been supportive and given me the schedule flexibility I needed to get through the worst of it. Don't get me wrong - I burned through most of my PTO and my performance definitely suffered, but I had a note from my doctor placing me on "light duty" and I managed. Bills got paid, minimum job duties met.

I got the "all clear" from my doctor over Labor Day weekend, and I'm trying to do more as I feel better. The biggest change since then has been working outside regular office hours again. I still have poor sleep and morning dread, so making it in can be a struggle. Poor appetite and digestion make it hard to focus and keep energy levels up. Trying to establish productive habits and routines as I do more than just "phone it in." I will say, though, I've really come to appreciate the value of work/life balance!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »
Congrats on the ďall clearĒ [...]!

I also have the morning dread and persistent nausea. I think these are pretty common but theyíre also exacerbated by real stressors - like returning to a regular work schedule.  Neither is at all enjoyable, though, so I wish you strength in dealing with them. I think finding that ďwork/life balanceĒ is the right way to go. Take it easy on yourself and your strength will return.

- [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:46:45 pm »
I've been working since I started tapering 3 and a half months ago. It's been tough and stress at work definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Weekends are better but Sunday nights I usually sleep worse anticipating the Monday workday. I'm now anxious in social situations in which I had no anxiety before, for example where I interview somebody. Usually, when I stabilize on a dose, it gets better. There are days when I feel I can't continue working. Until last weeks my symptoms included mostly anxiety, headaches and stomachaches, and insomnia. Last week a new scary symptom reared its ugly head, almost crippling fatigue. That's when I realized I have to slow down my taper, because I can't work if I'm unable to walk, drive and get to work.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »
Hi [...],

I know that Sunday night feeling - it really sucks. And, of course, makes Monday harder. The fatigue is rough, too. I think youíre right to slow down your taper. Your body will let you know when to pick it up again. And, when you do, you can go at your pace.

Hang in there!

- [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:55:39 pm »
[...], thanks for the words of encouragement, and congrats on getting back to work. I take a scalding hot shower in the morning before work and another one as soon as I get home to help with the anxiety. Do you have any tips? Been considering meditation or yoga.

[...], I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Sunday nights/Monday mornings are the worst. Hang in there, we will get through this!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:48 pm »
Does anyone know how to get ahold of on going support for us in bad shape and still needing to taper after massive polydrugging, from docs, treating my brain injury with more drugs🤦🏻‍♂️?? Via phone or in person or Skype, FaceTime etc. I need more help. I live in California. Thank you!