New to this site

[WI...]

I have succcessfully tapered off of 2mg clonazepam daily after 14 years as of January 2010 and am still taking 30mg (been using 3 1/2 years) temazepam at night.  I think I am reaching a point of withdrawal with temazepam even while taking the medication.  I tapered off of clonazapem using the valium taper.  I am hoping I can taper off the temazepam using titration of temazepam rather than switch to valium.  Is this possible?

Hi WILLIAM, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on your successful taper from Clonazepam!  I agree that it's probably time to get off the Temazepam too.  You can taper directly from it if you'd like, we don't see that much Temazepam use here, but all direct tapers are possible.

We can help you figure out a taper, we're glad you're here.

Pam

Hi William,

Welcome to BB  :)

As Pam said you can certainly do a direct taper off of Temazepam, and we are here to help.  Check out the titration forum and post any questions you may have.  You will receive all the support and advise you need.

Congrats on being Clonazepam free!!!!  Well done!!!

I know there is a member who is tapering of off Temazepem.    For the life of me I can't remember who it is.  I will try and find the post for you  Pamster do you remember? 

William,

Hope4Me is the member who is tapering from T.  There is also a guy ....I just can't remember right now.  You should PM her (Personal message).  She might have some good info.

Hi William! :)  Melissa7 is right, I am currently tapering from Temazepam.  Feel free to PM me.  There are also a couple of others who have successfully tapered off of it as well.

I'm tapering using Valium, partly because this is my 3rd go-around with Benzo's (UGH!!), and for me, once I realized Temazepam/Restoril was a Benzo, I freaked, and didn't feel I could straight taper easily.

You know your body best.  If you feel you can do the Titration method... go for it!  If you read my "Welcome to the Community" thread, you'll see a couple of guys, Jwm1 and Donjulio, posted about their experiences with temazepam on the second page. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=20306.10

Right now, I'm on 7.5mg Temazepam and 12mg Valium.  In about another week, I'll take out the Temazepam completely, and up the Valium to 15 to balance out Benzo levels, then start tapering off the Valium 1mg at a time every 1-2 weeks.  A long, slow process, but the best one for me.

William good luck  you will find lots of support here.

Hope I just read your signature again.  Can't believe he prescribed that to you without telling you what it was.  I recently saw a doc who prescribed it for me to use during my taper from Ativan.  Luckily I knew from all the reading I'd been doing.  I was like  Hey isn't that a benzo too?  Yes she said but it's really important to get sleep if you are bipolar.  Hmmmmm I didn't know I was bipolar.  Saw a new doc yesterday....said no you definitely are not bi polar.  What a crazy ride all this stuff is.

Anyhow just think it's unbelievable.

Melissa, yeah, I know, huh!  :o  Sleep is important... BUT not at the expense of causing us to become addicted to a drug that causes rebound insomnia (duh!), and a whole slue of other issues.  Especially in your case, if it's not called for.

However, in nearly all our cases, how much better off would we all be if our Dr.'s would have prescribed Yoga, Meditation, a healthy diet and exercise as opposed to Benzo's?  Okay, soapbox.... :tickedoff: 

• 1 month later...

I have been on Temazepam 30 mg for 4 years taken before bedtime.  I have tapered off of Clonazepam with my last dose being early January.  I am ready to try to taper off of the Temazepam now using titration.  I would like to know the recommended cuts and schedule to carry this out the least painful way.  I believe I may be in tolerance withdrawal already as was was for 3 years before I tapered off of Clonazepam.  My biggest concern is the sleep. I have all the equipment described in the titration procedures.  I also have left over from the Clonazepam withdrawal some Clonazepam and Diazepam.  Are these of any use to help in the Temazepam withdrawal concerning the sleep issue?  The date I want to start is the day I get a reply with the requested recommendations.

Thanks,

William

Hi WILLIAM,

It's good to see you back, we can help you get off of the Temazepam, but please don't take any Valium or Klonopin to do this.  Reaching for another benzo while you're trying to become benzo free wouldn't be wise.  We have many tips for sleep on the Insomnia board, we find the natural methods to be the best.

You can start a thread on the titration board located here:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0 

Be sure to provide the information contained in this link:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=11093.0

It might be a few days before one can be drawn up for you, so please be patient.

Pam